Apogee After Dark

ipd054

4 hours ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

No one in my group is excited about this game day or time. Unless you are retired or a kid this is not good day or time for either.

If the stars had aligned and this was some kind of game for the conference lead, then it would have been more anticipated but as it is now, the day and time are annoying.

I mean we've know about this game since early Summer. Its if you get invited to a family function you feel obligated to go to, you make plans in advance and coordinate with work or other potential obstacles. I asked my boss if I could come in a tad bit later on Friday and he understood when I asked him 2 months ago. (Not all of us have this luxury, but I know there is a good chunk that do.)

If the game started at 6:30, we would see excuses like traffic or if work runs late.would prevent getting to the game. .Just like on excuses on holiday weekends.. It's to close to Thanksgiving, the OU/UT game, The world series, etc, etc. Let's be that exception and support our team through crappy game times..  

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

Let's be that exception and support our crappy team....oh wait a minute, we support WINNING teams. Unless the game is at 8:30 on a Thursday night. 

Great points GT13. I ask my family/relatives not to get married, have band competitions  or die during football season (I really just need you to not do anything 6 days a year....kick the ass out of the other 359 days). Unfortunately, the American Academy of Ophthalmology and its 30,000 registrants weren't willing to move the convention that interfered with my joy of Homecoming. Seems the AAO books their events years in advance. Just realized how weird it is that I allow work to interfere, but not family weddings and funerals.

GMG

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

This is not a family/kid friendly game. However, nothing says you have to take your family/kids to this game.  Make it a solo night or ask friends to go.  There are only six home games a year, so if I can make it to a game, I go.  You don't have to fill all your seats, just make sure your's is filled.  This is essentially the same as going to one of the pro teams games during the week.  

Edited by Green Crazy
  • Lovely Take 1

9 hours ago, southsideguy said:

back in the day I would hit the mean green inn (consume alcohol and hit on the women) on Thursday nights and go to my classes on Friday with no problem.  My classes always started at 8 or 9.  When young in college you can do it.

9 hours ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

I'll be driving up from Houston the day of, going to the game at 8:30, leaving at likely 11:30, driving back to Houston, sleeping for a few hours and going to work around 8AM. This is a game I wont miss. This is coming form a guy who sat at the Rice game for all of 10 minutes due to the sun. 

. You can make the game, you can lose out on sleep to watch a big time game in Denton. It's not going to hurt you. I promise. You can drive to work and function for a day with little to no sleep. 

If sleep & work is your excuse, then I question your loyalty to this football program. 

#newdenton 

Just a friendly reminder that big time program TAMU had 90k+ on their Thursday night game this year. 

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT SAY HAVING CLASS FRIDAY MORNING IS AN EXCUSE. IF A COLLEGE STUDENT TELLS YOU THEY GO TO BED BY 11:30 ON A THURSDAY NIGHT THEY ARE LYING TO YOU. 

I was going to reply with almost exactly the same thing.  In the early 80s, most students had MWF classes and it seemed like half of the student body went to Dallas on Thursday nights, many not even heading out until 10:00. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

13 hours ago, southsideguy said:

back in the day I would hit the mean green inn (consume alcohol and hit on the women) on Thursday nights and go to my classes on Friday with no problem.  My classes always started at 8 or 9.  When young in college you can do it.

We’re a tier-one research university now my friend. Those days are long gone 🧐😉

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Thursday's are the best night to go out. No college student goes to bed before 11:30. Even if you're just doing homework you're going to be up later than that. 

True, but then again I’m not a regular college student. I’ll be there because who else is going to do push-ups in the end zone. 

-GMG

• Upvote 1

I think the students will be fine with it.  Not much different than a Thursday night basketball game.  

For us working stiffs, it is a challenge.  I'm gonna make it, but were it any earlier in the year, it would probably be a no-go. 

But then I think I'm an anomaly.  I hear of people going out to eat on weeknights or I see tens of thousands of fans at Rangers games on weeknights.  I seem to have a vague memory of being an adult and engaging in such pursuits, but the idea is strange and foreign to me now.  Must...make...profit...for...overlords...at...all...waking...moments.

I write that with some snark, but it is what I've become.  If I'm awake, I better be creating value for somebody, and doing it dragging ass after a night game gets me chewed out. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5053111

20 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I mean we've know about this game since early Summer. Its if you get invited to a family function you feel obligated to go to, you make plans in advance and coordinate with work or other potential obstacles. I asked my boss if I could come in a tad bit later on Friday and he understood when I asked him 2 months ago. (Not all of us have this luxury, but I know there is a good chunk that do.)

If the game started at 6:30, we would see excuses like traffic or if work runs late.would prevent getting to the game. .Just like on excuses on holiday weekends.. It's to close to Thanksgiving, the OU/UT game, The world series, etc, etc. Let's be that exception and support our team through crappy game times..  

Never said my group won't be there. We are all making arrangements to be there. The point is (and what I wrote was) it's annoying that this game is on a Thursday and more so that is starts late. Pretty sure by you and most others getting defensive about even pointing this out, that you agree. We'll be there and it will be fun like always while we are there.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

GMG.com complains that we get no TV coverage. But now that we get on a national network we're going to gripe and moan its too late and they might be tired at work the next day. 

I guess the CBS Sports Network technically qualifies as a national network...just one that no one watches or knows about. 

In the conference we are in, be glad we are getting Thursday night games, it means we are competitive, and they want to get viewers on TV.  I would bet that if things continue we will be in a Thursday night game every year, some may not be at home, but we have nothing to due with that. It not like we could say no the game has to be played on Saturday.  There are games on everynight of the week. 

56 minutes ago, MeanGreenHoops said:

Never said my group won't be there. We are all making arrangements to be there. The point is (and what I wrote was) it's annoying that this game is on a Thursday and more so that is starts late. Pretty sure by you and most others getting defensive about even pointing this out, that you agree. We'll be there and it will be fun like always while we are there.

And you expressing to us about this annoyance  is going to help alleviate future week night games? 

Good to hear your group is making it.