UTA is considering reviving its FB program 30+ years after shutting it down

Coach Andy Mac

On 10/26/2018 at 12:48 PM, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

They have done an amazing job with growing their university. I think having a FB team is the right move for them. 

Thanks for the open-minded comment, @SteaminWillieBeamin. 

As for the rest of you, it's fun to see the responses to "the story we hear every year," as if your comments were not as repetitive as the repetitious story.  "Not enough interest."  "Not enough money."  "Commuter school." "Can't compete for the DFW dollars."

I'm not sure what was the point of the references to UTSA, UTEP and the other UT's.  Just like UNT, UT Arlington is stuck in a governmental amalgamation that exerts control over our school in return for a fraction of the funding.

I mean, I'm not feeling the love, and have to assume we would have a really good, bitter, nasty rivalry with UNT in football, just as we almost have had in basketball. (Maybe your basketball team can finally beat us this year, and after that, maybe we can call it a rivalry.  Oh wait.  Maybe we should cancel the game, like UNT did a few years ago when we were favored.)

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Ray 1
  • Confused 2

On 10/31/2018 at 8:55 PM, FirefightnRick said:

I love ya buddy,...but after what most sports fans region wide deem as the most stupid firing of the year by your dumbass AD I’m not sure you’d want that moron making the decisions in putting together a football program?

Rick

Dang it, you're right.  That Burnt Orange AD is not my favorite.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, Duck_Mav said:

Thanks for the open-minded comment, @SteaminWillieBeamin. 

As for the rest of you, it's fun to see the responses to "the story we hear every year," as if your comments were not as repetitive as the repetitious story.  "Not enough interest."  "Not enough money."  "Commuter school." "Can't compete for the DFW dollars."

I'm not sure what was the point of the references to UTSA, UTEP and the other UT's.  Just like UNT, UT Arlington is stuck in a governmental amalgamation that exerts control over our school in return for a fraction of the funding.

I mean, I'm not feeling the love, and have to assume we would have a really good, bitter, nasty rivalry with UNT in football, just as we almost have had in basketball. (Maybe your basketball team can finally beat us this year, and after that, maybe we can call it a rivalry.  Oh wait.  Maybe we should cancel the game, like UNT did a few years ago when we were favored.)

We had a pretty good one going on in the 80's when we were both in the Southland Conf. Chuck Curtis was  the UTA coach and he wanted to really get it going to the level of TCU/SMU. And given his propensity for promotion, it could have easily happened. But alas, the rug was pulled right out from under him in 85. UTA's very last game was at Fouts. I've said many times that if UTA had kept their program, Chuck Curtis would have either had them dominating the metroplex in Football, or he would have had them on probation all the time...……….😎

• Lovely Take 1

On 10/27/2018 at 7:34 PM, Mike Jackson said:

This does not seem realistic in the least.  Maybe a Division II team.  They could beef up one the Arlington HS Stadiums and share that.  Texas Wesleyan plays in the NAIA that might be a good rivalry.  A rivalry may get Alumni going those games at least.

NCAA stopped allowing schools to play down a division around 1991ish.  FCS is the lowest level they could field a team. 

Texas-Arlington Mavericks
1959 Chena Gilstrap Division II Independent 4 3 0
1960 Division II Independent 9 2 0
1961 Division II Independent 7 3 0
1962 Division II Independent 4 6 0
1963 Division II Independent 1 8 0
1964 Southland Conference 5th 3 6 1
1965 Southland Conference 2nd 6 3 0
1966 * Burley Bearden Southland Conference 1st 6 4 0
1967 * Southland Conference 1st 10 1 0 Won 1967 Pecan Bowl against North Dakota State Bison, 13–0 ^
1968 Southland Conference 2nd 6 4 0
1969 Southland Conference 3rd 5 5 0
1970 Southland Conference 5th 0 10 0
1971 John Symank Southland Conference 7th 2 9 0
1972 Southland Conference 2nd 5 6 0
1973 Southland Conference 5th 4 6 0
1974 Harold Elliott Southland Conference 5th 1 10 0
1975 Southland Conference 5th 4 7 0
1976 Southland Conference 3rd 5 6 0
1977 Southland Conference 3rd 5 6 0
1978 Southland Conference 3rd 5 6 0
1979 Southland Conference 2nd 9 2 0
1980 Southland Conference 3rd 3 8 0
1981 * Southland Conference 1st 6 5 0
1982 Southland Conference 6th 3 8 0
1983 Southland Conference 5th 5 6 0
1984 Chuck Curtis Southland Conference 3rd 7 4 0
1985 Southland Conference 6th 4 6 1
Total 128 150 2 (only includes regular season games)
1 0 0 (only includes bowl games)
129 150 2 (all games)

uta records, I know they beat us in 1980?   As I recall we had an opening and the UTA wanted the job bad and said he could bring his players.  I played against two of his players in high school and was not impressed but they probably felt the same way.

