Take that emoji down

RiseUNT

That’s not an emoji that’s Harry.  He was hoping to post his smiley face after secretly hiding this look since la tech.  I think many of us were too.  Now it’s a full on sad face until we pound the rice this weekend.  And super happy emoji after we pay back fau in prime time!

GMG

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, RiseUNT said:

Are we not 6-2 with a road win at an SEC school?

Do we still have 4 games to play?

Do we still have the number 1 recruiting class in CUSA?

IPF?

BOWLING 3 years in a row?

I know there are few trolls on this board but I never knew there were so many crybabies who throw a pity party after a tiny bit of adversity. We have 2 losses to winning teams.

No one is trolling. But perspective from both sides does wonders. 

In our 2 losses, the combined record of the teams is 11-3. 

In our 6 wins, the combined opponent record is 16-26. 

We have beat 0 real FBS winning team for the only 2 teams with winning records are Incarnate and Liberty...both at 4-3. 

So we are taking care of business vs teams that are not very good to down right bad. And lose to teams worth a damn. 

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, RiseUNT said:

Are we not 6-2 with a road win at an SEC school?

Do we still have 4 games to play?

Do we still have the number 1 recruiting class in CUSA?

IPF?

BOWLING 3 years in a row?

I know there are few trolls on this board but I never knew there were so many crybabies who throw a pity party after a tiny bit of adversity. We have 2 losses to winning teams.

2PzE.gif

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No one is trolling. But perspective from both sides does wonders. 

In our 2 losses, the combined record of the teams is 11-3. 

In our 6 wins, the combined opponent record is 16-26. 

We have beat 0 real FBS winning team for the only 2 teams with winning records are Incarnate and Liberty...both at 4-3. 

So we are taking care of business vs teams that are not very good to down right bad. And lose to teams worth a damn. 

I couldn't agree more. We beat down losing teams and down right quit after leading against the 2 teams we lost to. 

And I'm sick of hearing we beat Arkansas and SMU. We got our season crushed by two conference teams after leading them and have zero chance at a conference championship. 17 was a far better season than 18. Pisses me off. I had such high hopes.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

38 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

I couldn't agree more. We beat down losing teams and down right quit after leading against the 2 teams we lost to. 

And I'm sick of hearing we beat Arkansas and SMU. We got our season crushed by two conference teams after leading them and have zero chance at a conference championship. 17 was a far better season than 18. Pisses me off. I had such high hopes.

The season is not crushed.

We have a bad chance of winning conference but it isn't 0.

10-2 with a bowl win is a positive season.

• Upvote 3

That is just an okay season especially if we don't get a win in a bowl game against a well known FBS team with some history of FBS level success.  I don't expect this team to win out the regular season either.  Yes it might feel good to some but it really won't propel the program forward when it comes to attendance.  I have seen that already in the early home game of Mac's team coming off the HoD Bowl.  The primary goal is to get Apogee full.  That gets recruits excited to come to your program and makes paying top dollar for your coaching staff sustainable.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I would take 10-2 with a bowl win. 

BUT, after the start to the year the lack of a championship has somehow drained a lot of my enthusiasm.  This is the problem with raised expectations.  Good problem to have, but I am still disappointed in how these two games played out.

With you.

Texas Football pod has really been pulling for us. Now I wonder if we will lose some of that statewide love and exposure.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

We have the highest paid coach and coaching staff in CUSA. 

Shh... People on GMG don't like the pay being called out.  I'm like 10+ down votes and counting on a comment in another thread about it.

In other news, I want to work for some of the folks on this board.  You can be the 3rd best of your peers, be the highest paid of a group of 10+ by $500k+, make double what the 2nd best employee makes, and people will still potentially want to pay you more... even after you've had 36 months or more on the job.

Not at all saying fire the guy... But we pay A LOT. It's not unreasonable to expect the moon and call out the investment.  Nothing wrong with being #fiscallyawaredenton. 💸💸💸

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 5

After a few days, the sting of the loss is less and we're 6-2. Far from ideal but there are goals still to accomplish. One of the things I like best about football is you can't get too upset by a play as another on is coming and you have to be ready to perform. Likewise if you spend too much time dwelling on a game that's over you won't do well in the next game. It's time to move on and reset.

And that's why I'm glad to the the emoji with a small smile on Monday.

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Shh... People on GMG don't like the pay being called out.  I'm like 10+ down votes and counting on a comment in another thread about it.

In other news, I want to work for some of the folks on this board.  You can be the 3rd best of your peers, be the highest paid of a group of 10+ by $500k+, make double what the 2nd best employee makes, and people will still potentially want to pay you more... even after you've had 36 months or more on the job.

Not at all saying fire the guy... But we pay A LOT. It's not unreasonable to expect the moon and call out the investment.  Nothing wrong with being #fiscallyawaredenton. 💸💸💸

So, what are you saying then?

UNT is paying Littrell too much?  He needs to accept a pay cut until he does <fill-in-Pavlovs-Eagle's-expectation>? 
I'm not sure what you're saying, other than complaining about the guy making the most money in C-USA, and that he doesn't deserve to be paid that much because he's lost 2 games this season.

UNT pays Littrell exactly what they think he deserves, and based on the dichotomy of past results (4+ years ago) VS recent results (past 3 seasons), I am in full-agreement with them.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

UNT is paying Littrell too much?  He needs to accept a pay cut until he does <fill-in-Pavlovs-Eagle's-expectation>? 
I'm not sure what you're saying, other than complaining about the guy making the most money in C-USA, and that he doesn't deserve to be paid that much because he's lost 2 games this season.

UNT pays Littrell exactly what they think he deserves, and based on the dichotomy of past results (4+ years ago) VS recent results (past 3 seasons), I am in full-agreement with them.

To clarify my original point, I’m just saying we as fans don’t have to settle for being happy with a better record but a worse overall result (not making it to the conference championship game, when you did last year with essentially the same team). The salaries are the reason It’s not unreasonable to have those expectations. If you are the New York Yankees and have the highest payroll in the league, you have every right to expect your team to contend for championships. When they fall short, you’re disappointed. We don’t have the disadvantages or excuses of other teams in our conference. I’ve been to Louisiana Tech as my only road CUSA game, and let me tell you our advantages don’t stop with the salaries of our coaches. Our facilities blow theirs out of the water, yet we will once again finish below them in the conference standings. I have no problem with fans raising expectations based on all those of things. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm saying we have the highest paid coach in CUSA by half a million. We have improved the program in 3 seasons, but will have technically regressed from the previous year this year. And its questionable if the AD and Board of Regents pays him this much out of skill or out overwhelming fear of losing him. 

The rubber will hit the road this year if we give him another $100k raise and a pat on the back or if we keep him at his current salary... which is the right thing to do baring some miracle where everyone in the West loses to everyone and as a result we somehow win still win CUSA West, the following CUSA Championship Game, and our bowl game.  I don't think the guy should get a nickel more next year. Don't care if TTech, Kansas, and every other school makes him an offer.  Otherwise we're the battered party who always gives more ($$$$) than we get (wins, Championships, bowl games), while the other party waits for something better (P5 job) and gets a new lake house and Mercedes in the short term.

It's clear the playcalling isn't working and his OC and DC are questionable in their ability to execute.  But I'm sure the popular consensus is we'll need ONE MORE season and ONE MORE recruiting class to find out... Which is what we said last year.  Littrell will impress me if we takes back the play calling and possibly replaces both coordinators.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

4 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

To clarify my original point, I’m just saying we as fans don’t have to settle for being happy with a better record but a worse overall result (not making it to the conference championship game, when you did last year with essentially the same team). The salaries are the reason It’s not unreasonable to have those expectations. If you are the New York Yankees and have the highest payroll in the league, you have every right to expect your team to contend for championships. When they fall short, you’re disappointed. We don’t have the disadvantages or excuses of other teams in our conference. I’ve been to Louisiana Tech as my only road CUSA game, and let me tell you our advantages don’t stop with the salaries of our coaches. Our facilities blow theirs out of the water, yet we will once again finish below them in the conference standings. I have no problem with fans raising expectations based on all those of things. 

We're still building up the culture that LATech has had the luxury of having since Skip got there.   That fanbase expects to contend every year.   We should too, now that Littrell has earned his money.    And we are contending/did contend this season.   
Is it disappointing?   Sure!  But that's not really a reason to piss on the coaches' salaries.   This is only the 2nd season of the entire coaching staff still being here (although, I wouldn't mind a salary bump for the new OL coach...). 

