Possible Bowl Games Mega Thread

ADLER

14 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

If so this would make the Frisco Bowl much more attractive. However, the wiki and website for Toyota Stadium still have it at 20,500.

I live in Frisco and have attended soccer game since new construction. Still only about 20,000 seats, too small for UNT.

• Thanks 3

If I'm understanding the bowl ticket request thing correctly, you can pick any of the possible games and you will only get charged for the game that we actually go to.  So, shouldn't we all be putting in for Frisco Bowl tickets, because that's the only one we might have trouble getting a ticket to?  Right?

Edited by kj86

9 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

the reality is that these bowls are all lower tier. so why travel? theres no incentive or upside. in state lower tier bowl > low tier destination bowl

Travel for the players.  Let those young men see and experience more of the world.  It's not about us, the alumni fans.  It's about the coaches and players putting in all the hard work that got them this far.  If they want to travel, let them travel.  If they want to stay close, let them stay close.

Although, I would like to show the world that we can sell out (or come close) a bowl game in Frisco while SMU fell short by 6k.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, Moobs said:

Travel for the players.  Let those young men see and experience more of the world.  It's not about us, the alumni fans.  It's about the coaches and players putting in all the hard work that got them this far.  If they want to travel, let them travel.  If they want to stay close, let them stay close.

Although, I would like to show the world that we can sell out (or come close) a bowl game in Frisco while SMU fell short by 6k.

I agree, we do throw some Mean Greene watching parties.

5 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Shouldn't a bowl game also be a reward for the fans who have invested time, energy, and money into the program? 

The regular fans should only be considered after the team, coaches, nutritionist, equipment staff, compliance coordinators, Athletic Department janitorial staff, etc... have been considered.

The suite-level fans should be considered after the team/coaches... but they're likely wealthy enough to travel if they want to.

• Upvote 2

Since Bahamas and Hawaii are out of the picture, what other "destination" is left for us?

The closest thing may be the warmer temperatures in Boca or Tampa, but we've already played at FAU twice in the past year, and you can forget having any fans at those games. Both are weekdays before Christmas while we're all still stuck at work.

New Mexico will prevent graduating students and families from travelling. New Orleans may be considered a destination but the date also becomes a factor.

IF we get the option(s), I don't see us passing up on Dallas, Ft. Worth, or Shreveport. Administration may even urge us to take Frisco Bowl to help promote the university ahead of our campus opening in Frisco?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Talon90 said:

Just a reminder that this is the best bowl to go to. 2014 crowd was HUGE and LOUD. Any chance we have that many fans again this year? Army game was a good crowd but was smaller.

I think the bowl date has a huge factor in our HOD excursions.  While UNLV was a "meh" draw who didn't bring many fans, the January 1st bowl date was tailor made for anyone coming to Big D to have blow-out NYE events & then head to the bowl game the next day (I.E., make a vacation out of it).  Army was a much better opponent who brought way more fans but the December 26th bowl date is just a damper on attendance as a general rule.  Exhibit A is last year's match up of West Virginia vs. Utah.  It's really hard to convince friends & family to travel to Dallas for Christmas and a bowl game the next day if you're out-of-state.  Again, a January 1st date is waaay better for that.  That's why I think the First Responder Bowl tries to keep it local or with an out-of-state team that would still have a large local presence (BYU).