NT gets verbal from a Texas Top 20

MeanGreen61

Found this on the UL-Lafayette board

By Ron Briscoe, Southeast Regional Basketball Report

North Texas' second year coach Johnny Jones get's his 1st commitment of the Fall... 6'7 GF Sr. David Fisher of South Oak Cliff HS in Dallas, TX give coach Jones a commitment on Monday after his official visit to North Texas last weekend. Fisher is a Top 60 player from the Southeast Region and a Top 20 player from the state of Texas.

WOW!

IF this is true this is a great pickup for Coach Jones!

David Fisher plays AAU ball with Team Texas, good size and is very athletic and who can shoot and rebound. He has recieved alot of intrest from Illinois, Texas, TCU, Oklahoma, SMU, Tennessee, and Arizona State.

The Illini Recruiting site has this to say about him: 'Very athletic and slashing wing who rebounds very well. He plays AAU ball with Team Texas."

link

Gosh guys, I'm not a David Fisher fan. This kid will tease you with his athletic ability but lacks basic basketball fundamentals. For every good play he makes, he will commit a dumb mistake or turnover. He slashes to the bucket effectively but often does not finish the play or commit a charge. Fisher was a highly touted sophomore but has not shown much improvement.

It's amazing how kids grow 2-3 inches over a summer. This kid is only 6-5 and maybe a tweener for the 3 position. Not much of an outside threat but may make a shot. SOC should again be a good team with good players. They however lack a great player.

IMHO, Fisher is a low level D1 prospect. (SFA, UTA type). I hope he improves significantly over his Soph & Jr campaign, however guys, don't get your hopes up too high on this one.

Cooley, I hope that you will learn to love him.

I don't know who the rating group was that put him in Texas' Top Twenty, but if was Texas Hoops, or one of similar quality, they don't usually miss on their Top 30-40.

He may be raw but I feel good about this coaching staff making him a solid player.

As far as growing 2-3 inches over a summer, that's very possible. I grew six inches one summer. Of course, I started from a bas of 5-8. But it definitely can be done. In fact, I beleive that Michael DeGrate grew two inches this past summer.

I always respect your knowledge of basketball players. You're usually not wrong but I hope that in this case you are. Maybe not in the beginning but in the end.

• 4 weeks later...