New Buc-ee’s opens in Denton along Interstate-35

Skipper

I will wait to see how the traffic at 288 turns out because I don't see them widening Lillian Miller.  Part of the problem with 288 it has two many traffic lights close together.  Traffic engineers study show traffic lights within a half a mile of each other cause major traffic  issues. Learn this a hearing for a road project in a different city.  So counting from Colorado blvd to Lillian Miller there are three within that area.  I think if they closed off the traffic from Golden Triangle mall it would help traffic greatly.  Just have the entrance to the mall come from the access road by i-35 and Colorado blvd but it would upset the Starbuck fans.

The Bucees on I-35W...near Texas Motor Speedway ... opened just before the Indycar races a few years ago and were amazed at the number of customers that showed up.  They were told to get ready beccause the NASCAR group will be a lot bigger.....and thirstier.  I think they set a new world record for the sale of beer and ice during NASCAR week.

Edited by Huff

Alabama has a Buc-ees!

If you’re traveling east on I-10, exit 49 (Beach Express) is the home of AL’s first store. I got hooked on Buc-ees when our daughter lived in College Station and we would drive to see her. The new store is scheduled to open in January, I think. They have already made an impact on Baldwin County by paying much higher hourly wages than we are accustomed to in these parts.

• Downvote 1

On 10/31/2018 at 12:35 PM, southsideguy said:

I will wait to see how the traffic at 288 turns out because I don't see them widening Lillian Miller.  Part of the problem with 288 it has two many traffic lights close together.  Traffic engineers study show traffic lights within a half a mile of each other cause major traffic  issues. Learn this a hearing for a road project in a different city.  So counting from Colorado blvd to Lillian Miller there are three within that area.  I think if they closed off the traffic from Golden Triangle mall it would help traffic greatly.  Just have the entrance to the mall come from the access road by i-35 and Colorado blvd but it would upset the Starbuck fans.

The smartest thing Denton has ever done was getting rid of that damn cheesy on-ramp to 35e south off 77. Whoever originally came up with that on-ramp deserves to be slapped. 

Edited by Got5onIt

Visited the Denton Buc-ees for the first time Friday around noon.  Absolutely zero traffic issues getting in or out, and plenty of pumps available selling regular for $1.79 gallon I believe.  Great fun inside looking at all the "stuff" and all the snacks, food, etc.  And, yes, ladies, mega numbers of bathroom stalls available and super clean (according to my wife).

I think Buc-ees will be a great addition to Denton/Corinth and will be good neighbors top those nearby.  I see this "Buc-ees is going to ruin us" stuff pretty much like the Denia folks complaining about Apogee and how it was going to ruin their neighborhood.  Cooler heads knew that was not the case, but it took Apogee being open a year or so for all the "whoa is me" stuff to calm down.  Notice their are no barricades keeping folks from driving through the neighborhood before or after games nor are their hoards of people with their cars blocking residents from getting in or out on game days.  Much ado about nothing, but nothing was going to convince those Denia folks until they experienced it in "real time".  Pretty much like the furor over Buc-ees in my opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I have nothing against buckees, I have an issue with tax breaks for a private company. If the business was there they would not need a tax break.  It like the private developer who wants to put in apartments in Denton and the city council wants them to set aside some units for section 8 housing.  The developer wants a tax break, the developer gets paid by the government for the section 8 housing.  What risk does the developer have?  Oh yeah, the section 8 housing units in this complex will rent above the average apartment in Denton.   The developer comes out ahead.  

If the Denton city council wants apts set aside for section 8 housing why not pass a law that any apartments that are built in Denton have to set aside some units for section 8 housing and the taxpayers are off the hook.  If they stop building apts oh well, we have no shortage of them and maybe people will go back and redo the older run down units around town.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:05 PM, southsideguy said:

I have nothing against buckees, I have an issue with tax breaks for a private company. If the business was there they would not need a tax break.

Without the tax breaks, the City of Denton likely has to fork over all the funds for the overpass/intersection. Who knows how long it would have taken to get those funds to make those road improvements.

/shrugs

• Upvote 1