Enough is enough, gun control is needed now

2 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

No,....one or two lousy cops out of tens of thousands of good ones who make the correct calls every day that you never hear about.  

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:34 PM, FirefightnRick said:

No,....one or two lousy cops out of tens of thousands of good ones who make the correct calls every day that you never hear about.  

Rick

Yeah, we should also remember that's it's a few tens of thousands of radical Islamics out of hundreds of millions of decent members of that faith who you never hear about.  A few criminal thousands out of tens of millions of urban minority youths who  you never hear about.  A couple (maybe) of radical Middle Easterners out out 3,500 desperate migrants.

You get the idea.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 5

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

You mean just a couple of hundred million out of 1.8 billion.....which has nothing to do with negligent homicide by lousy cops.  

Rick

No, but it does have a lot to do with judging the many based on the bad behavior of the few.  But you knew that.

• Downvote 3

On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:47 AM, Rudy said:

There's a HUGE difference between a police officer who makes a bad decision and someone who intentionally drives a van into a crowd, blows themselves up, etc.

You're right.  There is a huge difference  The police are the good guys.  Terrorists are evil.  You expect them to do evil.  We expect police to be well trained, strongly motivated - and they usually are.  Some though, should never have been entrusted with their badge.  Some few aren't intelligent enough or motivated enough.  Even fewer are racist, xenophobic, or sexist.  Those bad cops are a curse on their pledge to 'protect & serve'.  They're an embarrassment to all to dedicated, well-trained, hard-working members of their brotherhood.  They shouldn't be protected by poorly conceived notions that every cop deserves our respect & defense.  Some few don't.

Now, what has this got to do with gun control?

• Downvote 1

I asked the question what people meant by better training, but the only response was negative votes. When it comes to the people who shouldn't be cops, it's not a matter of training, they're just assholes. 

As for what this has to do with the gun control topic, ask the people who brought it up. 

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

I asked the question what people meant by better training, but the only response was negative votes. When it comes to the people who shouldn't be cops, it's not a matter of training, they're just assholes. 

As for what this has to do with the gun control topic, ask the people who brought it up. 

We should make sure we're choosing the best for one of the most important jobs in society and, once selected, we have to make sure they receive the best training.

Like what?  Specifically what training?  In Texas alone, we are mandated a certain number hours and classes every two year cycle. We have active shooter training, mental health training, training on how to investigate certain crimes like child abuse, how to interact with deaf and Hard of hearing, hostage negotiation training, drug interdiction training, and the list goes on. The fact is that very few on this board know exactly just how much training law enforcement goes through, continously. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Rudy said:

Like what?  Specifically what training?  In Texas alone, we are mandated a certain number hours and classes every two year cycle. We have active shooter training, mental health training, training on how to investigate certain crimes like child abuse, how to interact with deaf and Hard of hearing, hostage negotiation training, drug interdiction training, and the list goes on. The fact is that very few on this board know exactly just how much training law enforcement goes through, continously. 

I gave you a +1.  I'm glad you're happy with the training Texas police receive & it does sound good. One thing I would like to see improved is driver training.  I can't tell you how many times I've been passed on the interstate by cops doing 65 in a 60 or changing lanes without signaling.  If you're going to enforce the law, respect the law.   But, compared to most of the things you mention, that's trivial & said tongue-in-cheek.

Often we don't run lights and sirens to calls. I know it can be annoying to see police speeding, but there's a greater than zero chance we're trying to get somewhere.  Sometimes we accidentally run a little over the speed limit, just like everyone else. And sometimes we forget our turn signal. It happens when you drive nonstop for 8-12 hours. And just because you get pulled over doesn't mean you get a ticket. 

6 hours ago, Rudy said:

Often we don't run lights and sirens to calls. I know it can be annoying to see police speeding, but there's a greater than zero chance we're trying to get somewhere.  Sometimes we accidentally run a little over the speed limit, just like everyone else. And sometimes we forget our turn signal. It happens when you drive nonstop for 8-12 hours. And just because you get pulled over doesn't mean you get a ticket. 

I understand.  It just seems that the people entrusted to enforce the law should follow the law.