UTSA gladly replaces North Texas on Army’s schedule

Coach Bill Lewis

2 minutes ago, All About UNT said:

You mean Norfolk and ODU. San Diego is 20x further from Annapolis and while it has a large base it isn't a "Navy Town"

Well Navy is playing there in San Diego tomorrow in a neutral site game vs Notre Dame. 

5 hours ago, Huff said:

I am sorry to see them get this game.  It is a great game and they do not deserve to get it.

I agree. As physically tough of a game it may be, it's not a series you just walk away from. Play the series out and be done with it. It's a marquee game for fans that as proven gets excitement up and butts in seats. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 3
  • Downvote 5

26 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Well Navy is playing there in San Diego tomorrow in a neutral site game vs Notre Dame. 

I agree. As physically tough of a game it may be, it's not a series you just walk away from. Play the series out and be done with it. It's a marquee game for fans that as proven gets excitement up and butts in seats. 

Well that I can see because ODU seats about 20,000 people. You were talking about Navy playing Notre Dame so they will need a larger Stadium than that to facilitate that game. Plus San Diego is a far sexier destination than Hampton Roads

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I dunno.   There were a LOT more people sitting in my section for the Army game last year than there was for SMU or any other game outside of the LATech game, really.   And several of those people were Army fans.

Then your section is an outlier. There were 3,127 more people at the SMU game.

Playing Army is fine, but dropping the series allowed us to schedule home and home series with Houston and Cal. Beating either of those teams would do way more for our program than beating Army. 

• Upvote 6

9 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Then your section is an outlier. There were 3,127 more people at the SMU game.

Playing Army is fine, but dropping the series allowed us to schedule home and home series with Houston and Cal. Beating either of those teams would do way more for our program than beating Army. 

Oh, I know about dropping the Army series.  It was mainly dropped because Littrell wanted it to be dropped, not for scheduling.
I was just commenting about the draw.  Section 205, sadly is usually not very full, even when announced attendance is way high.  LATech was very full.  SMU this year was too, but there were many more people sitting around us during that Army game than there were for SMU. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DentonLurker said:

People say this all the time about Army, but it's just not true.

It's true...

1. It was a top 5 attended game in Apogee history I believe. 

2. It's a guaranteed TV game. Like actual tv, not stadium or Facebook. 

3. And when Army is good, like they were last year, it's an attention grabbing W. 

4. It also garners national media publicity more than any other opponent. 

An Army game does more for the program than any other conference opponent we have. Army is a national brand. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 2

49 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Army Road Attendance Stats 2018

at Duke 26,017- 65% of capacity

at OU 87,117- 101% of capacity- Oklahoma shows attendance over capacity for all home games

at Buffalo 23,671- 95% of capacity- Buffalo was undefeated and in the middle of a huge year for them

at San Jose State 15,627- 51% of capacity

At UNT - 26,392 - 86% capacity and top 5 attendance in the history of Apogee.

7 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It's true...

You're correct. It's currently #4, but likely to drop to #5 after this Saturday.

It was on Bein last year. Not exactly an easy channel to find anymore. Streaming on ESPN3 would be better.

3. And when Army is good, like they were last year, it's an attention grabbing W. 

Army being good is rare. And the aspect about playing Army I think a lot of people overrate is how much attention it brings.

See #3 I don't recall any national TV/radio shows talking about us because we beat Army.

An Army game does more for the program than any other conference opponent we have. Army is a national brand. 

Sure, but they're an OOC opponent. Does it do more for the program than beating Houston or Cal? I don't think so.

• Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It's true...

1. We've had 5 of the top 7 crowds in Apogee history this season and last. Hardly can credit "Army" for that.

2. No it's not. Army plays games all the time that aren't on major linear channels. Both Cal and Houston who replaced Army are in conferences with better TV packages.

3. Not to disparage an Academy but no it doesn't. Army has a all time win percentage of .567. For point of reference UNT has one of .502.

4. Hard to quantify. I don't recall any national press when we beat Army. I remember it makings lots of local news because we were a big underdog.

As to your last comment. I do agree the Army brand is as strong or stronger than any conference brand. Not because of athletics history but because of general patriotism and appreciation for our service men and women.

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Let me help finish this sentence for you.

I agree. As physically tough of a game it may be, it's not a series you just walk away from. Play the series out and be done with it. It's a marquee game for fans that as proven gets excitement up and butts in seats in my opinion with my zero total years experience playing, coaching or administrating college football.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

in my opinion with my zero total years experience playing, coaching or administrating college football.

If you're required to check these boxes, shouldn't this board just cease operations? There would be a pretty short list of people left if you need to fall into one of theses categories to speak about and have an opinion about sports. It's just sports, not rocket science or curing cancer.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Let me help finish this sentence for you.

I agree. As physically tough of a game it may be, it's not a series you just walk away from. Play the series out and be done with it. It's a marquee game for fans that as proven gets excitement up and butts in seats in my opinion with my zero total years experience playing, coaching or administrating college football.

That make you feel better? 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 4