Possible Bowl Games Mega Thread

ADLER

• Cerebus locked and unlocked this topic
57 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900041893/bowl-projections-byu-could-land-in-first-responders-bowl-dec-26-vs-north-texas.html

I've seen several bowl projections showing UNT vs. BYU at the First Responders Bowl (old HOD).  Here is their local view of that match-up...

Going to be New Mexico Bowl

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 2

On 11/8/2018 at 10:25 AM, GreenTexan13 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/bowl-projections-sec-may-not-get-two-cfp-get-three-big-bowl-games-203452292.html

Back to the original subject of the thread, anybody down for a TCU vs UNT bowl in Dallas? I'd say 50k plus in attendance if this were to happen. 

First Responder Bowl (Dec. 26)
North Texas vs. TCU

Noone ever said anything about my previous post. 

Everything I am finding online shows that Big 10 is the only tie in this year with First Responders Bowl. Am I missing something?

If I am, I would rather have Texas Tech! I think they would bring just as many if not more fans than TCU. Also, they can scout their new HC.........

Which bowl game is going to be a guessing game, much less who the opponent might be. There are still far too many variables - it's almost like picking lottery numbers! 

Some things to consider. First, CUSA pools all of the bowl payouts and contributes to schools travel expenses. So there's no advantage in picking a bowl with a higher payout and less disadvantage to travel. I don't think CUSA pays ALL of a schools travel expenses, just the team itself. 

Secondly, while the conference winner certainly gets first pick, I'm certain CUSA, the bowls and ESPN will be making suggestions. And after the conference winner, everyone else gets to go where CUSA, the bowls and ESPN think will generate the best overall fit. The schools have input into the choices. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jessica M Hall said:

Hopefully UAB will stay closer to home and the First Responders Bowl can be “granted” to us. Which Bowl would LA Tech shoot for - New Orleans? I would imagine FR Bowl would be their next choice if they didn’t go to NO for whatever reason. 

La Tech has played in HOD bowl back in 2014 after being CUSA runner’s up. I wouldn’t rule them out. 

• Lovely Take 1

BYU will probably end season at 6&6, UNT at 8&4. I would rather play SDSU in Albuquerque. UAB will probably play in Birmingham Bowl, La. Tech in New Orleans. That leaves FIU,Marshall,MTSU, and probably FAU bowl eligible , who would play in the BOCA BOWL. Loosing to ODU lowered our bowl appeal.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Right now I'm just hoping we can finally beat nUTSAck and avoid finishing the year with a 4 game losing streak. 

I'm afraid that if we get a good bowl game vs a solid team, we'll get hammered.  Apparently teams have gotten us figured out and a bowl opponent with 3+ weeks to prepare for us is a bad scenario.

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

La Tech has played in HOD bowl back in 2014 after being CUSA runner’s up. I wouldn’t rule them out. 

North Texas has outdrawn LaTech by 9,000 and 8,000 in their two games.  Almost single handed since UNLV brought no one.   ESPN owns the bowl, ESPN wants a crowd for better tv.  If it came down to us and LaTech and we wanted that bowl I think we would get the invite.  

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

North Texas has outdrawn LaTech by 9,000 and 8,000 in their two games.  Almost single handed since UNLV brought no one.   ESPN owns the bowl, ESPN wants a crowd for better tv.  If it came down to us and LaTech and we wanted that bowl I think we would get the invite.  

How do we know that ESPN wants a better crowd is the main factor for us getting an invite? West Virginia played Utah last year and both teams only brought in 20,507 in a 92,000 seat stadium. Heck the New Orleans Bowl last year only had 24,000 and it was one of the lowest as far as attendance compare to previous years.

Just now, Big Z said:

How do we know that ESPN wants a better crowd is the main factor for us getting an invite? West Virginia played Utah last year and both teams only brought in 20,507 in a 92,000 seat stadium. Heck the New Orleans Bowl last year only had 24,000 and it was one of the lowest as far as attendance compare to previous years.

P5 teams bring in their own crowd.  For the G5 teams one of the best thing to keep eyeballs on the game is atmosphere.  A good, close game is best, a big crowd helps a lot though.  

53 minutes ago, Big Z said:

But then again, we went to New Orleans and HOD was on the table is what I’m trying to figure out. Wren said on BTG last season that the team wanted to go somewhere they haven’t been before. 

Yeah, I remember hearing the team chose NO.  Which I don't blame them from playing in HOD the year before. What sucks was S. Miss taking the Independence and playing Florida State.. That was complete crap.

If ESPN wants the biggest crowd for SERVPRO, they need to take North Texas vs. a Big Ten/P5. Unfortunately we always get shafted with our opponents. UNLV was a decent team, but that was a let down of a traveling fanbase. And honestly, we were all hoping our '13 team could have been tested.. We could have easily sold over 65,000 tickets if the opponent was a P5. 

4 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Yeah, I remember hearing the team chose NO.  Which I don't blame them from playing in HOD the year before. What sucks was S. Miss taking the Independence and playing Florida State.. That was complete crap.

If ESPN wants the biggest crowd for SERVPRO, they need to take North Texas vs. a Big Ten/P5. Unfortunately we always get shafted with our opponents. UNLV was a decent team, but that was a let down of a traveling fanbase. And honestly, we were all hoping our '13 team could have been tested.. We could have easily sold over 65,000 tickets if the opponent was a P5. 

HOD was not on the table for us last year.  They filled that bowl with the contracted teams (Big12 & Pac12).

NT had 2 bowl game invites at the time they chose.  It was painfully obvious the Independence Bowl was going to be an option, but the invite was not extended because, politics.    Poor conference leadership would not assist NT in getting the shot at FSU in the Indy Bowl, so they took the best of what was offered at the time, which was the New Orleans Bowl.

13 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

Ya I was at the HOD bowl when we played UNLV, but it was sad to see only 500 fans for UNLV on one side and 39000 UNT fans on one side in a 92000 seat Cotton Bowl stadium. I just don’t believe the bowl games are based off attendance and that the teams do have a say so. Heck, fans got called out this season for the Southern Mississippi game and not showing up....so why would Wren and the team want the Servepro bowl on what the fans want?