Possible Bowl Games Mega Thread

ADLER

1 hour ago, Moobs said:

Travel for the players.  Let those young men see and experience more of the world.  It's not about us, the alumni fans.  It's about the coaches and players putting in all the hard work that got them this far.  If they want to travel, let them travel.  If they want to stay close, let them stay close.

Although, I would like to show the world that we can sell out (or come close) a bowl game in Frisco while SMU fell short by 6k.

11 minutes ago, Matt from A700 said:

Since Bahamas and Hawaii are out of the picture, what other "destination" is left for us?

The closest thing may be the warmer temperatures in Boca or Tampa, but we've already played at FAU twice in the past year, and you can forget having any fans at those games. Both are weekdays before Christmas while we're all still stuck at work.

New Mexico will prevent graduating students and families from travelling. New Orleans may be considered a destination but the date also becomes a factor.

IF we get the option(s), I don't see us passing up on Dallas, Ft. Worth, or Shreveport. Administration may even urge us to take Frisco Bowl to help promote the university ahead of our campus opening in Frisco?

I certainly understand this "destination" argument, but like is ABQ a good destination for the players? Is New Orleans? Is Shreveport? The only thing you're going to experience in ABQ is good crystal meth. This is still a business trip for them and I'm really not sure they'd encounter much in the way of culture or activities they haven't seen before.

You have to look at bowl games from a 30,000 ft level. Sure you want the kids to have a good time. But we also want to win, and for it to mean something for the entire program and university. Potential attendance, prestige, opponent, location, etc should all factor in. 

If we wanted a destination we should have just accepted Hawaii or Bahamas. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If you love someone, let them go.  If they return, they're yours.  
If they don't return, they were likely lured by a P5.

If someone offered me a couple million a year, y'all would damn sure never hear from me again. So I certainly understand a coaches thought process. *check clears* me: "GO [INSERT TEAM HERE]!!" 😂

Edited by meangreenlax
  • Lovely Take 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This would be friggin FANTASTIC.   
Can't believe we would possibly get rewarded like this just for hanging around, but hey, it happened last year to SoMiss.

I think this is the best option for us.  It's an easy drive, not the day after Christmas, nice "non-local" experience for the players, etc.  I have my fingers crossed.

3 hours ago, vpackrats said:

I think the bowl date has a huge factor in our HOD excursions.  While UNLV was a "meh" draw who didn't bring many fans, the January 1st bowl date was tailor made for anyone coming to Big D to have blow-out NYE events & then head to the bowl game the next day (I.E., make a vacation out of it).  Army was a much better opponent who brought way more fans but the December 26th bowl date is just a damper on attendance as a general rule.  Exhibit A is last year's match up of West Virginia vs. Utah.  It's really hard to convince friends & family to travel to Dallas for Christmas and a bowl game the next day if you're out-of-state.  Again, a January 1st date is waaay better for that.  That's why I think the First Responder Bowl tries to keep it local or with an out-of-state team that would still have a large local presence (BYU).

Good point about New Years Day.  I forgot about that.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

Lots of projections now showing us in the New Mexico Bowl. 🙁

I'm just not that enchanted about this bowl as others. 

It has to be the worst option right?

Its not exactly a destination. (Apologies to those that love New Mexico)  It’s too far for fans to travel and Attendance will be bad. 

29 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Its not exactly a destination. (Apologies to those that love New Mexico)  It’s too far for fans to travel and Attendance will be bad. 

1hr longer drive than New Orleans to play a MWC team over a Sunbelt! Worth it!!

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Where is the New Mexico Bowl played?  Albuquerque?  If so, anyone checked out the prices to fly there?  From Austin it’s anywhere from $700 to $850 bucks, roundtrip.

1 minute ago, DeepGreen said:

Where is the New Mexico Bowl played?  Albuquerque?  If so, anyone checked out the prices to fly there?  From Austin it’s anywhere from $700 to $850 bucks, roundtrip.

It’s WAY cheaper than that out of Dallas. The basketball team plays there on Tuesday following the bowl game. Too bad the games aren’t closer. 

Bowl priorities, unscientific:

• A game we can (and do) win
  • An opponent that achieving the above would have some relevance
  • Best opportunity for next year's @MeanGreenFB to improve between now and game day
  • A date and location that favors a good turnout
  • A fun time for players (see the first bullet)
  • A fun time for fans (see the first bullet)

Generally, those favor Dallas. Who we play makes a difference, though.

GMG

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1