Is 8 Wins/Year Littrell's Ceiling Here?

MGNation92

11 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

I love SL and think generally he’s doing a great job. 

I am, however, concerned with our ability to win big games. It’s becoming a pattern 

I also love SL and the great ride that we are on with this program.

However, I really wish that SL and Harrell would stop getting out-coached in these big games.  They'll continue to get better and better, but it's painful watching replays of these big games and seeing all of the missed opportunities with play calling. 

I think 2 of those 4th down plays would be easily converted with a simple pass into the flat to a tight-end releasing or a WR just going 2 yards and sitting.

Anyway, the arrow is pointed upward, and that is a good place to be!

Edited by ForneyGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

Does everyone have that short of a memory? Mason Fine coughs up the ball to lose the New Orleans Bowl when we were just starting to show something. Same thing happens against UAB and he losses the game. In DMNS he says losses hurt, but it is apparent after the first loss the losses come easier. Count on 2 or 3 more this year. Second half reminded me of Dodge era teams. Fine may be setting records, but I saw Steve Ramsey and he is no Steve Ramsey. Season is lost. Let our young QBs and Quinn play. Quinn is at least mobile and a threat to run. Others have height and won't have the ball batted back in their face as Fine often does. In Fine's defense he has played hurt since La Tech, but other teams know this. They blitz because they know he can't run. They force him out of the pocket where he is no threat on the sprint out. True he has heart but that won't help him grow. Time to see what the bigger QB's can do. As of now there is nothing to lose, the season ended last night.

There it is!   

Like the sun rising in the morning, you can always count on DallasGreen to have some hard-hitting comments after a loss.

...nothing to say after a win, but definitely something to say after a loss.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

Does everyone have that short of a memory? Mason Fine coughs up the ball to lose the New Orleans Bowl when we were just starting to show something. Same thing happens against UAB and he losses the game. In DMNS he says losses hurt, but it is apparent after the first loss the losses come easier. Count on 2 or 3 more this year. Second half reminded me of Dodge era teams. Fine may be setting records, but I saw Steve Ramsey and he is no Steve Ramsey. Season is lost. Let our young QBs and Quinn play. Quinn is at least mobile and a threat to run. Others have height and won't have the ball batted back in their face as Fine often does. In Fine's defense he has played hurt since La Tech, but other teams know this. They blitz because they know he can't run. They force him out of the pocket where he is no threat on the sprint out. True he has heart but that won't help him grow. Time to see what the bigger QB's can do. As of now there is nothing to lose, the season ended last night.

First of all.. Season is not lost. I would ask you to explain why you think the season is lost, but your going to elaborate on a conference championship and other stuff, that I dont care to hear about anymore. We didn't lose this game because of Fine, his fumble was one of the smaller things that contributed to a loss.

I also ask what you felt is going right? Because I can tell you that 6-2 at this point of the season is incredible. And we couldn't of become bowl eligible so early, without him at the helm. 

So everyone is okay that we are 2-2 in conference, good enough for 4th in the West? All because we are 6-2 overall?

Three goals: Win Division, Win Conference, Win Bowl.

Two of those aren't going to happen, and you're lying to yourself if you are confident in the third happening.

WE ARE FOURTH IN CUSA WEST. STOP BEING HAPPY.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, UNT Five&Dime said:

So everyone is okay that we are 2-2 in conference, good enough for 4th in the West? All because we are 6-2 overall?

Three goals: Win Division, Win Conference, Win Bowl.

Two of those aren't going to happen, and you're lying to yourself if you are confident in the third happening.

WE ARE FOURTH IN CUSA WEST. STOP BEING HAPPY.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic?
If no, we've played the 3 teams above us already, winning 1.   All those teams have already beat up on the bottom-dwellers.  Now, it's our turn.  We will not finish 4th in the West because those 3 teams above us will beat each other up.   I'm actually thinking we may wind up finishing 2nd.  Stop being grumpy.

• Upvote 1

You know what's interesting to me is that this is year 3 of the SL era at UNT. He got here right before a report came out laying out things this department had not done to truly commit to athletics (a majority on this board agreed with it, by the way). This team is 3 years removed from a blowout loss at home against FCS Portland State and a 1-11 record. You can count me in the group impressed with what SL has done in the time he's been in Denton. Get this next recruiting class locked in, a practice facility, and I think this program is set for a good run for a while. If anything, the disappointment I think many fans are feeling is a result of the product this staff has put on the field in such a short period of time.

• Upvote 2

I don't know, overall record may be more important with the bowl system being what it is.  If we were 4-4 but in first place in CUSA West I don't think our bowl prospects improve much, if at all.  I get it that we want to win conference championships, but college football is set up where conference championships really don't mean much, especially division championships.  Just ask Auburn.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

6 minutes ago, NT93 said:

I don't know, overall record may be more important with the bowl system being what it is.  If we were 4-4 but in first place in CUSA West I don't think our bowl prospects improve much, if at all.  I get it that we want to win conference championships, but college football is set up where conference championships really don't mean much, especially division championships.  Just ask Auburn.

We're pretty much guaranteed a subpar bowl game due to conference affiliation. 

Several posters on here have called my original post "stupid". To say that conference championships don't matter is the dumbest thing I've read in this entire thread.

Just now, MGNation92 said:

Several posters on here have called my original post "stupid". To say that conference championships don't matter is the dumbest thing I've read in this entire thread.

When it comes to C-USA Bowls... which is what NT93 was talking about when you quoted him, the conference championship doesn't seem to matter.
Last year's conference champion got the Boca Raton Bowl.   THE BOCA RATON BOWL!
Last year's 4th place team played in the Independence Bowl against Florida State!
So no, it does not seem to matter much, when it comes to Bowl games.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1

9 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

When it comes to C-USA Bowls... which is what NT93 was talking about when you quoted him, the conference championship doesn't seem to matter.
Last year's 4th place team played in the Independence Bowl against Florida State!

If I remember correctly FAU chose to stay home.

Doesn't the conference champion get their pick of a bowl game? If that's the case, why would we be happy with anything less? Because anything less means a bahama bowl/new mexico type bid. Win the championship game and you get to pick the best bowl for your team. Apparently Boca Raton was the best for FAU last year.

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

If I remember correctly FAU chose to stay home.

Doesn't the conference champion get their pick of a bowl game? If that's the case, why would we be happy with anything less? Because anything less means a bahama bowl/new mexico type bid. Win the championship game and you get to pick the best bowl for your team. Apparently Boca Raton was the best for FAU last year.

If I recall correctly,  the Bahamas Bowl took UAB before we played FAU for the championship.   So they may have wanted that bowl, but didn't get a chance.
And please don't get me started on picking the best bowl for your team with what happened last year & our choice of 2 bowls with time constraints on them before the desired bowl "opened up".

ok the disappoint over the loss is now behind me.  We are 6-2 we should very happy with that from out history.  Sure we want more but so does the coaching staff and the players.  Sure we have had some bad breaks in games but that is why the game is played.  I hope we can go 4-0 the rest of the way but FAU is a worry as well as UTSA at SA.  Every team has a team that gives them fits and UTSA is ours.  We look like we should beat them but anything can happen.

25 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Thank you.  I appreciate the reading comprehension skills you have that some seem to lack.

Edited by NT93

30 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Please explain the importance of Auburn's division championship last year...or ours for that matter.  

47 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic?
If no, we've played the 3 teams above us already, winning 1.   All those teams have already beat up on the bottom-dwellers.  Now, it's our turn.  We will not finish 4th in the West because those 3 teams above us will beat each other up.   I'm actually thinking we may wind up finishing 2nd.  Stop being grumpy.

After week 8 it's concluded we may end up 2nd in the West.

That doesn't make you grumpy?

19 minutes ago, NT93 said:

Please explain the importance of Auburn's division championship last year...or ours for that matter.  

I didn't say division. I said conference. You win the conference championship game, you pick your bowl. 

I guess you can't comprehend what I said.

Edit: Thanks to the Mod for correcting what I said. I crossed the line, because apparently implying someone is a moron is okay, but outwardly calling them one is not.

but college football is set up where conference championships really don't mean much, especially division championships

and my response:

To say that conference championships don't matter is the dumbest thing I've read in this entire thread.

I agree, division championships don't mean much, but tell me where I said that they did to begin with?

Edited by MGNation92

22 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Lol...the get off my lawn bunch.the bunch that will bask in 8 wins in celebratory fashion only because, "you don't know what it WAS like". Yada yada yada. W/L, the manner in which you lose to and who it is you lose to matters regardless of the end result. But we need to be fans longer for a shitty era to REALLY appreciate the "magnitude" of 6-2. Am I missing anything? 

You are missing quite a bit, but I have a feeling explaining it will fall on deaf ears.

1 hour ago, GreenTexan13 said:

First of all.. Season is not lost. I would ask you to explain why you think the season is lost, but your going to elaborate on a conference championship and other stuff, that I dont care to hear about anymore. We didn't lose this game because of Fine, his fumble was one of the smaller things that contributed to a loss.

I also ask what you felt is going right? Because I can tell you that 6-2 at this point of the season is incredible. And we couldn't of become bowl eligible so early, without him at the helm. 

He's a closet SMU fan and a shock value poster.