Do we have Liquid Gold in the QB Talent Pipeline?

Mike Jackson

I love Fine and everything he had done.  I am looking forward to his senior season being the one where the Mean Green accomplishes their biggest goals.  1. Win Divsion 2. Win CUSA Championship Game 3.  Win Bowl Game 4. Finish season in AP top 25

So I am going down this list on underclassmen quarterbacks and I have dreams of Houston Cougar run and shoot Era Heisman candidates quarterbacks dancing in my head.  If just one of them reaches their full potential it could be epic at Apogee in the coming decade.   Which one has the best potential cause I can't tell?   Jason Bean looks like he has really good speed.  Cade Pearson looks like he has the best accuracy.  Then you have Austin Aune who is a grown man who has spent 6 years in professional athletics in the NY Yankee's organization.  And finally Kason Martin who probably played against the best talent throughout his senior year.  I think Bean may have the most potential but that is just a shot in the dark.  If you guys had to pick the one to max out that would help the Mean Green the most who would it be and why?

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, MCMLXXX said:

With the 4 game allowance for red shirts I hope and expect to see some other QB's take some snaps. I think Bean stands a good chance at getting some QB playing time this year.

Only after Mason has hit the 400 yard passing mark, per GH and SL protocol.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Only after Mason has hit the 400 yard passing mark, per GH and SL protocol.

We would also have to have a lead late in the game. One would have thought Rice and UTEP should have offered such an opportunity but our slow starts in those games ended any hope of bringing in the backups. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

For me it would be a toss up between Cade and Kason. Cade is a great quarterback nd a good leader. Kason is a good quarterback and a great leader. If either of them turn their good part into great, they will become Mason Fine plus 5 inches.

I am excited about all the QB's we have coming in.   But, I am not willing to say any of them turns into Mason Fine + 5 inches.

Mason is one of the most accurate QB's I have ever seen in CFB at any level.   He is running for his life half the time and can still make the throws.   The kid is just amazing.   If you put 5 inches on Mason Fine, I would have no doubt he would be playing in the NFL at some level.  He has everything except the height.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm interested to hear why you think Bean & not Martin.   I was leaning Martin.

(+) Arm strength, down field vision/ postioning the ball in the optimum catch radius for recievers, speed

(-) size, growth as a collegiate QB, and short passing game. 

When QB’s have speed they tend to omit the check downs for the short passing game. 

• Upvote 2

It good to have the talent we hope we have. I start wondering about one of the guys transferring out. Seems these days more and more QB's are moving on rather than sticking around. It will be interesting to see what happens with Cade if he not the clear #2 after this season.

41 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I like that our coaching staff will have their choice from Pearson, Martin, Bean, Kuehne and probably one other.  When have we ever had that luxury.  Any of these young men would have started for us in our past.

How do we know this is a luxury?   We've not seen any of these guys play.

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

How do we know this is a luxury?   We've not seen any of these guys play.

You're right.  I would rather have the laundry list of non-D1 talent backing up Fine that we have historically had with this program.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1