Bowl Game

Sig381

There is no rule that the conference champion gets to pick their bowl.   There is an understanding that the conference will try to accommodate the winners' preference.   However, the conference's stated policy is to put teams in bowls that will draw the most attendance.   

But even that may be trumped by ESPN, who seems perfectly willing to make a horrible matchup in a bowl to set up another other bowl with the teams it wants. 

All this points to the HOD Bowl no matter if NT was conference champion or 9-3 again.   Being that is a better bowl game than any other NT could hope for unless they qualified for the playoffs, not a bad position. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Rudy said:

With the season we've had, and if we finish with 2 or 3 losses, getting paired with a MAC team or Coastal freaking Carolina would be a kick to the nuts for this program. 

I like to plan ahead and be prepared so I just ordered a steel cup from Amazon.

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

15 hours ago, Rudy said:

With the season we've had, and if we finish with 2 or 3 losses, getting paired with a MAC team or Coastal freaking Carolina would be a kick to the nuts for this program. 

I really don't think that will happen if we win 9 or more games, as I believe that we will play a B1G or Big XII team in Dallas. 

But our luck would suggest that a MAC or SBC team that nobody cares one iota about would be our opponent in a bowl game.

23 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Absolutely no chance of this. La Tech won't ever play them and uses their LA political connections to avoid playing them at all costs. This will never happen.

I think that already came up a few years ago and La Tech made it known.....they would rather stay home (which they did) then play them in a bowl.

They were 9-3 and turned down the Independence Bowl vs. Monroe and ended up staying home.

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I really don't think that will happen if we win 9 or more games, as I believe that we will play a B1G or Big XII team in Dallas. 

But our luck would suggest that a MAC or SBC team that nobody cares one iota about would be our opponent in a bowl game.

It will not matter if they don’t have enough eligible teams. 

23 hours ago, Cerebus said:

No they don't.  The bowl is owned and organized by ESPN Entertainment.  The city used to pay $400,000 a year for the bowl game to be held in the Cotton Bowl.   However, even then they didn't get to say how the bowl was being run, or who was invited.  That is the primary reason there was a huge dust up about the costs in the Dallas City Council meetings this year.  A faction decided the money would be better spent elsewhere.  They were able to cut the cities contribution significantly, from $400k to $150k a year, and the agreement only runs for two more years.

The funding cut was big enough that ESPN teams up with Impression Sports, which is a subsidiary of Fox Sports.  It's my understanding that Impression is who got ServePro on board, or otherwise this bowl might already be dead.

Here is an article last year about the bowl situation: 

USA Today: How ESPN, College Football Playoff are saving bowl games

I think ESPN Events now owns 15 bowls.  They are run by them to provide TV programs that they can sell ad space on.  The First Responders bowl is one of them.  

That math check out.

Source: New SERVPRO Bowl

Y'all , I saw a bowl projection with them playing Army again and I almost started screaming. That would be the 4th time we've played them in a 3 year span.

Anyways, I think Servpro is probably the bowl game for us in terms of building hype around the DFW area for recruits and getting fans to the game. Remember, we're in a hotbed for recruiting here, we don't need to go out of state in order to have recruits see our game. Recruits from Oklahoma can also make their way down here as well. TCU and SMU are down and may not even make a bowl game. We have a good opportunity around here to continue to build on a solid season. I remember feeling the hype in the DFW area from when they were in the HOD bowl game in 2014. Magazines were writing about us, Omni Dallas hotel put up the "Go Mean Green" lights, and we had a ton of people at the game which looked great on TV. Now if we could get a P5 school or someone like Houston (as mentioned above) that would be the ultimate goal. Main thing I'm hoping for is a postseason W (Remember we're 0-2 in the past two years in bowl games).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Philip Ferguson said:

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2018/10/24/18018696/underdog-dynasty-bowl-projections-week-9-sun-belt-conference-usa-american-athletic-conference-army

(Another) prediction for First Responders Bowl...I guess I might as well plan to be at Fair Park on 12/26

I would much rather go to Albuquerque than down the street to watch us play Miami OH (a friggin MAC also-ran, who may or may not reach bowl eligibility)...  ESPECIALLY if the opponent is Boise St.

• Lovely Take 1