Possible Bowl Games Mega Thread

ADLER

2 hours ago, meaniegreenie said:

Right now I'm just hoping we can finally beat nUTSAck and avoid finishing the year with a 4 game losing streak. 

I'm afraid that if we get a good bowl game vs a solid team, we'll get hammered.  Apparently teams have gotten us figured out and a bowl opponent with 3+ weeks to prepare for us is a bad scenario.

Figured us out for the 2nd Half

• Lovely Take 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

HOD was not on the table for us last year.  They filled that bowl with the contracted teams (Big12 & Pac12).

NT had 2 bowl game invites at the time they chose.  It was painfully obvious the Independence Bowl was going to be an option, but the invite was not extended because, politics.    Poor conference leadership would not assist NT in getting the shot at FSU in the Indy Bowl, so they took the best of what was offered at the time, which was the New Orleans Bowl.

It is over my head on how the bowl pick process works. New Orleans is not a bad bowl game, but NT deserved to be in the Independence bowl over Southern Miss and that was a real punch in the gut. Politics ruins college football, and that stems from bowl games, conferences, to playoffs.   

7 minutes ago, Big Z said:

Ya I was at the HOD bowl when we played UNLV, but it was sad to see only 500 fans for UNLV on one side and 39000 UNT fans on one side in a 92000 seat Cotton Bowl stadium. I just don’t believe the bowl games are based off attendance and that the teams do have a say so. Heck, fans got called out this season for the Southern Mississippi game and not showing up....so why would Wren and the team want the Servepro bowl on what the fans want? 

I agree, And for some reason we always get ALMOST a good bowl game. Opponent and location never align.. If we got a Dallas bowl and and well traveling P5 or respectful near location G5.. Color me shocked! 

8 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

It is over my head on how the bowl pick process works. New Orleans is not a bad bowl game, but NT deserved to be in the Independence bowl over Southern Miss and that was a real punch in the gut. Politics ruins college football, and that stems from bowl games, conferences, to playoffs.   

I agree, And for some reason we always get ALMOST a good bowl game. Opponent and location never align.. If we got a Dallas bowl and and well traveling P5 or respectful near location G5.. Color me shocked! 

The thing was is that the HOD bowl game vs UNLV seemed like almost a UNT spring game, it was clear that UNLV did not want to be there.

• Downvote 2

14 hours ago, wardly said:

I don't think ESPN is as much concerned about butts in the seat as it is about  tv sets tuned to their game..While a decent crowd is nice, viewers are necessary.

You can look at the MAC tuesday night games to prove your point.   it was on tv but one was in the stands.

17 hours ago, wardly said:

I don't think ESPN is as much concerned about butts in the seat as it is about  tv sets tuned to their game..While a decent crowd is nice, viewers are necessary.

Of course that is what they want.  Don't conflate the bowl games we can get into with the big games that will draw an audience just because they are who they are.

When it gets down to bowl games we are in, anything they can hype is helpful to get more viewers.   Whats easier to hype, a game with 500 people in the stands, or one with 35000? 

6 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

So at 8 - 3, and possibly 9 - 3, which bowl are we going to?

The same one we'd go to at 7-5.   Whichever one wants us most after UAB & MT/FIU choose theirs.  Plenty of bowls will be interested in us because of our offense.

It's either going to be New Mexico or First Responder, unless the team wants to go to Hawaii to play an air-raid battle with the Rainbow Warriors.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The same one we'd go to at 7-5.   Whichever one wants us most after UAB & MT/FIU choose theirs.  

Conference will work really hard to get the conference winner the bowl they want.  After that the bowls/tv have just as much pull as the teams. It's a big horse swapping jubilee.

ESPN will want us in Dallas, they did last year, and they will want us there every single year they can get us there 

10 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Conference will work really hard to get the conference winner the bowl they want.  After that the bowls/tv have just as much pull as the teams. It's a big horse swapping jubilee.

ESPN will want us in Dallas, they did last year, and they will want us there every single year they can get us there 

And that is assuming ESPN doesn’t swap around the slots in their bowls like last year. 

20 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Dallas or Albuquerque...

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 10:46 AM, Cerebus said:

They ask themselves that often.  Right now they think a larger % of their fans would be upset about not playing for the Iron Skillet every year.  However that number is falling year over year. 

They have no rivalry with us. 

You can't have a rivalry if you don't play. Look at recent history ( unlike the pre WWII history that SMU touts) and you will see that we have been very competitive with TCU. They don't won't to play cause they might get beaten and like SMU their fans would be embarrassed like I am that we lost decisively to SBC Troy in last year's NO Bowl'. They could easily schedule us in place of one of their traditional "patsy" openers aia Southern this year. They just don't want a competitive opponnet early.

Honestly, with us not playing for a conference title this year...

Our best senario from here is to finish 9-3, play in the First Responders Bowl in front of a "home" crowd of 30,000+ against a school that could bring their own fans.

Then finish the season 10-3.  Not where we wanted to be, but I think from here it is the next best option.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, MrStrange18 said:

Our best senario from here is to finish 9-3, play in the First Responders Bowl in front of a "home" crowd of 30,000+ against a school that could bring their own fans.

Then finish the season 10-3.  Not where we wanted to be, but I think from here it is the next best option.

That would still be an incredible season...

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, meangreenlax said:

I'm partial to the Armed Forces Bowl, because its on a Saturday. But we might be long shots for that one

It would be the one bowl that North Texas Exes & fans would shine best.  The Cotton Bowl Stadium is just too damn big & swallows a crowd of 40,000.  

We would have traveled  a minimum of 30,000 fans to Shreveport vs Fla. State last year but.......oh well.🤨

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

9 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

Keep winning and keep building the fan base. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Big Z said:

I’m not oppose on the First Responder Bowl, but after doing some researching, I still believe that the players and coaches have a say so. If Bahamas or Hawaii were presented, be hard to turn that down as a player. 

I'm less opposed to the Bahamas Bowl just based on it probably being the weekend before Christmas vs the day after.

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Cerebus said:

IF IF’s WERE IF’s...

CUSA didn’t do much for the 2012 West Division Champion IMHO.  They strangely did for Southern Miss who would play Fla. State. Playing a Sun Belch school in New Orleans literally bit us in the butt.  Fans can get shit faced & throw up on the streets of any USA city.  Wish it had been in Shreveport vs. a more prestigious Florida State. If you are going to lose then lose to a Big Time program, not to a school in a conference that La Tech never ever wanted to be a part of.  Maybe UNT should have been following the LTU model all the time because most years they have beat us in recruiting & they have several wins over P5 schools as proof plus 1 or 2 over the Crimson Tide.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen