Is 8 Wins/Year Littrell's Ceiling Here?

MGNation92

3 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

Does everyone have that short of a memory? Mason Fine coughs up the ball to lose the New Orleans Bowl when we were just starting to show something. Same thing happens against UAB and he losses the game. In DMNS he says losses hurt, but it is apparent after the first loss the losses come easier. Count on 2 or 3 more this year. Second half reminded me of Dodge era teams. Fine may be setting records, but I saw Steve Ramsey and he is no Steve Ramsey. Season is lost. Let our young QBs and Quinn play. Quinn is at least mobile and a threat to run. Others have height and won't have the ball batted back in their face as Fine often does. In Fine's defense he has played hurt since La Tech, but other teams know this. They blitz because they know he can't run. They force him out of the pocket where he is no threat on the sprint out. True he has heart but that won't help him grow. Time to see what the bigger QB's can do. As of now there is nothing to lose, the season ended last night.

I understand where you're coming from but last night in the second half our defense repeatedly came up big and then finally folded in the 4th after being leaned on the whole game.

I completely agree the lack of running threat from the QB position is hurting us, but I don't see any scenario where replacing him makes the offense more efficient.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Good lord!

100% don’t agree.

The wins are one thing.  The culture is a whole other thing.

Look at the quality of coaches and players he’s brought in.  Look at their attitude and the classhe’s about to sign.

Coach Littrell is in only his third season as a head coach.  He’s still learning and has surpassed anything anyone ever imagined he would become at this point.

Your not  paying attention my friend.

Rick

I couldn't agree more and I don't think some people realize how big a talent deficit we were in. We have some really good players in certain positions but we have some key spots where we still need drastic improvement. The good news is I think those areas will be addressed with the 2018 and 2019 classes.

We've seen dramatic improvement in QB play, D-line play, defensive and special teams play as a whole over the last 3 years. I think this staff deserves credit for that. Its hard to see us lose winnable games and the coaches made mistakes yesterday, but its still the best time to be a NT football fan in my fandom. For the first time I can remember we have good coaches and an AD, President and BoR that actually support athletics.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, DallasGreen said:

Does everyone have that short of a memory? Mason Fine coughs up the ball to lose the New Orleans Bowl when we were just starting to show something. Same thing happens against UAB and he losses the game. In DMNS he says losses hurt, but it is apparent after the first loss the losses come easier. Count on 2 or 3 more this year. Second half reminded me of Dodge era teams. Fine may be setting records, but I saw Steve Ramsey and he is no Steve Ramsey. Season is lost. Let our young QBs and Quinn play. Quinn is at least mobile and a threat to run. Others have height and won't have the ball batted back in their face as Fine often does. In Fine's defense he has played hurt since La Tech, but other teams know this. They blitz because they know he can't run. They force him out of the pocket where he is no threat on the sprint out. True he has heart but that won't help him grow. Time to see what the bigger QB's can do. As of now there is nothing to lose, the season ended last night.

The thing you seem to miss is that Steve Ramsey had a much superior team around him than Fine does.   I am a huge Ramsey fan, but he was not close to as accurate as Fine.  

As far as blaming Fine for losses, you have to be kidding.   Giving up on the season at this point is also not only extreme, it would be reason to replace the whole athletic department.   

Shanbour is not going to play instead of Fine.   Even if Fine were injured, NT should develop a young QB who will be around a while. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

This team has a chance to win 10 games in the regular season. Still an accomplishment and improvement from the previous seasons. Seth has done what he was hired to do and that’s to be better than the previous year. This program is obviously knocking on the door of greatness, imo. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

19D91166-1BFF-4E6E-A66E-41AD63B318FA.gif

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

Shock Value or you're off your meds. 

Edited by NT93
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, DallasGreen said:

Possibly your worst post.  

You know better.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

I'm reminded of recent contentious fanbase history at Nebraska with all this talk. 

They too got "fed up" with only 8+ win seasons and let Bo Pelini go citing as such. Granted, there were some extracurriculars involved there too.

Are we already in the same mindset? Come on, ya'll.

