Possible Bowl Games Mega Thread

ADLER

23 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

TCU has to get bowl eligible, I'd say they beat OKie state and Baylor to go 6-6. But this would hands down, be the best bowl game UNT has ever played in. Due to the fact that this is a winnable game and local DFW teams. Plus we would get our p5 opponent. 

No to TCU. Probably lose to OSU and Baylor. Saw them play KSU last week. Not impressed.

26 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

They ask themselves that often.  Right now they think a larger % of their fans would be upset about not playing for the Iron Skillet every year.  However that number is falling year over year. 

They have no rivalry with us. 

Thanks for the insight. I think Texas goes to the Alamo bowl if given the chance, figured it's possible a barely boowl eligible TCU team would take a easy travel bowl game in Dallas. 

20 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

This is why I think we need to ignore the fact that they are terrible this year. Even their fans on their board are posting that they hope they just beat UNT (and they use the word UNT in the derogatory way) as they lose out this season. 

UNT has been playing down to their opponents, UTEP and Rice show that. 

I'd like to see UNT win in San Antonio

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/bowl-projections-sec-may-not-get-two-cfp-get-three-big-bowl-games-203452292.html

Back to the original subject of the thread, anybody down for a TCU vs UNT bowl in Dallas? I'd say 50k plus in attendance if this were to happen. 

First Responder Bowl (Dec. 26)
North Texas vs. TCU

Hell yeah, I’m down. Don’t think TCU would be too enthused but at this point they’ll be lucky to go bowling. 

2 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/bowl-projections-sec-may-not-get-two-cfp-get-three-big-bowl-games-203452292.html

Back to the original subject of the thread, anybody down for a TCU vs UNT bowl in Dallas? I'd say 50k plus in attendance if this were to happen. 

First Responder Bowl (Dec. 26)
North Texas vs. TCU

I'd say MUCH MUCH more.    Like 70K.

52 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Hell yeah, I’m down. Don’t think TCU would be too enthused but at this point they’ll be lucky to go bowling. 

Exactly why I think this could be a possibility. At best they go 6-6.. And this would actually be a reward for such a downer of a season. TCU fans would surely go because it is a homer, UNT fans attend the Dallas bowl well and will be even more drawn to our opponent.

38 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'd say MUCH MUCH more.    Like 70K.

Touche' This would be the all time best seller/attendance of this bowl game. One can only hope this would be a reality.. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Big Z said:

Question

Do the players and coaches have a say or even the pick bowl games that are available to them? If so, in my opinion I don’t think the players would want to play in Dallas, I mean as a player wouldn’t want to go to Hawaii or the Bahamas? 

My understanding is that only the Conference Champion in CUSA gets a say in which bowl game they go to.  

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

8 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

The Dallas Hotel people would not be happy with UNT vs TCU match up. Wasnt that the issue before they did not fill enough beds.

Right, but apparently since ESPN wholly-owns the bowl game now, they want butts-in-seats and ratings (re:money).   They don't care about Dallas' hotel business.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Right, but apparently since ESPN wholly-owns the bowl game now, they want butts-in-seats and ratings (re:money).   They don't care about Dallas' hotel business.

Yep. The Dallas bowl game was never built on support from hotels and tourism like other ones (Hawai’i, New Orleans, Bahamas, Boca Raton) are.

Edit: I stand corrected.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

Yep. The Dallas bowl game was never built on support from hotels and tourism like other ones (Hawai’i, New Orleans, Bahamas, Boca Raton) are.

I think once upon a time, it was.   The City of Dallas recently decided to pull funding though because they were not seeing the return on investment.   Hence, instead of it being the "Heart of Dallas Bowl", it's now the "ServePro First Responders Bowl".

6 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

My understanding is that only the Conference Champion in CUSA gets a say in which bowl game they go to.  

I swear that Wren Baker on last seasons BTG said that the coaches and players choose which bowl game they want to go to based on availability. 

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I think once upon a time, it was.   The City of Dallas recently decided to pull funding though because they were not seeing the return on investment.   Hence, instead of it being the "Heart of Dallas Bowl", it's now the "ServePro First Responders Bowl".

Yeah, we've gone over this a couple times.  Maybe we should make a FAQ for certain things that seem to pop up all the time?

"Heart of Dallas" is a non profit formed by the City of Dallas, specifically the VisitDallas organization.  It was funded to bring attention, and tourists, to Dallas.   The Heart of Dallas bowl was funded for that reason.  Also the Heart of Dallas Classic was funded as a neutral site game during the State Fair to be played every year.  It only played once, had Army and LaTech play, and then was never organized again.

The Bowl was a deal between the city (they put in about $400k/yr) and ESPN Events (they put in about $150k a year and agreed to broadcast).  The city felt it was a pretty good deal the first few years when the B12/B10 were able to regularly fill it.  

However, the less that happened, the less the city liked the deal.  The new deal has the city give about $150k a year, and even getting that was a fight.   The city lost naming rights, ESPN partnered with Fox Sports.  Fox Sports found Servepro to be the founder.   ESPN now owns the bowl and uses it as they use about 20 of the bowl games, time slot fillers. 

The Heart of Dallas org stayed around for a while, then became a " new initiative in the form of a young professionals group composed of individuals in the sports and entertainment industries ages 25-40", and now has morphed into the Dallas Influencers in Sports and Entertainment.  

2 minutes ago, Big Z said:

I swear that Wren Baker on last seasons BTG said that the coaches and players choose which bowl game they want to go to based on availability. 

The AD's all work together with the conference president and bowl committees to figure out what makes the most sense and who should go were.  Of course the AD is gonna talk to the coaches and team about what they prefer, but that is just it, preference.  

For example if the team/coaches REALLY wanted to go to Bowl X, but the bowl committee didn't want us, we aren't going there.   If two teams want the same bowl, then conference president works with the bowl committees, usually trying to make sure the bowl committees are happy at the end of it.  If two bowls want one team, then it really gets into politics.  

7 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

The AD's all work together with the conference president and bowl committees to figure out what makes the most sense and who should go were.  Of course the AD is gonna talk to the coaches and team about what they prefer, but that is just it, preference.  

For example if the team/coaches REALLY wanted to go to Bowl X, but the bowl committee didn't want us, we aren't going there.   If two teams want the same bowl, then conference president works with the bowl committees, usually trying to make sure the bowl committees are happy at the end of it.  If two bowls want one team, then it really gets into politics.  

So long as we never pull a LaTech and turn down a bowl only to find ourselves left in the dark. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

La. Tech will never play ULM.They have turned down the bowl in Shreveport once before and will do it again if the Warhawks are their opponents. Also, FAU will not go to Albuquerque. Its Boca if they are bowl eligible.

Why? Either way, their fans arent going to show up

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, southsideguy said:

The Dallas Hotel people would not be happy with UNT vs TCU match up. Wasnt that the issue before they did not fill enough beds.

Mostly no one is going to be staying in a hotel December 25th for the game on the 26th. The stadium would be packed though if the weather isn't garbage. 

8 hours ago, UNTexas said:

Mostly no one is going to be staying in a hotel December 25th for the game on the 26th. The stadium would be packed though if the weather isn't garbage. 

This is why I hate this game... Either have to stay in Dallas for Christmas or I piss off the family wherever we go by saying "okay, Merry Christmas, I'm going to get back on the plane and go back to Dallas" on the night of the 25th.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1