Rice Game Attendance

GreenTexan13

Rice Game Attendance   

139 members have voted

1. 1. Homecoming weekend! What will it be numbers wise?

• 28,000-30,850
    • 24,000-28,000
    • 20,000-24,000
    • 16,000-20,000

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/28/2018 at 05:00 AM

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Esterhouse said:

Can we close off the tailgating areas a few minutes before kickoff? Tell people to come in to the game or go home? It's ridiculous how many people stay out there instead of coming in to actually support the team. 

That’s silly. People were having a great time and they’re not obligated to go to the game. Myself, I even didn’t get into the game unti10 minutes into the first quarter because there were still so many people hanging around my tailgate. 

A couple of things to help attendance:

1) Schedule games at sunset (nobody wants to tailgate in the dark)

2) Have better more clear parking/shuttles. I wore my UNT polo to church a few weeks ago.. had a guy come up said he took his nephew to the SMU game; they had such a great time they came back for the LA Tech game but the lots were full and nobody had any information so they ended up turning around. I’m sure he wasn’t the only one. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

Same issue for 20+ years.  You have to allow the tailgating to make it feel like a big time program, but SUPRISE, some late teen/ early 20’s kids would rather drink, hangout, be social with each other than go into a football game.  I agree that most won’t continue tailgating once the sun goes down, but those afternoon games sure make for a fun day.  

I’m sure there are some of our students who got excited about the Top 25 votes, the big wins, the Heisman talk (which I believe led to some play calling mistakes by our coaches who wanted to pump up numbers) and then they saw it all pulled away from them with the 2 losses and a few close wins.  You’re going to have a tough time getting those folks into the games when they’re having fun.  Just keep winning.  There are 10’s of thousands of our students who didn’t make it within a hundred yards of the stadium.  Let’s focus on them.

• Upvote 3

On 10/24/2018 at 10:08 PM, southsideguy said:

Well it did rain on Wednesday so that will keep some fans away, 25.783.

I missed it by 404 fans, 25783 vs 25379 (my estimate).  Those 404 didnt make to the shuttle from downtown.  I was disappointed in the crowd or lack of crowd.   I sit on the westside and the sun was not good until it went behind the stadium.  I dont think the east side ever got out of the sun.  I think night games work better for the fans.

If you can't get students to the stadium in the afternoon don't plan on young alumni making up the difference. When my kids were young there were always football, soccer, baseball, etc....that they participated in on Sat. Late games work better all the way around...surely students will attend the Thursday NIGHT game with FAU. Have a feeling those with school age children won't be able to attend again.

• Upvote 3

50 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

If you can't get students to the stadium in the afternoon don't plan on young alumni making up the difference. When my kids were young there were always football, soccer, baseball, etc....that they participated in on Sat. Late games work better all the way around...surely students will attend the Thursday NIGHT game with FAU. Have a feeling those with school age children won't be able to attend again.

We would just miss my sons games to come to the late afternoon games. UNT sports is king in Denton.

• Thanks 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Attendence across CUSA yesterday:

North Texas- 25,379
ODU- 19,725
WKU- 15,138
FAU- 14,948
UTEP- 10,787
Charlotte- 8,687

As I watched a lot of games yesterday I noticed one but trend: empty seats.  Even in the stadiums of the mighty P5.

This ongoing trend suggests to me that the college football monetary arms race has got to come to a conclusion in the near future for everybody not named Alabama or Ohio St. 

20 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

This ongoing trend suggests to me that the college football monetary arms race has got to come to a conclusion in the near future for everybody not named Alabama or Ohio St. 

I really wonder if there wasn't an impact this year by the elimination of the ability to write off most of the forced "donation" to programs' scholarship funds to have access to buy season tickets.  I know I was disappointed...

Have only seen one article mention anything about it.  I know large programs were trying to get season ticket holders to donate years worth of "donations" by December 31st last year to get it on tax year 2017.