Bowl Game

Sig381

Since it will take a many dominoes to fall our way for the conference championships game. let think happy thoughts. which bowl do we want? hopefully being the fourth place team in the conference at the end of the season, which bowl will we get?     

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Venson said:

I hope Independence Bowl myself. I have no desire to go to New Mexico plus I do not think as many kids pay attention to that bowl like they would Independence. I also think we would travel well to Shreveport. 

Let's slow our role on a bowl game that may not be available to our conference and passed on inviting us last season.  Reasonable expectations people.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

I'm hoping for the SERVPRO Bowl or Frisco Bowl.  If you're looking for the largest UNT crowd, these two are key.  While Shreveport is not too far and I would enjoy the trip, the casual fan will not drive 3+ hours one-way (with small children especially) for the game.  As a result, attendance will be greatly affected.  New Mexico would be the worst case scenario (out of the most likely possibilities) because of the distance and lack of bowl appeal. 

Edited by Mean Green Fan4Life
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

New Mexico Bowl is a 9.5 hour long drive.  I have to drive it to often.

Is Houston having a bad season? Bad enough to end up in the Frisco Bowl?  Is that why Cougar Queen has been absent this year or did his mom take away his computer?

CBS sports projects Houston playing Toledo in the Frisco Bowl.  It got me to thinking about the possibility of facing Houston (who is currently 6-1 on the season with games still remaining against South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulane, and Memphis). 

Toledo is currently 3-4 and would not be an attractive matchup for attendance purposes.  I don't see many fans from Ohio making the trip. A UNT and Houston matchup would be much more attractive.  

Edited by Mean Green Fan4Life

I just struggle to see them ever put UNT in Frisco.  I mean we need 35,000 seats for a local bowl and if we played Houston then you would need another 5 - 10,000 seats. Now move that to the cotton bowl and now we are talking.  The drama of such a matchup would be delicious with all the local talent, coaching ties to Texas and Oklahoma college football.  This would be a tough game but would provide a huge opportunity to match the strength that is Houston football. 

GMG

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, NM Green said:

I just struggle to see them ever put UNT in Frisco.  I mean we need 35,000 seats for a local bowl and if we played Houston then you would need another 5 - 10,000 seats. Now move that to the cotton bowl and now we are talking.  The drama of such a matchup would be delicious with all the local talent, coaching ties to Texas and Oklahoma college football.  This would be a tough game but would provide a huge opportunity to match the strength that is Houston football. 

GMG

I certainly agree with the "Frisco Bowl stadium does not not provide enough seating to accommodate fan interest" statement.  Unfortunately, bowl conference ties will not allow for a UNT versus Houston matchup in the SERVPRO bowl in Dallas. 

6 hours ago, NM Green said:

GMG

Yeah, we have an expanding campus branch in Frisco. I think our admin would want to avoid it as much as possible. Too much overlap.

• Upvote 1

It's a pretty messed up bowl system when we can finish worse in our conference than last year and end up in a better bowl vs what most would consider a more favorable opponent.  

The bowl system offers no (or very little) incentive for winning your conference.