Say goodbye to Fouts

Harry

6 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

I know UNT needs parking, but adding 1000 spots on the university's 35 frontage is going to look real ugly. A parking structure would be a slight improvement, but those are insanely expensive.

6 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

I know UNT needs parking, but adding 1000 spots on the university's 35 frontage is going to look real ugly. A parking structure would be a slight improvement, but those are insanely expensive.

No way it stays as parking. They'll use that land at some point. It's too valuable. But surface parking is cheap to build and they definitely need parking for the time being. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

I've been told that elevated garage parking costs about $10,000. per space.  In he short run, I wish the existing artificial turf could be striped over the carpet and people could part on the 30 or 40 or end zone.   I also like the notion of a plaque remembering the location of the 50 yard line and /or the goal lines.

GO MEAN GREEN

Edited by greenjoe
  • Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I've been told that elevated garage parking costs about $10,000. per space.  In he short run, I wish the existing artificial turf could be striped over the carpet and people could part on the 30 or 40 or end zone.   I also like the notion of a plaque remembering the location of the 50 yard line and /or the goal lines.

GO MEAN GREEN

I wish they would do something similar for the current Willis Library location. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

56 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

👍

Yep. The only thing left of the old stadium is the service road (part of the old track) running around the NW side of the Library. When I was in High School band we came to the campus for a spring UIL contest. After we finished our performance some buddies and I stepped out on the back porch of the old lab school and watched the Greek Olympics. 

Here is a 1965 aerial view. Old Eagle Stadium and the west stands are right behind the Administration building.

high_res_d

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth163941/m1/1/

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, oldguystudent said:

No way. The interior of campus should be for people and buildings. It's already bad enough that we have a street grid running through campus. 

Last word was that Willis was going to be incorporated into a hypothetical new library, where that ugly music building is to the west.

• Lovely Take 1

56 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

👍

Yep. The only thing left of the old stadium is the service road (part of the old track) running around the NW side of the Library. When I was in High School band we came to the campus for a spring UIL contest. After we finished our performance some buddies and I stepped out on the back porch of the old lab school and watched the Greek Olympics. 

Here is a 1965 aerial view. Old Eagle Stadium and the west stands are right behind the Administration building.

high_res_d

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth163941/m1/1/

Can you image how cool it would be if your stadium was still in this spot?  connected to the admin building, lighting the tower right there at the stadium, tailgating all through campus, etc....

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, southsideguy said:

They could put a plaque in the parking lot where the fifty-yard line like the Rangers did with home plate at the old field when they moved to the ballpark but I guess the old one has been taken out for the new stadium now.

I think this is a great idea!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

No way. The interior of campus should be for people and buildings. It's already bad enough that we have a street grid running through campus. 

Last word was that Willis was going to be incorporated into a hypothetical new library, where that ugly music building is to the west.

image.png.739316ed4cd6db32b11e12970dcca9b0.png

This is a picture of a potential render (not final design) of what a renovated Willis would look like. All links to where I got this picture from no longer seem to work, but hey I at least still had the picture.

44 minutes ago, dmaxel said:

This is a picture of a potential render (not final design) of what a renovated Willis would look like. All links to where I got this picture from no longer seem to work, but hey I at least still had the picture.

Yeah, thats the one. I sat in on a meeting when I was on the grad student council and this came up back in 2016, but I can't find it on the website either.

Living in Clark hall it was awesome just to go running around the track whenever I wanted to.  Top games forever etched in memory: 

1 Nevada rain win 

2 Oregon state win

3 Baylor rout 

4 New Mexico State win (listened to it📻)

5 SMU win 

Also the whole necessary roughness filming happening around campus and the stadium turned into a stage for the filming. 

Thank you Fouts Field!

GMG

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Ibleedgreen said:

The reliefs that were on the old women's gym (later named Stovall Hall) have been incorporated into the brickwork in front of the new Union, where Stovall Hall used to stand. It looks really nice and preserves that history. Perhaps something similar could be done at Apogee.

Apogee is complete; I don't see the reliefs going there.  But the construction of the indoor practice facility has just started, so there's an opportunity to use them.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

The UNT-ROTC program has a supply room under the bleachers at Fouts Field. When they started gutting the place it disturbed all the asbestos within the walls. Needles to say it’s been a pain to work around that issue. So yes...good riddance.

• Upvote 1

On 11/2/2018 at 1:29 PM, meangreenlax said:

On 11/2/2018 at 6:15 PM, dmaxel said:

Ya’ll have it partially correct.

This rendering shows an expansion and new entrance of Willis abutting Highland Street.

Where the Music Annex is now will eventually be a Library Annex. First it’s basic structure will be put in as a swing space to still house the existing MA uses while new Music facilities replace Bain Hall, Practice North, and South.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Thanks 1

On 11/2/2018 at 11:43 AM, greenjoe said:

GO MEAN GREEN

On 11/2/2018 at 11:52 AM, oldguystudent said:

On 11/2/2018 at 1:29 PM, meangreenlax said:

@meangreenlax, I’m pretty sure @oldguystudent was talking about putting a plaque at Willis Library remembering the location of Eagle Stadium, not tearing down Willis to build a parking lot.  

• Lovely Take 1

Although a  parking lot in the center of the campus would be a good idea.  People could park in the center and radiate out like a daisy rather than park on one side and walk to the entire other side of the campus.  If we ever build another campus from scratch remind me of this.

GO MEAN GREEN