Oline coach better get to it!

p_phelps

4 hours ago, p_phelps said:

It's one thing to struggle against the better teams in the conference but getting Mason killed against Rice!? Their sack leader has 2 on the season and Mason was hit every pass play. IT IS THE PROBLEM!

Don’t you dare disparage 20 year olds!  

Play calling is the only culprit...GH clearly called the “d-line jailbreak” play repeatedly

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Don’t you dare disparage 20 year olds!  

Play calling is the only culprit...GH clearly called the “d-line jailbreak” play repeatedly

Solution? Please tell me what you would do??? I also didn't say anything about GH. I was talking about the our Oline coach. Since you wouldn't change the staff I guess we just do nothing and hope it gets better? Love it! 

Edited by p_phelps
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Solution? Please tell me what you would do??? I also didn't say anything about GH. I was talking about the our Oline coach. Since you wouldn't change the staff I guess we just do nothing and hope it gets better? Love it! 

Sarcasm not your strong suit?  

You missed entirely the gist of my post...I have said all year that the o-line (and specifically LT) has been a liability, but some argue that play calling would cure all ills 

I watched Mason during last weeks game , and watched him after each play tonight.

God almighty! Mason got the crap beat out of him again tonight! Geez he took some awful hits after the pass plays! I only saw one roughing the passer penalty tonight when there should have at least a dozen or more called! Looked like the Rice defense was trying to get to Mason any way they could. Even UAB and La Tech looked to be doing the same thing!

Watch out for UTSA and FAU.  All the teams know that Mason runs the show.

The game plan is simple - take Mason out!

26 minutes ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

I only saw one roughing the passer penalty tonight when there should have at least a dozen or more called! Looked like the Rice defense was trying to get to Mason any way they could. Even UAB and La Tech looked to be doing the same thing!

I noticed at least two missed/not called roughing the passer penalties.  Conference USA officiating is so bad, it is borderline negligent.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

I noticed at least two missed/not called roughing the passer penalties.  Conference USA officiating is so bad, it is borderline negligent.

That one though that was called was so blatant it made me sick..  MF let the ball go and the DB traveled 3-5 more yards and dove at Mason’s right knee.  That was a clear attempt to injure him.  I would have lost it as a coach on the sidelines right then and there.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

That one though that was called was so blatant it made me sick..  MF let the ball go and the DB traveled 3-5 more yards and dove at Mason’s right knee.  That was a clear attempt to injure him.  I would have lost it as a coach on the sidelines right then and there.

Rick

I was thinking that should have been targeting? Not helment to helmet but, he dov e head first LATE into MF knees. Seems like he was Targeting MFs knees.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, p_phelps said:

I was thinking that should have been targeting? Not helment to helmet but, he dov e head first LATE into MF knees. Seems like he was Targeting MFs knees.

I thought Rice played a pretty dirty game with the unesscary roughness penalities. All were  pretty cheap shots.  The one on Rico or guyton cant recall.  He was out of the bound the whistle blew and that guy had to speed up to throw the cheap shot.  Going after Mason knees.  SInce Rice is so highly regarded you think they would be a class team.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, southsideguy said:

I thought Rice played a pretty dirty game with the unesscary roughness penalities. All were  pretty cheap shots.  The one on Rico or guyton cant recall.  He was out of the bound the whistle blew and that guy had to speed up to throw the cheap shot.  Going after Mason knees.  SInce Rice is so highly regarded you think they would be a class team.

Would have thought the same of Army

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2

I dont know if there is anything we can do this year, but we need to recruit an oline for 2019. Mason is letting the oline coach get by with the poor performance. Yesterday's game had me and some fans around me very nervous and frustrated with the lack of protection Fine was getting. We are soooooo lucky Fine isn't turning the ball over, when he's got a 250 pound + rusher coming down the middle to knock his lights out. That is how skilled Mason is. 

@FirefightnRick talked about it, but the one play that the Rice player straight up low tackled Fine at his right knee and there is no excuses for that. That crap ends football careers, was on purpos, and inexcusable.. Rice is trash and they need to work on sportsmanship..

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

13 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

God almighty! Mason got the crap beat out of him again tonight! Geez he took some awful hits after the pass plays! 

There was one play in the 3rd or early in the 4th where Mason was bent over, hands on hips, wincing in pain after the play... And the line just walks away from him.

I would be hot as hell with them for lack of protection.  We should be shaking down the JuCo ranks constantly trying to fine big boys who want to block.

Yes, lets scrap the ol; because apparently NT can recruit much better, and just have not chosen to do so.    

There probably is not one fan posting on this board that actually knows which offensive linemen are good and which or not.  It would take study and some football expertise to actually determine that.

The normal whipping boy Murray played little so there has to be others to blame.   

Rice's mission was to put Fine out of the game, and they apparently didn't mind how much in penalties they got in that pursue.  Rice also gave up 500 yards and 27 first downs while concentrating on Fine. 

The offensive line obviously needs to improve, but my guess is that most of them are pretty good at their job.  

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 7

It’s not the o-line coach. You’d be surprised at how little control position coaches have over their lineups. Especially position coaches that are under a head coach that specializes in that area (offense/Defense). I’d move Woodworth to LT, and move Murray inside or have a competition at LG. Also,  line looks worse because there’s no RB superstar, it changes a lot of things.

Edited by IdRatherNot
  • Upvote 3