Zach and the Russian battling down low

Harry

Sorry Harry,
This isn't pointed at just you, but...

His name is Mark Tikhonenko.
He goes by "Tikho" for short, if "Mark" is too hard.   I happen to think both are fairly easy to remember.

I think it's time to stop referring to one of our players as "the Russian".   That's the kind of disparaging thing we do to other teams' players.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Sorry Harry,

He goes by "Tikho" for short, if "Mark" is too hard.   I happen to think both are fairly easy to remember.

I think it's time to stop referring to one of our players as "the Russian".   That's the kind of disparaging thing we do to other teams' players.

Agree to disagree.?  I think it's cool. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Sorry Harry,

1 hour ago, HoustonEagle said:

Agree to disagree.?  I think it's cool. 

I was going to address this on the pod. Nothing wrong with a nickname, and nothing wrong with a nickname alluding to someone’s nationality or country of origin as long as they aren’t stereotyping or being otherwise narrow-minded.

I think the vast majority of posts alluding to Mark Tikhonenko have referred to him as “The Russian” not as a legitimate nickname but out of convenience. Most don’t want to take the time to learn a 4-syllable name. To quote MeanGreenTexan “His name is Mark Tikhonenko.
He goes by "Tikho" for short, if "Mark" is too hard.   I happen to think both are fairly easy to remember.”

I don’t think calling him “The Russian” is insensitive. I just think it’s either A. A lazy placeholder for people who don’t want to learn his name or B. As unoriginal a nickname as it gets and we can do better than that, folks.

His twitter handle is @Tiki_Jr14 so my clubhouse leader for his nickname is Tiki Torch because he’s gonna light it up from deep. So if there’s one thing that sums up my post, it’s that cheesy, Dad-jokey nicknames are always the way to go and “The Russian” ain’t that.

SN: Good sign to see him and Zach pushing each other and battling down low. If Tikhonenko is physical down low and hitting from deep he gives us something that we don’t have anywhere else on the roster. A legit, plus-sized stretch four.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I was going to address this on the pod. Nothing wrong with a nickname, and nothing wrong with a nickname alluding to someone’s nationality or country of origin as long as they aren’t stereotyping or being otherwise narrow-minded.

I think the vast majority of posts alluding to Mark Tikhonenko have referred to him as “The Russian” not as a legitimate nickname but out of convenience. Most don’t want to take the time to learn a 4-syllable name. To quote MeanGreenTexan “His name is Mark Tikhonenko.
He goes by "Tikho" for short, if "Mark" is too hard.   I happen to think both are fairly easy to remember.”

I don’t think calling him “The Russian” is insensitive. I just think it’s either A. A lazy placeholder for people who don’t want to learn his name or B. As unoriginal a nickname as it gets and we can do better than that, folks.

His twitter handle is @Tiki_Jr14 so my clubhouse leader for his nickname is Tiki Torch because he’s gonna light it up from deep. So if there’s one thing that sums up my post, it’s that cheesy, Dad-jokey nicknames are always the way to go and “The Russian” ain’t that.

SN: Good sign to see him and Zach pushing each other and battling down low. If Tikhonenko is physical down low and hitting from deep he gives us something that we don’t have anywhere else on the roster. A legit, plus-sized stretch four.

If you ever gave me the nickname Tiki Torch we would have words.  That would elicit fears in the mosquito population but not opponents.  Moscow Mauler is already taken, sadly. 

1 hour ago, HoustonEagle said:

If you ever gave me the nickname Tiki Torch we would have words.  That would elicit fears in the mosquito population but not opponents.  Moscow Mauler is already taken, sadly. 

Agree. How about "Tikho the Impaler" ...no, that fearsome dude was Romanian.  If we stick to just basketball and he does display his outside shot, just "The Torch" might work just fine.

But, if he can hit 80% of his freethrows, I'm gonna call him "Mr. Tikhonenko".

Edited by EagleMBA