New Buc-ee’s opens in Denton along Interstate-35

Skipper

We love Bucees! Don't have one in Corpus, but we stop at Buccees every time we travel to Houston. We saw the Bucees in Denton when we traveled for the Southern Miss game; that Denton location is massive!! Holy schnikees!! Can't wait to visit it when we are back up for a another football game next season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

17 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

yeah, they did that out of the kindness of their heart.  Do not listen to what I have to say about this I am jealous I can't get out paying my ridiculous high property taxes in Denton.

Why is this in the football section?

You found somewhere in Texas with low property taxes? 😢

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

You found somewhere in Texas with low property taxes? 😢

Property taxes are what they are.  You could live in CA where every tax has a regulation and every regulation has another tax or regulation.  Plus a state sales tax.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, California is out of control.  The research I have done you pay about the same taxes no matter where you live.  The problem with Property taxes is not something you have much control over.  I can buy less and my sales tax goes down, I can retire and I pay less income tax but the property tax no controlling it.  Appraisal's goes up they lower the tax rate you still pay more. Property prices go down they raise the tax rate. 

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Property taxes are what they are.  You could live in CA where every tax has a regulation and every regulation has another tax or regulation.  Plus a state sales tax.

I already pay more for my property tax here than my property tax + state income tax in Louisiana and in Utah.  I don't exactly want to pay state income tax, but the whole Texas misinformation about income tax being so much worse is a bit misleading.

Rising home values here are going to continue to crush home owners.  Meanwhile local governments boast they aren't raising tax rates while they watch the valuation increases max out yearly for the past 3-5 years.

I can't imagine owing 5 to 10k a year during retirement on a house I already paid the mortgage off on.  That's reason I see many of my neighbors selling for in older 70's and 80's neighborhoods in Central Plano. It's cheaper to take the cash from sale, pay the taxes on the proceeds, and go rent.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, southsideguy said:

New Mexico is the same as Utah and LA.  It is to bad you pay your house off and you still have to pay $800 in property taxes.  The ability to raise the appraisal rate to 10% each year is ridiculous the cap should be that of inflation with nothing going up more than 3%.  

$800????  I wish! 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

yeah, they did that out of the kindness of their heart.  Do not listen to what I have to say about this I am jealous I can't get out paying my ridiculous high property taxes in Denton.

Just a little clarification ... Bucees will still be paying all of their property taxes owed. The tax abatement was for sales taxes. Read about it here.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

Why is this in the football section?

-1 not from me.
I don't question the motive.   But it was not in scope for the highway expansion project & we all know the city of Denton would never be able to do something like that (has to be the worst city I've ever seen regarding infrastructure projects).   One of your main arteries (if not THE MAIN artery), University, was under construction for over a decade.  OVER A DECADE!   
The fact that Bucees can finance it, or simply pay for it outright & have it done quickly will alleviate a ton of congestion around 288/Lillian Miller immediately.   And that is a gigantic relief to all drivers in Denton.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan

1 minute ago, southsideguy said:

But the sales taxes do affect your property taxes, there is a line how much your taxes are reduced by sales tax.  They are a private company that makes a profit so why give them a tax break.  Corinth told them to take a hike. 

Corinth wanted the Bucees BADLY.
The people that lived in the area it was going to go in forced a referendum because they did not want the traffic & noise polution (who can blame them?).    They won.   So Bucees went 3 miles down the road.

Just now, southsideguy said:

But the sales taxes do affect your property taxes, there is a line how much your taxes are reduced by sales tax.

But couldn't you also say that without Bucees, the City wouldn't be getting anything? There's the other side of the coin you have to consider.

Down here in Carrollton, they've never raised the City's property taxes when sales tax revenues weren't what City leaders were hoping. Denton might be a different beast altogether.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

-1 not from me.
I don't question the motive.   But it was not in scope for the highway expansion project & we all know the city of Denton would never be able to do something like that (has to be the worst city I've ever seen regarding infrastructure projects).   One of your main arteries (if not THE MAIN artery), University, was under construction for over a decade.  OVER A DECADE!   
The fact that Bucees can finance it, or simply pay for it outright & have it done quickly will alleviate a ton of congestion around 288/Lillian Miller immediately.   And that is a gigantic relief to all drivers in Denton.

I often wonder if the city of Denton has a planning department.  I think it got replaced by the office of reaction.   Denton needs to learn to say no to projects until they get the traffic under control.  You sit in traffic no matter where you are going.  Some of the wise cities build roads before development shows up. I have gone to a couple of hearings on projects with the county board.  One new project was on the board after two others were already approved.  The subject of traffic and if the two-lane road could handle more traffic.  The county head guy asked the city person about when road improvements would be made, response was five years.  Through their discussion it was plan to see this "how denton does it".   This why we have traffic problems.  Denton wants to think it is a small town but it is turning into a city with little town roads.

• Upvote 1