2018 CUSA Women's Soccer Tourney Info/Results

NorthTexan95

Missed the game.  Glad we got the win.  I am pretty sure it was a typical hedlund style game, however. 

I hope we actually get a tournament win this time.  We are play low-percentage ball to do it (which is why we never won one before)... but I am saying we still have a chance!

When will we find out who we play?

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Travis said:

Missed the game.  Glad we got the win.  I am pretty sure it was a typical hedlund style game, however. 

I hope we actually get a tournament win this time.  We are play low-percentage ball to do it (which is why we never won one before)... but I am saying we still have a chance!

When will we find out who we play?

Selections are announced tomorrow afternoon around 4ish.  

2018 Air Force Reserve C-USA Women’s Soccer Championship All-Tournament Team
Lauryn Bruffett, North Texas – Offensive MVP
Carissa Sanders, North Texas – Defensive MVP
Kelsey Brann, North Texas
Madeline Guderian, North Texas
Jenny Caracheo, Southern Miss
Kendell Mindnich, Southern Miss
Miah Zuazua, Southern Miss
Jessica Monteiro, Florida Atlantic
Emma Grissom, Florida Atlantic
Jaelyn Peeples, Louisiana Tech
Elizabeth Doll, Louisiana Tech

17 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

We have an outside chance at hosting. The loss to ODU and tie against La Tech made it more of a long shot. It would be a travesty with an RPI around 30 to put us against a top 15 team 

Based on our RPI (28 going into the CUSA tourney) we should be seeded 7th, but I'm guessing their is some major homerism for P5 programs when it comes to seeding. Still, I can't see how we'd seeded any lower than 10th. 

3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Based on our RPI (28 going into the CUSA tourney) we should be seeded 7th, but I'm guessing their is some major homerism for P5 programs when it comes to seeding. Still, I can't see how we'd seeded any lower than 10th. 

Problem is, that they don't seed everyone, they only seed the 16 hosts. After that it is all very "regional" with no official distinction between a 5 and an 16 seed in a region. Plenty of ways to hose folks that way.

Its part of why forgetting to pay the fees for the coaches poll is such a disaster. Had NT been ranked or at least very high in others receiving votes before the choice of the comittee, that would have really raked up the pressure not to put them with someone else who is ranked in the top 25. Alas it took NT more than a week to sort this out (they only managed sometime toward the end of last week).

Edited by outoftown

59 minutes ago, outoftown said:

Problem is, that they don't seed everyone, they only seed the 16 hosts. After that it is all very "regional" with no official distinction between a 5 and an 16 seed in a region. Plenty of ways to hose folks that way.

Its part of why forgetting to pay the fees for the coaches poll is such a disaster. Had NT been ranked or at least very high in others receiving votes before the choice of the comittee, that would have really raked up the pressure not to put them with someone else who is ranked in the top 25. Alas it took NT more than a week to sort this out (they only managed sometime toward the end of last week).

Damn, didn't know it was THAT regional. Figured they seeded the teams 1-16 and tried to make the brackets as regional as possible, like the NCAA Basketball Tournament. 

Thanks for the info

56 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Damn, didn't know it was THAT regional. Figured they seeded the teams 1-16 and tried to make the brackets as regional as possible, like the NCAA Basketball Tournament. 

Thanks for the info

You are not fully wrong in your assumption, they probably do the 1-16 seeding at least partially (I NT would have played Clemson or Bama in the second round, had they won last year. But the process is just so nontransparent that they can always use the excuse of "Regional" for many decisions.

Edited by outoftown

1 hour ago, meangreen24 said:

Play #3 (13th overall) Texas A&M.

TCU and BYU are on the lower line.

39 minutes ago, meanJewGreen said:

we got screwed. again 

No doubt.   
Why on Earth would we deserve the draw VS A&M, and BYU leapfrog us (by quite a bit) to get TCU.     
We can beat TCU (and it doesn't get much more "regional" than that).   The Aggie ladies stumbled down the stretch, so we just have to hope there is doubt creeping into that lockerroom, and we come out & punch them in the mouth early.

3 Common opponents this year:
We lost 1-0 to OU at home.   They beat OU 3-0 at home.
We lost 1-0 to 3-seed Santa Clara on the road.  They beat Santa Clara 4-0 at home.
We tied Alabama 1-1 at home.  They lost to Alabama 1-0 on the road.

Sad to have been right. Not only not getting to host, but also an fully unfair first round draw. If they had to put seeds on thing, there is no way they could giving NT the equivalent of a 14th seed. Not getting how it is TCU gets to host BYU rather than NT.

Still also think however, that the administration really shot the team in the foot by messing up the ranking thing such that they got no votes two weeks straight right when the committee makes that decision. Made it sooo much easier for the committee to screw NT again. That is on Wren not taking care of business.

Now in order to avoid this fate in the future, NT needs to start winning one or two of those (then the powers that be will immediately start to not want to play NT in the first round.

Edited by outoftown