Say goodbye to Fouts

Harry

This is both a sad and happy event/milestone.

I'll never forget that weight room underneath the West side.  It was dark, wet and ugly. We finally got a new one around 1985/86 and it was such an improvement, but would probably be laughed at by today's standards.  Around the same time we removed the old cinder track and the grass field replaced with artificial turf.   It's still amazing we could recruit anybody with those facilities.

• Upvote 3

It needs to be asked one more time whether the reliefs on the outside of Fouts are being preserved.  If the ones from the student side were preserved, where are they?

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3021/2910936296_f54a5013b2_b.jpg

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3296/2910936212_eabc0a1ba0_b.jpg

I guess I'll be wearing my "Fouts Field Finale" t-shirt at the FAU game.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

I think it's sad. Although I'm to young to have suffered through the seasons like a lot of you older folk went through. I started following UNT football in 2010, so I went to a couple games in Fouts before it closed up shop. hard to believe all that history will now be where cars can sit. Parking is a scarce thing to come by for a student though.. I had a good laugh at some of your comments in the 2003 thread, where you had to pee on the wall. Lol

I hope they keep some pieces of Fouts to preserve the memory.

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I think it's sad. Although I'm to young to have suffered through the seasons like a lot of you older folk went through. I started following UNT football in 2010, so I went to a couple games in Fouts before it closed up shop. hard to believe all that history will now be where cars can sit. Parking is a scarce thing to come by for a student though.. I had a good laugh at some of your comments in the 2003 thread, where you had to pee on the wall. Lol

I hope they keep some pieces of Fouts to preserve the memory.

HAD to pee on the wall?  Hell, that was one of the. few fun things about Fouts.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Stix said:

It needs to be asked one more time whether the reliefs on the outside of Fouts are being preserved.  If the ones from the student side were preserved, where are they?

Need you active twitterers to get after Wren on this.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Stix said:

• Upvote 1

Yes it is time for Fouts to go, but with it will go many wonderful memories from hundreds of Athletes. The great track teams that NT has had in the past, the hundreds of football players, some who went on to the pro leagues that made Fouts their home since the 50's. The great Coaches that have passed through those gates that taught young boys to become good men. To all those people Fouts served its purpose at the college level. Fouts also served many young athletes in High School during the 50's and 60's when going to Denton to run on a good cinder track was a great experience. As one that had that experience in the 50's and also had the opportunity to play football at NT in the 60's, even though it was not much compared to today, during those wonderful years it did a great job for all those that had the opportunity to step foot on its turf.  Yes it is time for it to go, but history should treat it well.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4

Many great memories of some exciting games, snowball fights, chants and then sitting on the alumni side and taking my daughter and her friends to games and the cheerleaders would take them onto the field after games 🙂 .  Memories will always be there long after the stadium is gone!!!

GO MEAN GREEEN !!!!!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully some sort of reliefs are saved (whether the ones that were supposedly taken out a few years ago, or those that are left).  Those things were really cool.  Even as a child I remembered thinking how neat they were everytime we drove passed the stadium.

Edited by CMJ
  • Lovely Take 1

4 minutes ago, CMJ said:

Hopefully some sort of reliefs are saved (whether the ones that were supposedly taken out a few years ago, or those that are left).  Those things were really cool.  Even as a child I remembered thinking how neat they were everytime we drove passed the stadium.

Fouts was certainly better looking from the outside, than the inside.    From I-35, it looks more like a traditional FB stadium than Apogee.  Don't get me wrong though, I love apogee and games at Fouts had some real shortcomings (sight lines, track, vendors, urinals (ugghh), noise  dispursement, etc).   

See you later McNeese State !

• Upvote 2