Best restaurant around the Square?

I’m coming back for homecoming this weekend with some folks from Amarillo who haven’t been to Denton. What’s the best place around/off the square for dinner after the game?  I’m not familiar with Hoochies, is it any good?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Rudy said:

The last time I ate on the square was LSA.  Good burger.

Enjoy your escape from the panhandle.  I know I do every time I get to come down.

Haha, will do. Where are you at in the Panhandle?

3 minutes ago, MCMLXXX said:

Barley and Board, Thai Square, Hannah's, Tex Tapas...

Hoochies is good but I have only been there once.

I've heard good things about Barley and Board. I've got a 5 year old with me though so I'll probably go more casual. Is Tex Tapas fairly casual Mexican food?

15 minutes ago, MeanGreengdub said:

I've heard good things about Barley and Board. I've got a 5 year old with me though so I'll probably go more casual. Is Tex Tapas fairly casual Mexican food?

A 5-yr-old...  I think I can help you.
Get to the square around 10:30am, if possible.
Enjoy walking around the square & the Day of the Dead Festival.
Go to LSA & sit on the top deck (it's supposed to be beautiful that day), and enjoy the view & your food.
Then, go right next door to Beth Maries.  Once you've devoured some of the best ice cream ever, double back 2-3 doors past LSA to Atomic Candy, give your 5-yr-old $5, and let him/her go nuts.
By then, the Coffin Races should be ramping up.  Watch that, then head over to Apogee!
Or, skip the Coffin Races & get over to Apogee & enjoy the Mean Green March & other pre-game stuff there!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A 5-yr-old...  I think I can help you.
Get to the square around 10:30am, if possible.
Enjoy walking around the square & the Day of the Dead Festival.
Go to LSA & sit on the top deck (it's supposed to be beautiful that day), and enjoy the view & your food.
Then, go right next door to Beth Maries.  Once you've devoured some of the best ice cream ever, double back 2-3 doors past LSA to Atomic Candy, give your 5-yr-old $5, and let him/her go nuts.
By then, the Coffin Races should be ramping up.  Watch that, then head over to Apogee!
Or, skip the Coffin Races & get over to Apogee & enjoy the Mean Green March & other pre-game stuff there!

Do they walk through the Hill for the Mean Green March? About what time would that be?

5 hours ago, MeanGreengdub said:

Tex Tapas is hard to describe but is not casual Mexican food. You can get the menu online. My grandson gets cheesy flatbread at B&B.

Mexican downtown is pretty much limited to Fuzzys and Rusty Taco.

31 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I heard Atomic Candy closed.  Is that correct?

A flock of children I hang out with racked up $40+ in candy Saturday afternoon and the place was packed, so I think that's incorrect barring some kind of shocking Monday morning letter on the door today.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...