Oline coach better get to it!

p_phelps

1 hour ago, IdRatherNot said:

It’s not the o-line coach. You’d be surprised at how little control position coaches have over their lineups. Especially position coaches that are under a head coach that specializes in that area (offense/Defense). I’d move Woodworth to LT, and move Murray inside or have a competition at LG. Also,  line looks worse because there’s no RB superstar, it changes a lot of things.

Good points.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Fine helmet knocked off.jpg

This is the kind of crap that one of our OL needs to retaliate against. Earhole the opponent that does this or something to let them know this won't be tolerated needs to be done. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

This is the kind of crap that one of our OL needs to retaliate against. Earhole the opponent that does this or something to let them know this won't be tolerated needs to be done. 

That's what seems to bug me, we don't seem to have a mean streak on the o-line.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Don't know what bothers me more, the refs letting them destroy Fine after the play or our o-linemen watching it happen helplessly.

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Not going to lie I would’ve high lowed the guy very next play. Deal with the coaches on Sunday. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Again... someone please tell me how getting a better o-line coach going to make our guys bigger, faster, and stronger?

This line is the best group of guys we have on the team.  We know what they are... maybe the OC needs to draw up some plays knowing this is a weakness for us. 

Bigger Faster Stronger is not the problem.
Woody having some serious struggles this year.  That kind of regression is not normal for a dude like him (all conference guy last year).

Again... this is the same OL that was not having problems blocking SEC linemen early in the season.   They must have put something on film (issues picking up certain kinds of stunts or something?) that is causing lesser opponents to have success against them.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Again... someone please tell me how getting a better o-line coach going to make our guys bigger, faster, and stronger?

This line is the best group of guys we have on the team.  We know what they are... maybe the OC needs to draw up some plays knowing this is a weakness for us. 

how about the position coach work on fundamentals with the guys or do something to light a fire so they don't get their Captain of the ship killed, every f'n play

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

how about the position coach work on fundamentals with the guys or do something to light a fire so they don't get their Captain of the ship killed, every f'n play

Yep the same o line who blocked for their QB against UAB who fumbled the ball....

Most QBs have a good relationship with their o line and they have bad days like any other positions. Maybe this bye week will help them....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

When your offensive line is so bad you can't run inside or protect long enough to throw deep then it's going to be hard to consistently call plays that work. 

Considering how awful our OL has preformed this year, I actually think Harrell has done a good job play-calling. Sure, there are a couple calls a game that I don't like (running on 4th and 1 vs UAB, the QB draw on 3rd and 9 vs Rice), but I don't think some of you understand how hard it is to call plays to cover up for the WHOLE offensive line. 

If it was just Jordan Murray that struggled, we could help him with chip blocks from the HB or TE or roll Mason out to the right. But when you can't trust the rest of the oline to win their 1 on 1 matchups it doesn't matter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

When your offensive line is so bad you can't run inside or protect long enough to throw deep then it's going to be hard to consistently call plays that work. 

Considering how awful our OL has preformed this year, I actually think Harrell has done a good job play-calling. Sure, there are a couple calls a game that I don't like (running on 4th and 1 vs UAB, the QB draw on 3rd and 9 vs Rice), but I don't think some of you understand how hard it is to call plays to cover up for the WHOLE offensive line. 

If it was just Jordan Murray that struggled, we could help him with chip blocks from the HB or TE or roll Mason out to the right. But when you can't trust the rest of the oline to win their 1 on 1 matchups it doesn't matter. 

Adjustments were obviously made late in the game on Saturday because Torrey went wild.  A lot of it, success up the middle.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Bingo, thus our running backs have a hard time gaining yards because the line doesn't help open up any holes for them to get anywhere. Unless you have a Herschel Walker type RB that mows down defenders.. Then good luck with the ground game. When the line starts collapsing immediately after the snap, Mason has to act on half second decisions to avoid a loss or scramble around like a mad man to throw a pass. A lot of our offensive play calling depends on how our line performs. I think we're an air raid offense, but more so now because the Oline not up to par. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Big Z said:

Yep the same o line who blocked for their QB against UAB who fumbled the ball....

Most QBs have a good relationship with their o line and they have bad days like any other positions. Maybe this bye week will help them....

The same o line that has trouble giving Fine 3 seconds to throw the ball for most of the season. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

I think it's pretty clear that Langston isn't the answer.

Every time they show him he's just screaming about lunch pails and hard hats.

Brad Davis seemed to be a better teaching/technical coach.

Maybe I missed something, but the most of the time he is explaining what the defense is doing.  The UAB episode of BTG showed him discussing what UAB was doing with Littrell.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Maybe I missed something, but the most of the time he is explaining what the defense is doing.  The UAB episode of BTG showed him discussing what UAB was doing with Littrell.

yeah now that you mention it, he's shown teaching a bunch, but it doesn't seem to resonate very well.

Maybe it's just the players. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Rudy said:

The same o line that has trouble giving Fine 3 seconds to throw the ball for most of the season. 

Try playing the offensive line, one of the most un appreciated positions to play in football. But it’s a little much for people to already have the O line coach fired at a 7-2 record.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

23 hours ago, Harry said:

Good points.

Gotta agree with those points. Without a definitive running game, defenses can just pin their ears back and go, and I'm not sure if that's on blocking schemes, conditioning, or the RBs on the depth chart. 

My related concern is for Fine and the QB position. I'm worried that we haven't seen much of the rest of the QB corps this season - blowouts/garbage time or not. Why? And if its a matter of the skill of the other QBs, without a good running game, we're in trouble if Fine gets hurt.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Big Z said:

Try playing the offensive line, one of the most un appreciated positions to play in football. But it’s a little much for people to already have the O line coach fired at a 7-2 record.

Oklahoma would disagree. OC fired after 5-1, and the season before that winning the conference championship. Nature of the beast..