Edited by Christopher Walker

5 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Lol...the get off my lawn bunch.the bunch that will bask in 8 wins in celebratory fashion only because, "you don't know what it WAS like". Yada yada yada. W/L, the manner in which you lose to and who it is you lose to matters regardless of the end result. But we need to be fans longer for a shitty era to REALLY appreciate the "magnitude" of 6-2. Am I missing anything? 

You probably don’t deserve an 8 Win season.  You deserve the 4 seasons in which we saw 3 wins at home...TOTAL.

73A95519-17E2-4C01-B3C6-B9C389DF2E57.png.427fea359be3b01d2df8cba0dd50a367.pngDB7C3EE4-5321-4464-BCCD-4EC13D78966B.png.978174c971d6a3259e543cc87d2c71ad.pngC651F193-960D-4480-ACF6-EBD600D137A6.png.fe9585785a8dc3c56ba01c2552aa13ed.pngE03F4E2B-BF7F-44DA-8060-56FBB144A708.png.c2784a12da3b509bbabb2adf4a07d055.png

That’s probably what you deserve.

Rick

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

I'm reminded of recent contentious fanbase history at Nebraska with all this talk. 

They too got "fed up" with only 8+ win seasons and let Bo Pelini go citing as such. Granted, there were some extracurriculars invovled there too.

Are we already in the same mindset? Come on, ya'll.

Bo Polini, hell Frank Zoluch before that, without the off the field issues

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

4 hours ago, Cerebus said:

As to the OP. Since we won more than eight last year and are going to win more than eight this year, it's probably not his ceiling.

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

So...9?

8-9, what's the difference? He's still losing the games that matter. In fact, I don't think we'll hit 10 this season. I said 8-4 at the beginning of the year and it's looking like that's a very real possibility.

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 8

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

8-9, what's the difference? He's still losing the games that matter. In fact, I don't think we'll hit 10 this season. I said 8-4 at the beginning of the year and it's looking like that's a very real possibility.

When did UNT become a program that can turn its nose up at 9 win seasons? 

Anyways, there’s very little chance we lose two more games. All the teams left are bad to mediocre. 

• Upvote 3

I like what SL is doing. I think we want more, but I knew a guy in Pittsburgh that took a North Texas DT in the first round in 1969. Everyone thought he was crazy. They didn't win much in his first few seasons, but he was changing the culture there after 40 years of losing and coaching up what he had and bringing in what he needed. Once everything was in place, that guy won 4 Superbowls in 6 years. No team in the NFL has done that again. New England was close, but they have not done it. So SL is changing the culture at UNT, coached up what he inherited, bringing in what he needs. Once it is all in place, we will see championships. Just like the Rooney's were patient with Chuck Noll, I am hoping Wren and Smatresk are patient with SL and not like us fans wanting to maybe pull the trigger on him. He is going to pay dividends for us big time. 

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

I honestly believe Seth is a great coach, but after 3 years, I'm convinced he's not elite, mainly because we never win the games we need to win. Often, in those games we are embarrassed and/or don't play well at all.

I'm not going to complain with 7-8 wins a year because its consistent success that we haven't seen in a long time, but until Littrell starts winning the MUST WIN games, I can't trust him as a coach to really hit that elite level.We should be so much better than we've shown the last 4 weeks, but we are shitting the bed again, just like the last 3 years. 

2016 - UTEP to hit 6-6(got bailed out by our APR), Army

2017 - FAU x2, Troy

2018 - LaTech, UAB, probably our bowl game this year.

I guess the silver lining is that if he keeps losing the must win games, we might hang on to him longer, but are we really going to be happy with this kind of success? I recall a conversation on the board about some people that prefer 8 wins a year type team, and others preferring the few mediocre years with a 12-1 type season. At this point are we happy with 8 wins a year? Because it looks like Littrell hits his ceiling at that point.

The only thing even about this post that isn't insanely dumb, is that at least 27 of the 32 who voted on realize how dumb it is. Good grief. 

12 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

The only thing even about this post that isn't insanely dumb, is that at least 27 of the 32 who voted on realize how dumb it is. Good grief. 

And it probably wouldn't be too difficult to identify the 5 people who liked it.  🤣🤣

• Thanks 1