Edited by southsideguy

History of the Pecan bowl in case you end up on Jeopardy or Who wants to be a Millionaire.

The second set of games known as the Pecan Bowl were played in Texas from 1964 through 1970.[2] The bowl was one of four regional finals in the College Division (which became Division II and Division III in 1973); it was not classified as a major bowl.[3] The Pecan Bowl was the regional final for the Midwest region, bounded on the east by the Mississippi River and on the west by the states of Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico.[4] The other three regional finals were the Tangerine (later Boardwalk), Grantland Rice, and Camellia bowls.

These Pecan Bowl games were originally played at Shotwell Stadium in Abilene, and after four years moved to Arlington's Memorial Stadium for the last three editions.[5] The bowl name had been selected through a public contest in 1964, and was considered appropriate as Abilene is in the Texas pecan belt.[4]

The first Midwest regional final was played in 1964 between the State College of Iowa (now the University of Northern Iowa) and Lamar Tech (now Lamar University), won by State College.[6][7] Two schools made three appearances, North Dakota State and Arkansas State, with both winning twice and losing once. They played each other in 1968, won by top-ranked NDSU.[8]

The Midwest regional final shifted to the Pioneer Bowl in Wichita Falls in 1971.

Edited by southsideguy
  • Lovely Take 1

10 hours ago, southsideguy said:

That reminds me in a couple of weeks we get the UTSA jerks showing up, camerokid comes to mind.  He is always such a ray of sunshine.

That guy only comes around when UTSA wins, and stays around until they lose.  Then he scampers off into the detritus he came from. 

Edited by oldguystudent
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, CK2 said:

You guys were so desperate for in state rivals. Now that you got em, you don't want em. 

Also this is how we and the other SWC schools feel every time UNT tries to hang out with us.

🔴💭 CHASING COUGARS TRACKS!

CK2, I was a huge UH fan growing up in the Greater H-Town area.  Saw a UH frosh basketball team play at Delmar Gym;  that is, a team that featured Elvin Hayes, Don Chaney, Ken Spain, Theodus Lee & the 5’th starter whose name I suddenly cannot recall.  

Saw the UCLA-UH matchup (Alcindor vs Hayes) in the worst possible seats in the Astrodome.  Glad I brought my binoculars..

Saw a couple Astro-Bluebonnett games UH hosted but...

...the SWC breakup was the worst thing that could happen to UH, SMU & Rice.  To have SWC membership then lose it has to almost be worse than never having it at all—like us. Yes, it gave the Coogs credibility for sure but as the years continue to fly by that will be replaced by an annual reality that UH is still (like North Texas) a G5 school.  

Your UH leadership did have the vision in building a 40,000+ capacity football stadium.  No, y’all don't fill it every game but P5 schools are not filling theirs either, but your stadium’s capacity will allow UH from time to time to play & fill your stadium versus (ranked) schools we’d all crave  an association.  Such games as those will give UH more regional & national exposure than your entire AAC home schedule any season ever will. ➡️  We can relate except our stadium  (like an Olympic sized swimming pool we built at our PEB which was “one foot” shy of Olympic size so —scratch Olympic size)😳anyway,.....Apogee was probably built 9,000 seats too small which for the next 30 years will keep us hanging with the rest of the Sun Belt, Mid American & CUSA schools most of whom have similar 30K seat stadiums & a mindset to stay at that level.   I believe UH will find their separation from the  “30,000 seats” stadium club of G5 schools will probably pay dividends for the Coogs in the near future.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

On 11/2/2018 at 8:25 PM, CK2 said:

Also this is how we and the other SWC schools feel every time UNT tries to hang out with us.

Interesting. I seem to recall we’ve beaten three SWC schools handily this year.

The first of which just took ya’ll to the woodshed. Please, enlighten us further.

• Upvote 4