I think everything clicks next year.   
Last year, we didn't have the expectations, played loose, and through a little luck & a lack of give-up, we wound up in the CCG.
This year, we had all of the expectations, and couldn't handle the adversity.
The core of next year's team are the guys who are learning these lessons over the past 2 seasons.   They'll be ready.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We're still building up the culture that LATech has had the luxury of having since Skip got there.   That fanbase expects to contend every year.   We should too, now that Littrell has earned his money.    And we are contending/did contend this season.   
Is it disappointing?   Sure!  But that's not really a reason to piss on the coaches' salaries.   This is only the 2nd season of the entire coaching staff still being here (although, I wouldn't mind a salary bump for the new OL coach...). 

I think everything clicks next year.   
Last year, we didn't have the expectations, played loose, and through a little luck & a lack of give-up, we wound up in the CCG.
This year, we had all of the expectations, and couldn't handle the adversity.
The core of next year's team are the guys who are learning these lessons over the past 2 seasons.   They'll be ready.

The real question is what are we going to do to keep that culture? Who's gonna replace Mason Fine? Who's gonna replace our entire receiving corps?

What are we going to do to replace Littrell? Is Harrell the answer? I get we're recruiting better, but to replace the program's GOAT QB is a lot easier said than done.

The key here is to pump out 7-8 wins the season after, but will we be able to? Only time will tell.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I'm saying we have the highest paid coach in CUSA by half a million. We have improved the program in 3 seasons, but will have technically regressed from the previous year this year. And its questionable if the AD and Board of Regents pays him this much out of skill or out overwhelming fear of losing him. 

The rubber will hit the road this year if we give him another $100k raise and a pat on the back or if we keep him at his current salary... which is the right thing to do baring some miracle where everyone in the West loses to everyone and as a result we somehow win still win CUSA West, the following CUSA Championship Game, and our bowl game.  I don't think the guy should get a nickel more next year. Don't care if TTech, Kansas, and every other school makes him an offer.  Otherwise we're the battered party who always gives more ($$$$) than we get (wins, Championships, bowl games), while the other party waits for something better (P5 job) and gets a new lake house and Mercedes in the short term.

It's clear the playcalling isn't working and his OC and DC are questionable in their ability to execute.  But I'm sure the popular consensus is we'll need ONE MORE season and ONE MORE recruiting class to find out... Which is what we said last year.  Littrell will impress me if we takes back the play calling and possibly replaces both coordinators.

giphy.gif

I'll accept a Langston replacement.   That's about it.   

I don't recall you calling for any coordinators' jobs when we were smashing Arkansas a month ago.
Harrell is going to be a great coordinator (if he's not already there), and you're insane if you think there is an issue with what Reffett is doing.   We got beat by a superior team this weekend.  That's it.  No one needs to be fired or have playcalling taken away for it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

The real question is what are we going to do to keep that culture? Who's gonna replace Mason Fine? Who's gonna replace our entire receiving corps?

What are we going to do to replace Littrell? Is Harrell the answer? I get we're recruiting better, but to replace the program's GOAT QB is a lot easier said than done.

The key here is to pump out 7-8 wins the season after, but will we be able to? Only time will tell.

I'm definitely concerned with replacing Mason as well, but not for another season-and-a-half.   
I believe Wren can identify the right guy to replace Littrell (as of now, I don't think Harrell is that guy).  We have to cross that bridge when we get there though.   
And the receivers are rolling in.  We'll have Seniors Darden and White at WR after Guyton/Bussey/Lawrence graduate.  The first few games of the year Shorter looked pretty good before shutting it down to take his redshirt.   Ogunmakin is going to be good, and we have some ballers in this upcoming class at WR too.    With this offense, I'm not worried about WR.

The culture is set by tradition though.   Look at what the soccer ladies are doing.   They set a culture of winning a long time ago, and have constantly improved upon that culture every year.    But it's taken a long time to get where they are today (ranked).

22 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

The answer is that eventually you hope to improve recruiting to the point that WE are the team with the best offensive and defensive lines (or in the top 2-3) year in and year out.  THAT is what leads to consistent winning.  You absolutely need a very good QB to compete for conference championships, but you don't replace Mason Fine.  You build the entire team around him so that the QB doesn't have to carry the entire program on his back.

Edited by TIgreen01