Possible Bowl Games Mega Thread

ADLER

7 minutes ago, wardly said:

I am confused as to exactly what the "DALLAS " bowl is looking for. While ESPN may want butts in the seat, the city wants week end fans to offset their investment and increase hotel and dinning expenditures.

I don't think the city is invested in it anymore. Also, hard to have weekend fans on a Wednesday. The date of the game makes travel from out of town fans difficult and the 12:30 kickoff isn't doing them any favors. Look for this bowl to try and go with teams with local fan bases whenever possible.

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

I don't think the city is invested in it anymore. Also, hard to have weekend fans on a Wednesday. The date of the game makes travel from out of town fans difficult and the 12:30 kickoff isn't doing them any favors. Look for this bowl to try and go with teams with local fan bases whenever possible.

I think you just exposed his agenda ...

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, edcollopy said:

people from out of town schools would have to travel on Christmas day for this bowl....no way anyone does that for this level of bowl game.

I misspoke regarding "weekend", but point was that the city still give some money { I think $100,000 ,down from $300,000 but not sure]to encourage out of town fans.But you guys are right. Not many fans traveling on Christmas for 2nd tier bowl.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

If this happens we have to boycott. No more Army please

Amen

I have a feeling the players and staff might say no after the poor showing for USM game to go somewhere other than the First Responder Bowl. The day after Xmas is such a bad date for a bowl game. 

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

So why is it that these bowls are scheduled on days that won’t bring many fans and with crappy kick off times? Is it because ESPN could care less about these bowl games or because they only care about TV viewership? 

Even for TV viewership it seems weird. 12:30 on a Wednesday is not exactly a programing block that generates high revenue.  A 3:30 pm kick would be better. That way crunchtime for the game should be around 6:00 pm a better program block.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Thanks 1

Guys -- I think I really need a break from this bowl talk.  I've been following it so much I just had a dream about it last night.  We were all set to play Nevada in the New Mexico Bowl when we pulled a last minute switch and accepted a bid for the Lewisville Bowl.  Lemme tell you, we were not happy playing in a 10,000 seat high school stadium.  Everyone was complaining that "Al Goldfarb Stadium" was just too small.  So, hopefully that doesn't happen.  And hopefully no more weird dreams tonight.  haha

• Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Even for TV viewership it seems weird. 12:30 on a Wednesday is not exactly a programing block that generates high revenue.  A 3:30 pm kick would be better. That way crunchtime for the game should be around 6:00 pm a better program block.

The date and time just sucks, I highly doubt people wake up the next day after Xmas saying they want to watch a bowl game at 12:30pm. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1