We need standards around here!!

emmitt01

How long will we accept mediocrity?  We play in a rundown stadium that we have to bring in generators to power on game days.  My lord, what recruit in their right mind would play in Fouts???!  And when the players practice they don't even have an indoor practice facility on the horizon to look forward to.  We run a boring offense that never puts up points and don't have any explosive players.  Fanbases wait generations to see QB's that re-write the record books, when will our drought end??  Most fan bases can look forward to attending bowl games at the end of the year...when will we be able to say that in consecutive years???!!  And don't even get me started on recruiting.  If you want to have sustained success you can't have bottom of the conference recruiting classes like we have been bringing in.  My lord, if we only had a highly ranked recruiting class we could begin to reload like the FAU's, UTSA's and UAB's of the world instead of rebuilding.  Hell, we might even have a rotation of defensive linemen with D1 size and highly rated secondary recruits currently redshirted and coming in the Fall.   Jesus, why can't we get a coach that is successful enough to have his name pop up in coaching search rumors because he has improved the team's record every year he has been here??  If we only had a coach that multiple sites like ESPN are talking about as a name to look out for when some P5 jobs come open.  

I just want us to show SOME form of forward momentum!!!

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
  • Ray 3
  • Confused 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 10

Reach much. 

You were all but certain, no wait you were certain the UAB game was a W. You even posted about their blowout loss to CC. But you are here to be super fan and breathe false hope with your neverending hint of sarcasm when things don't or didn't go as you matter of factly predicted. Now we need to be more optimistic? Welp, opinions differ. Get over it. Or try. Or whatever. I don't care what you do. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 2
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 17

We've overperformed relative to the majority of Mean Green football history, and started to do things the right way. We all love that and give credit where credit is due. 

It's also okay to admit that this team has blown multiple giant opportunities this year. They aren't mutually exclusive opinions to hold.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Reach much. 

You were all but certain, no wait you were certain the UAB game was a W. You even posted about their blowout loss to CC. But you are here to be super fan and breathe false hope with your neverending hint of sarcasm when things don't or didn't go as you matter of factly predicted. Now we need to be more optimistic? Welp, opinions differ. Get over it. Or try. Or whatever. I don't care what you do. 

The level that you don’t care is palpable 😂😂

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Downvote 5

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

How long will we accept mediocrity?  We play in a rundown stadium that we have to bring in generators to power on game days.  My lord, what recruit in their right mind would play in Fouts???!  And when the players practice they don't even have an indoor practice facility on the horizon to look forward to.  We run a boring offense that never puts up points and don't have any explosive players.  Fanbases wait generations to see QB's that re-write the record books, when will our drought end??  Most fan bases can look forward to attending bowl games at the end of the year...when will we be able to say that in consecutive years???!!  And don't even get me started on recruiting.  If you want to have sustained success you can't have bottom of the conference recruiting classes like we have been bringing in.  My lord, if we only had a highly ranked recruiting class we could begin to reload like the FAU's, UTSA's and UAB's of the world instead of rebuilding.  Hell, we might even have a rotation of defensive linemen with D1 size and highly rated secondary recruits currently redshirted and coming in the Fall.   Jesus, why can't we get a coach that is successful enough to have his name pop up in coaching search rumors because he has improved the team's record every year he has been here??  If we only had a coach that multiple sites like ESPN are talking about as a name to look out for when some P5 jobs come open.  

I see what you did there.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

We've overperformed relative to the majority of Mean Green football history, and started to do things the right way. We all love that and give credit where credit is due. 

It's also okay to admit that this team has blown multiple giant opportunities this year. They aren't mutually exclusive opinions to hold.

You are right. They aren't.  But to question the direction this is going or whether our coach is 'elite' enough reeks of a kind of superiority that we shouldn't have.  We just end up coming across as a bunch of assholes that can't see the forest for the trees. 

Edited by Travis
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I thought this would another thread about explicit advertisements on GMG...

• Haha 1

my standard is for the coaches to put the players in the best position to win with playcalling and in the 2 losses they failed the players. Great season but being 6-2 versus 8-0 is a swift kick to the nuts that I lay on the coaches, in particular GH for 2Q's of lousy play calling in each game cost the team

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

Upset is one thing?  I am upset...hell, my wife was upset I kept checking the score during a play and was in a bad mood after the loss.  

But some are honestly questioning whether SL has peaked and pushing the asinine narrative that UAB has done more with less (and conveniently forgetting HOW they got so good so fast).  THIS staff has one, count em, ONE loss to Troy.  How Troy did against Dickey has less than nothing to do with how a staff that is FINALLY being given the tools to succeed is doing.  

We are not TCU who had a history in the SWC and revitalized a once proud tradition.  We set the expectations a bit too lofty after last season, that team wasn’t supposed to peak that early.  That was done with recruiting classes that were middle of the pack CUSA classes...who in their right mind thinks that better recruiting is going to lead to a precipitous drop in the coming years?  

All I’m asking for is a bit of perspective.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

my standard is for the coaches to put the players in the best position to win with playcalling and in the 2 losses they failed the players. Great season but being 6-2 versus 8-0 is a swift kick to the nuts that I lay on the coaches, in particular GH for 2Q's of lousy play calling in each game cost the team

Congratulations Mean Green Nation!!!

We finally know what it feels like to be an Alabama fan.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Good post @emmitt01.  I also agree it is okay to be upset with the two losses we should have won.  My frustration is the people that crap on the program and say they are done supporting them.

I think 1 person stated that. 1. Not people or a group of people. 1. 

My frustration is with the actual group of people who will not push blame to the proper corners yet shit on players when the blamees are the one's pushing out the same players making the same mistakes onto the field. 6-2 is 6-2. Not bad at all, but not good enough to contend for a division in the 9th best conference in the country of 10. All luster has been lost for onlookers, for the people with 0 affiliation with this university. They have quickly looked the other way.  And deservedly so, App St, the new flavor of the week. We have a good recruiting class put together right now. Damn good actually. There are future difference makers in this class, no doubt. But do we have a clone of MF in there or on the roster? Maybe. Not probable though. This class will be coming into form on the FIELD in 2021...2020 for a select few. The #1 signal caller in our football history will be long gone by then. The window was 2018, for 2019 will have so many defensive deficiencies I don't even want to think about right now. Call me a debbie downer or a sob, don't really care. We (the play caller of this offense) have let the rope slip out of this teams hand. And the sunshine pumpers will default to 6-2 and our hopefully incoming recruiting class as if that changes what is taking place in that offensive press box on Saturday's. Is what it is. But square up the problem in your mind and at least acknowledge it. 

Side note...we should throw the ball 60 times a game here on out. No more token runs for good measure. JMO. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

1 person said they would give up support of the program. People, plural, crapped on the program. 

Yup. And believe it or not....that's common practice around the country after shitty losses. It's something I hope we get very accustom to. It means we're wallowing in success. Join the fun. 

The run plays in crucial situations are just a waste of down. If you can only call a run on fourth down just go ahead and punt. At least the opponent has to drive the field to score rather than having a chip shot from the failed run play. We have two tiny RBs who would love to have an 0 line that blocks, but they are just too small to do it by themselves. When does GH finally understand what is sooooo obvious to everyone else in the entire stadium???

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2