Possible Bowl Games Mega Thread

ADLER

December 26th Servpro First Responder Bowl is by far the best bowl for most fans to attend and most exposure against the highest regarded opponent (Big 10).  1st game after Christmas at 12:30pm all alone (no other games going on against it) on ESPN. The last televised college or NFL game before it will be NFL on Monday night, December 24th.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

I love New Orleans, and I love the bowl games there, but the New Orleans Bowl does nothing for our program at this point. 

If you're talking about national exposure, how much does any bowl do for a program if it is not a NY6?

For the crowd that says a loss to a lowly Belt team destroys our perception while a win does nothing, I would say look at this 2018 season.  We got destroyed by Troy last year and literally were a couple games away from being ranked this season.  Maybe, just maybe,  if you take care of your current business, the media quickly doesn't care forgets what happened at a non-NE6 bowl the previous postseason.

I look at most of these and see an opportunity for the 2 fanbases to beat their chests, and a chance for the team to get extra practices and establish forward momentum for the program.  Anything under the umbrella of "national exposure" seems pretty specific to the CFP/NY6.   AFter that, then they look at the T25.

So, basically, if you're not in the CFP/T25, find a place that gives you a chance to win and have fun in the process.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

To me the opponent and location should be second and third down the list. 

We want to play in a game as late in the season as possible.  It is about practice, yes practice for our 2019 team.   Reps matter give me any game after the 21st and I will be happy.  A full month of Reps and coaching will help us immensely in 2019!

After getting an extra month I want the best team in the best location.  I would pass up a better team in New Orleans, Boca Raton, and  Frisco to play a week later.  Heck if possible I would pick the hell hole of El Paso on New Years eve so I get a few extra weeks of practice. (OK maybe that would be taking it too far, but I would go to any other bowls on that day)

At this point the Bowl is a reward for a good year for our seniors and prep for 2019 for everyone else.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, ipd054 said:

We want to play in a game as late in the season as possible.  It is about practice, yes practice for our 2019 team.   Reps matter give me any game after the 21st and I will be happy.  A full month of Reps and coaching will help us immensely in 2019!

After getting an extra month I want the best team in the best location.  I would pass up a better team in New Orleans, Boca Raton, and  Frisco to play a week later.  Heck if possible I would pick the hell hole of El Paso on New Years eve so I get a few extra weeks of practice. (OK maybe that would be taking it too far, but I would go to any other bowls on that day)

At this point the Bowl is a reward for a good year for our seniors and prep for 2019 for everyone else.

An El Paso bowl game would be atrocious as opposed to Dallas or Shreveport. 

I firmly believe location matters, as I think location matters in regular season play. I get what you're saying, but we need to beat up on our opponents in front of a crowd of 40k in our own neck of the woods to get this fanbase to wake up for this program's mission. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ipd054 said:

I believe that the NCAA limits the amount of practices that a team may conduct between their last regular-season game and their bowl game. The only advantage we'd get by having a later bowl game is more rest in between practices.

2 hours ago, ipd054 said:

Its the same amount of practice, no matter when your bowl game is 

The NCAA rules state As of Jan 17:

Postseason:  If more than two weeks elapse between the final regular-season or conference championship game and a bowl or postseason game, then allow up to three practices per week of live contact (including two thud); add three days of noncontact or minimal contact practices per week; and ensure the day preceding and after live contact tackling practices should be noncontact or minimal contact.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/football-practice-guidelines-updated

One of the greatest benefits of earning a trip to a bowl game is the additional practices afforded to a team. And contrary to popular belief, bowl practices aren't capped at 15.

"(It's) a common misconception that's been around for years," NCAA spokesman Christopher Radford said. "There is no specific limit on the number of practices a team may hold while preparing for a bowl game, but standard NCAA rules apply for participation in practice or other athletically related activities. Same as the regular season, these rules limit practice and other athletic activities to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week."

4 hours ago, ipd054 said:

Agree 100%,...and would add it’s also about recruiting.

Rick

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

I'm more talking about the fans. I'm not sure that would be a great date/location combo. The matchup might be okay, who knows.

Southwest flights to EP would be much more affordable than other places during this time of year.  As cool as it would be, I don't think PAC12 & ACC fail to put a team there.

El Paso was just used as an example not an actual option.  It is in my opinion one of the worst places to play.  However,  I feel it would be worth the bad bowl location to get out team reps that will pay off in 2019.  It is like getting a whole extra spring ball of training in for the team.

From what i read on the UTEP board they are not that happy with the pac 10.  Players dont play, teams dont show up for scheduled events and have a bad attitude towards el paso.  They really dont want to s Miami vs USC again in the sunbowl.  But they are tied to the PAC10 and ACC for now.  TheSun Bowl is the third oldest bowl game in the country.

When I was a young person many years ago and living there I went to the Sun Bowl every year.  The Sun Bowl was big bowl back then. I saw Johnny Rogers, Tony Dorrset and others play there.  It was a pretty good bowl back then but i dont think they have sold it out since 2009.  They use to have a great basketball tournament during the same week.  They bring in two really good team and one no so good team.  The two good teams played the first night and UTEP played the not so good team.  The next night UTEP got the winner and most times beat them in the championship game.

LIke I  said that was a million years ago. I most likely go to the game if were invited.  It is about a 8.5 hour drive from denton and I think once you get past weatherford or so the speed limit on the intersate jumps to 85 mph and after Midland you are out in the middle of no where.  So 85 becomes 88 or so and you make great time because there is no traffic until you get close to EP. 

If we got an invite there i would go.  Flights are cheap to EL Paso.

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

If we got an invite there i would go.  Flights are cheap to EL Paso.

I keep telling people EP is a good trip.

• We know the schedule months in advance, buy a cheap ticket early.
  • It a short flight, about 1:15.  
  • Plenty of hotels near the airport, or downtown next to the stadium, etc.
  • El Paso is a very safe city.   I think some people are scared off because it is close to Juarez.
  • Some people are scared of the UTEP fans because a video went viral.  Been to UTEP games many times, never hassled.  I've seen fights in the Fouts and Apogee parking lots, there are jerks and hot heads in every fan base.  
  • The food is incredible.