Don’t You Dare Feel Sorry For Rice!

FirefightnRick

10 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Didn't their coach apologize after the game because he couldn't stop his fifteenth string from scoring? 

No idea but a better question you should ask yourself: Was there an apology printed in the %#€?ing paper next to.....

RICE 77 NORTH TEXAS 20?

Answer: No

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Thanks 2

They could have easily hung another 4 TD's on us.  That was the second-most pathetic performance I have ever seen (okay, I listened to it on the radio) from a North Texas team.

Here is the box score: https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/boxscores/2008-09-27-rice.html

Note that Rice did not score once in the 4th quarter.  Also note that Rice's last 2 TD's were pick 6's--what are their DB's supposed to do?

Feel sorry?  Nah, we've been through too much misery ourselves.  But that game is no example of running up the score.

Beat Rice.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I probably won’t be able to stop myself feeling sorry for them. I suffer from this human flaw called “empathy”. 

Beat them by a good margin, then call in the backups, and breeze into the finish. If that wasn’t something that 2008 Rice would have done for us, it really doesn’t matter. We can’t control what other people do. We can only control what we do.

Edited by UNTDoubleAlum
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

54 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I was at that game. They easily could have scored 100+. 

I’ve always been morbidly curious about how bad that 2008 team was. That was my sophomore year at college (although first year at UNT due to community college/Iraq), so I went to most of the home games, and remember thinking that, in person, they looked like an all-time bad Football team. 

Do any of the College Football gurus on here have any stats/theories/opinions on how that year’s team stacked up with other really bad teams through Division 1 CF history? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That game was so depressing. Freaking SWC dweller Rice, holding back to keep from EASILY scoring a 100 on us. Bailiff actually made me feel better by NOT running up the score any further. 

I fee no empathy for Rice now, but that game never has made me mad at them. It was more at how inept our entire program was at that time.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTDoubleAlum said:

I’ve always been morbidly curious about how bad that 2008 team was. That was my sophomore year at college (although first year at UNT due to community college/Iraq), so I went to most of the home games, and remember thinking that, in person, they looked like an all-time bad Football team. 

Do any of the College Football gurus on here have any stats/theories/opinions on how that year’s team stacked up with other really bad teams through Division 1 CF history? 

I truly believe our 2008 1-win team would’ve murdered our 2015 1-win team. Our 2008 team could score some points, just couldn’t stop anyone. 

That 2015 bunch with those QBs and that offensive mentality wouldn’t have put up much of a fight.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I truly believe our 2008 1-win team would’ve murdered our 2015 1-win team. Our 2008 team could score some points, just couldn’t stop anyone. 

That 2015 bunch with those QBs and that offensive mentality wouldn’t have put up much of a fight.

Wowza. It was really hard for me to stay involved in 2014-2015 and be exposed to the 2015 team, having moved away from Denton and UNT not being super worthy of tv coverage those years. 

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTDoubleAlum said:

That 2008 team probably would have hung half-a-hundred on the 2015 team.  Remember, that's Vizza-to-Fitzgerald time.

Of course, no one in the 2008 defensive backfield would have been able to cover Harris or Kidsey, and Jeff Wilson would have torched them for over 200yds, so who knows who would win.   

The loser would no doubt have made some serious bone-headed mistakes to give the game to the other team. 

As for Rick's original point...   I agree, just let our depth do it to them like theirs did to us.   
Once Fine hits the magical 300yds cutoff (probably somewhere in the 3rd), let Shanbour come in and run the show.  
No need to keep starters in from whistle to whistle.

26 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

That 2008 team probably would have hung half-a-hundred on the 2015 team.  Remember, that's Vizza-to-Fitzgerald time.

Of course, no one in the 2008 defensive backfield would have been able to cover Harris or Kidsey, and Jeff Wilson would have torched them for over 200yds, so who knows who would win.   

The loser would no doubt have made some serious bone-headed mistakes to give the game to the other team. 

As for Rick's original point...   I agree, just let our depth do it to them like theirs did to us.   
Once Fine hits the magical 300yds cutoff (probably somewhere in the 3rd), let Shanbour come in and run the show.  
No need to keep starters in from whistle to whistle.

All you need to know is that one of those teams was coached by Todd Dodge.  2008 loses on a last second safety where the play started on the 2015 squad’s 1 yard line.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

54 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

There was NFL talent on that 2008 team.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

All you need to know is that one of those teams was coached by Todd Dodge.  2008 loses on a last second safety where the play started on the 2015 squad’s 1 yard line.  

Nah, McNulty passes chico’s Test with the best score, then proceeds to hand off each of the first two downs of 10 different drives, followed by 2-yard bubble screens. Finally, Josh Greer comes in and throws the pick 6 that ices the loss.

Vizza and Company rack up 985 yards, but only score one TD, we miss 7 FGs because the clock runs out on many of them since we had no timeouts. Afterwards, the 12-0 win, Dodge says the team graded out well. Mac said McNulty just needs more time. And RV got an extension because someone won the game...

Edited by untjim1995
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Do a Bama.  Come out and score 35 in the first half, take a big lead into half. End with 48 - 53 and get to 7-2. This sounds weird to think though because it feels like forever since we scored over 25 in a game (not including the last minute touchdown against southern miss). 

Okay change, just Win by 1 or more please!

GMG

When I read about the injuries on the Rice team, my thought was "Their season is over. Glad our's isn't." 

Just win, don't worry about revenge - no one on either coaching staff was there ten years ago! All of the current players were in elementry school! 

I like NMGreen's idea, build a big lead in the first half and rest guys in the second half. We have some injuries that need to heal. 

• Downvote 1