Possible Bowl Games Mega Thread

ADLER

16 hours ago, wardly said:

There are 5 CUSA teams with better a better conference record than UNT, so we are probably a "middling" team.

Bowl Committees don't care about conference records... at all. Just overall record and conference/division champs. And then all the other metrics.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

3 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

• We won the CUSA West Division last year.  

• We beat Southern Miss.  

•We get an opponent from a conference we’d been trying to get out of from the first day we were in that conference & so Southern Miss gets, uh...FLORIDA STATE?  

They travel, we don't.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

10 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

• We won the CUSA West Division last year.  

• We beat Southern Miss.  

•We get an opponent from a conference we’d been trying to get out of from the first day we were in that conference & so Southern Miss gets, uh...FLORIDA STATE?  

My sources told me the I-Bowl was interested in us, but our leadership seemed more interested in the New Orleans scene.

That is all I'm going to say about last year's bowl. What's done is done. I'd rather focus on where we go this season. Bring on the Dallas "Life Support" Bowl and BYU.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

56 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

My sources told me the I-Bowl was interested in us, but our leadership seemed more interested in the New Orleans scene.

That is all I'm going to say about last year's bowl. What's done is done. I'd rather focus on where we go this season. Bring on the Dallas "Life Support" Bowl and BYU.

The Cotton Bowl is not a great venue IMO, but at least we'd have a large crowd. I think the I-Bowl would be much easier for most to get to vs. the NM Bowl.  Oh well, wherever it's at, I'll be there.  GMG

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

What is your issue?  You "poo poo" every positive comment. 

No issues.I would love to get Shreveport. I just remember last year Florida State didn't want to play us and one reason given was that we didn't travel well, and So. Miss. got the slot. Regarding our 6th place position in CUSA, some posters regard the SBC and mid MWC teams as beneath us in a bowl game, and I don't. If pointing out the fact that we don't travel as well as some CUSA programs , that we are in 6th place in a 14 team conference , and didn't beat a team with a winning record this year is poo poo, well these may be reasons that we don't get invited to a better bowl. Just saying.....

• Confused 2
  • Downvote 1

Where did you get the idea that we don't travel well?  Until last year, we had always travelled well to NOLA, we brought crowds to the HOD Bowl and usually travel pretty well to out of town games.   I would love to see the quote that we weren't invited to Shreveport because our fans don't travel. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Where did you get the idea that we don't travel well?  Until last year, we had always travelled well to NOLA, we brought crowds to the HOD Bowl and usually travel pretty well to out of town games.   I would love to see the quote that we weren't invited to Shreveport because our fans don't travel. 

Look, in my opinion when you count fans on the road during the regular season as about a  hundred or so you don't travel well. The HOD is local, not really a road game. The quote you refer to was made, but as I mentioned FSU didn't want to play us.[ I just saw where another bowl projection that had So. Miss. in Shreveport.] Regarding the N.O. Bowl, I have been to all four games, and  we have had a larger crowd than our opponents other than perhaps Troy. I just don't know if it was large enough to encourage other bowls to consider us. In summary, we had a good season, set a record home attendance and played exciting football , and had a chance to be something special. Before I die ,I just would like for us to have an opportunity to move up in  bowl selections, which means we need to win more and travel better. I am sorry if I came across otherwise.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Exactly. Our New Orleans crowds were better - although last year’s UNT contingent was still respectable - in the early 2000’s because at the time, the SBC only had 1 contracted bowl game, the New Orleans Bowl. It was easy for fans then to make plans well in advance if it looked like NT was going to win the conference.

This past season was the first time where we experienced receiving a destination bowl bid when there were tons of options/scenarios on the table. After the CUSA title game, it was a pretty quick turnaround for people to make plans. I know about 10-12 people in our group happened to be unable to swing that turnaround last season. They didn’t not go on some principle about playing a SBC team or anything like that. They were literally unprepared that season for a quick turn around trip. Those folks wouldn’t have been able to do New Mexico either if that had been the bowl. All those folks have been actively following the potential bowl scenarios more closely this year as to not miss out. Part of growing up as a fan base.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

11 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Exactly.

Well, when you have over 30,000 students one might expect more that a 100 or so to travel.And yes, I guess most G5 schools on an average don't travel as well as most P5 schools regardless of size. That is probably one reason why they are G5 schools.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, wardly said:

Well, when you have over 30,000 students one might expect more that a 100 or so to travel.And yes, I guess most G5 schools on an average don't travel as well as most P5 schools regardless of size. That is probably one reason why they are G5 schools.

We travel just fine to reasonable destinations. Ie. Within the massive, far flung state of Texas.  Actually  we travel significantly better than most of our peers   Our away attendance in recent years at Texas, Rice, Houston, SMU, TCU, Baylor, UTSA are all very good.  We travel to all of those places in the thousands, not hundreds like you're saying.   We've also had reasonable road crowds at La Tech, Tulsa, Tulane ULaLa, Ark St. in recent years.  

• Upvote 2