Possible Bowl Games Mega Thread

ADLER

29 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

UNT v. BYU in Dallas would be ideal given the rest of the scenarios. This would generate the largest ever attendance for this bowl and would make for an interesting match up. 

Will people be boycotting the Mormons?  After the Liberty backlash, this is my concern.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

50 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Interesting.   They finished ahead of us (tiebreaker), right?   So they must WANT to go to Hawaii.   I would think First Responder is in the pocket, unless UAB wants it.

Ranking doesn't matter as far as the bowl selection goes.  They try to get the overall champion into the bowl they want.  

After that they talk with all the AD's and bowl people and try to figure out who makes who the happiest.  

Now they have to get Bahamas and Hawaii settled ASAP.   Bahamas because of passport issues, Hawaii to try and cut costs.  Obviously at least FIU and LaTech said they would be happy with that.

If we do get a B10 team in the Dallas bowl game, then I can see the CUSA winner wanting that game and us ending up in New Mexico.   

45 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Interesting.   They finished ahead of us (tiebreaker), right?   So they must WANT to go to Hawaii.   I would think First Responder is in the pocket, unless UAB wants it.

No, everywhere I have looked (C-USA, ESPN, etc) show where we finished 2nd in Division while LaTech finished 3rd even though LaTech beat us giving them the head-to-head advantage. Perhaps the numerous tiebreaker scenarios are for finding the division champion if there is a tie and then overall record is used is there are any subsequent tiebreakers after a division champ is determined.

Just now, Cerebus said:

Ranking doesn't matter as far as the bowl selection goes.  They try to get the overall champion into the bowl they want.  

After that they talk with all the AD's and bowl people and try to figure out who makes who the happiest.  

Now they have to get Bahamas and Hawaii settled ASAP.   Bahamas because of passport issues, Hawaii to try and cut costs.  Obviously at least FIU and LaTech said they would be happy with that.

If we do get a B10 team in the Dallas bowl game, then I can see the CUSA winner wanting that game and us ending up in New Mexico.   

I can see us in New Mexico unfortunately.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

That bowl game is so far down on the pecking order, I bet the B1G team would not be decided upon until later in the process, while MT & UAB would likely be holding expiring offers from NO Bowl & Boca Raton... sound familiar?

It would take some backbone from the C-USA office to get UAB or MT put there because, as you know, ESPN is going to want a big crowd in this bowl... especially if a B1G team is there.  And if LATech is gone, NT is the only option to fill the Cotton Bowl. 

What burned us last year could actually wind up helping us this year.

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That bowl game is so far down on the pecking order, I bet the B1G team would not be decided upon until later in the process, while MT & UAB would likely be holding expiring offers from NO Bowl & Boca Raton... sound familiar?

It would take some backbone from the C-USA office to get UAB or MT put there because, as you know, ESPN is going to want a big crowd in this bowl... especially if a B1G team is there.  And if LATech is gone, NT is the only option to fill the Cotton Bowl. 

What burned us last year could actually wind up helping us this year.

Didn’t a team from the Big 10 back out the first time and we ended up playing UNLV? 

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, vpackrats said:

Guys -- I think I really need a break from this bowl talk.  I've been following it so much I just had a dream about it last night.  We were all set to play Nevada in the New Mexico Bowl when we pulled a last minute switch and accepted a bid for the Lewisville Bowl.  Lemme tell you, we were not happy playing in a 10,000 seat high school stadium.  Everyone was complaining that "Al Goldfarb Stadium" was just too small.  So, hopefully that doesn't happen.  And hopefully no more weird dreams tonight.  haha

I can't eat chilli before bed either. 

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Didn’t a team from the Big 10 back out the first time and we ended up playing UNLV? 

No, the Sandusky scandal had Penn St ineligible for a bowl that year even though they qualified record wise. Michigan was the team that was speculated to end up in Dallas without that situation, but they got slotted elsewhere and we were stuck with UNLV who brought nobody.

Sad as we’d have likely set a HOD Bowl attendance record with that matchup.

C - USA Bowl eligible teams 

• FIU - Bahamas
  • LaTech - Hawaii
  • Marshall
  • Middle Tenn
  • USM
  • UAB
  • UNT

7 teams eligible and 6 spots with our conference tie-in, secondary agreements will play.

No set order for Conference USA bowls. Champion will choose which bowl it wants to attend.

– Bahamas Bowl - FIU v Toledo (Nassau) - Official
 Cheribundi Tart Cherry Bowl vs. American Athletic (Boca Raton)
 Gildan New Mexico Bowl vs. Mountain West (Albuquerque)
– Hawai’i Bowl Houston v LaTech (Honolulu)  http://www.staradvertiser.com/2018/11/27/sports/uh-likely-to-face-louisiana-tech-in-hawaii-bowl/ - just a rumor not offical yet.
 R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl vs. Sun Belt (New Orleans)
 SERVPRO First Responders Bowl vs. Big Ten  (Dallas) or – Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla vs. American Athletic (Tampa)

Secondary Agreements
 Walk-On’s Independence Bowl (Shreveport)
Conditional if ACC or SEC can’t fill a spot.  (if Bama, Florida, Georgia, and LSU all make New Years 6 the SEC slot will open up) (ACC will fill their spot) AAC and C-USA have  secondary agreements but the AAC will not have enough teams - thanks to an SMU loss.  If the LaTech to Hawaii rumor is true.  The Independence Bowl pays about the same as the First Responders Bowl which is more than all the C-USA bowl tie-ins.  I could see UAB and Middle Tenn taking this game.

DXL Frisco Bowl (Frisco)
Conditional if American Athletic or MAC can’t fill a spot.  MAC and AAC will fill this bowl.

My C-USA predictions

UAB (Champion) - Servpro First Responders Bowl - Big pay-out and good recruiting

LaTech - Hawaii - just a good trip for the team

FIU - Bahamas - Just a good trip for the team

USM  - New Mexico - worst overall record gets the worst bowl

MidTen - Tart Cherry Bowl - 12 hour drive and a good location in the backyard of FAU...

Marshall - New Orleans - Destination trip for the team and fans

UNT in the Independence Bowl v. Miami (THE U) - I may be crazy but this is looking more and more to me like it will be the game we go to...

Only caveat to this is that UAB may want to take on The U and we will switch with them.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

12 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Well, I may have the university for you!

My issue is the fact that tenure can create a professor that is not able to be fired even though they are a poor teacher.  Job security can be a good thing but it can also lead to lazy professors.  What other industry provides that type of job security?

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

10 hours ago, meangreen2016 said:

Woof, nice to see Mean Green fans take exception to the exclusion though (Not really sure I understand his excuse though).

Man and Mean Green fans did pounce. And they were for the most part respectful.

It's awesome

We have to continue to show our numbers when we get blatant disrespect in the local media. That's how a fan base gets credibility. Apathy has been a hallmark of UNT athletics for years.....It looks like that ship is starting to turn a little.

We need people outside UNT to say "whoa! Mean Green fans aren't messing around"

Keep the pressure up!

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

11 hours ago, meangreen2016 said:

Woof, nice to see Mean Green fans take exception to the exclusion though (Not really sure I understand his excuse though).

I like it, it’s definitely a slight towards North Texas. Especially after they wrote that crap article about how great SMU was doing after starting 0-3....yeah whatever DMN 

• Upvote 1