UTA is considering reviving its FB program 30+ years after shutting it down

Coach Andy Mac

For the first time in 14 years, UT-Arlington is seriously considering the revival of its dormant football program.

UTA president Vistasp Karbhari and athletic director Jim Baker have examined the costs of adding a football team within the next 10 years, according to documents obtained through an open records request. In addition to football, the Mavericks have also looked at adding women's soccer and beach volleyball.

In 1985, the university disbanded its football program because of budget constraints. In a statement provided Thursday, Baker said the university is seeking an additional feasibility study from a third party. Baker also said the football program "must be exclusively funded by private, philanthropic resources" and exclude any additional money from student fees.

Through school spokespersons, Baker and Karbhari declined interview requests Thursday. Karbhari also cited Baker's statement when asked for a comment.

In September, the state's attorney general ruled UTA had to release selected emails and documents about UTA's football program. Those materials were released earlier this week after The News filed a complaint to the state's attorney general office.

According to an internal budget projection, adding those three sports could cost UTA $146.7 million over 10 years. During the 2017 fiscal year, UTA reported $530,067 in athletic donations and $14.1 million in total operating athletic revenue.

Adding women's soccer and beach volleyball brings an estimated combined cost of $10 million over 10 years, with volleyball starting in Year 2 and soccer in Year 3. The two sports would have 20 combined full scholarships, which would help UTA fulfill the Title IX obligations that come with adding 85 football scholarships.

In April, Baker and Karbhari reviewed a document that featured a 10-year projection for the football program. By the sixth year, the Mavericks would have a team competing in the Football Bowl Subdivision, the NCAA's highest level.

Read more:  https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/10/25/exclusive-ut-arlington-considering-reviving-football-program-30-years-after-disbanded

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Downvote 1

Just now, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

They have done an amazing job with growing their university. I think having a FB team is the right move for them. 

The problem is they're quickly moving away from being a comprehensive university. There's a reason why UNT is staking its claim as the most comprehensive school in the DFW metroplex, as UTA is going the way of UTD and shifting allocations around to specialize in its strengths. 

All that to say, when recruiting, is it really appealing to say here's your very narrowly limited options for degrees?

• Upvote 5

I don't see how a school with 40k students can be specialized. They are doing a great job in upping their research and churning out good degrees for the money. However, I really don't know. You probably know more than me..  What are they trying to specialize in?

Seems like UNT is falling by the wayside when UTD and UTA are about to pass us by. UTD is incredible with their science... hard to believe they almost have 30k students. 

I doubt UTA or UTD will have the total college 'feel' of UNT. But Football on campus will help that process along..

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 3
  • Downvote 3

It was strange they opened their new stadium back then, saw us lose there, and shut the program not long after that.  That is what i call planning. Speaking of stadiums when I went to the PIT for the MG madness deal.  I parked at the west lot and when i go out of my car I was looking directly at the Fouts field press box since the east stands were taken down.  What a dump we played in for so many years.  No wonder no one took us seriouly.  Tear down before I have nightmares.

I wonder what the UTA football uniforms will look like.  Somehow I think a long similar to UTSA and UTEP. Maybe the UTSA helmet with the S scracthed off. 

They open back up the program and they get a deal like UAB?  Anybody can play there for two years?

One last question where did cross end up at?

Edited by southsideguy
  • Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1