Run vs Pass : Was it an issue in the second half?

NorthTexan95

After the La Tech loss so many on the board blamed in on us not running the ball enough.  Now after this loss so many are blaming the loss on running too much.  *sigh*

So is this a valid issue?  Let's take a look at the second half drives versus UAB.  

Second Half - First Drive:

We take the 2nd half kickoff.  The first two plays were runs for 6 and 7 yards.  Then we passed three straight plays until we had third and 3 at UAB's 43 which we ran for 1 yard.  I didn't mind running on 3rd down as long as you were determined to go for it on 4th.  I hated the run on 4th down.  Even though we had success running on this drive I didn't think we could get the needed push when they were expecting the run.   If it was me I would have passed on 3rd down and if not successful punted on 4th to pin UAB back.   

Second Half - Second Drive:

One play from the one yard line:  Fine basically sacked for a safety.  The offensive line blew the protection. I wish we had never recovered that fumble at the one.

Second Half - Third Drive:

Three passes fail to get 10 yards so we punt.

Second Half - Fourth Drive:

We start at our 25 yard line.  We run for 13, run for -1, pass for 5, run for 4, pass for 5.  It's now second and 5 a the UAB 43. We run for 4.  On 3rd and 1 we rush for no gain.  On 4th and 1 the pass is knocked down.  Ball turned over on downs.   I don't mind this sequence of play calls at all.  We could have passed on 3rd down instead.  

Second Half - Fifth Drive: 

We start at our 18 and pass, pass, pass until reaching the UAB 23.  Mason runs for 12.  Then Mason runs for 7 and fumbles.

Second Half - Sixth drive:

Except for one Mason Fine 6 yard run, we pass our way down to the UAB 27 before turning the ball over on down.  

Conclusions:

1. It's not reflected in the stats above but UAB was getting a lot more pressure on Fine in the second half.  They found some match ups against our offensive line that worked.  Passing on every play was not going to succeed like it had in the first half.

2. When did we run the ball too much in the second half?  I believe the 4th down play on the first drive of the second half was a bad call for the reasons that I state above.  The fourth drive of the second half you could say we should have passed on third and one but it's definitely debatable.  That's it.  Two plays.  If you're complaining about running too much then you're complaining about two plays.  Those two plays didn't kill us. Instead, it was was the time of possession. (see next point)

3. We had the ball for only four minutes in the 3rd quarter (FOUR MINUTES!!!).  We only had the ball for just less than 6 minutes (SIX MINUTES!!!) in the fourth quarter.  The issue in the second half is that our offense was on the field for just less ten minutes (TEN MINUTES!!!).

Just look at the third quarter.  Our three drives were:  7 plays turnover on downs, 1 play safety,  3 plays punt.   Meanwhile, UAB went 8 plays fumble (which immediately led to the safety), 8 plays touchdown, 7 plays touchdown (drive ended at the beginning of the fourth quarter).   We scored zero points while UAB scored 16.  Our offense couldn't make a play and neither could our defense.  Our offense could not get into a rhythm while our defense was worn down.   

7 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

After the La Tech loss so many on the board blamed in on us not running the ball enough.  Now after this loss so many are blaming the loss on running too much.  *sigh*

So is this a valid issue?  Let's take a look at the second half drives versus UAB.  

Second Half - First Drive:

We take the 2nd half kickoff.  The first two plays were runs for 6 and 7 yards.  Then we passed three straight plays until we had third and 3 at UAB's 43 which we ran for 1 yard.  I didn't mind running on 3rd down as long as you were determined to go for it on 4th.  I hated the run on 4th down.  Even though we had success running on this drive I didn't think we could get the needed push when they were expecting the run.   If it was me I would have passed on 3rd down and if not successful punted on 4th to pin UAB back.   

Second Half - Second Drive:

One play from the one yard line:  Fine basically sacked for a safety.  The offensive line blew the protection. I wish we had never recovered that fumble at the one.

Second Half - Third Drive:

Three passes fail to get 10 yards so we punt.

Second Half - Fourth Drive:

We start at our 25 yard line.  We run for 13, run for -1, pass for 5, run for 4, pass for 5.  It's now second and 5 a the UAB 43. We run for 4.  On 3rd and 1 we rush for no gain.  On 4th and 1 the pass is knocked down.  Ball turned over on downs.   I don't mind this sequence of play calls at all.  We could have passed on 3rd down instead.  

Second Half - Fifth Drive: 

We start at our 18 and pass, pass, pass until reaching the UAB 23.  Mason runs for 12.  Then Mason runs for 7 and fumbles.

Second Half - Sixth drive:

Except for one Mason Fine 6 yard run, we pass our way down to the UAB 27 before turning the ball over on down.  

Conclusions:

1. It's not reflected in the stats above but UAB was getting a lot more pressure on Fine in the second half.  They found some match ups against our offensive line that worked.  Passing on every play was not going to succeed like it had in the first half.

2. When did we run the ball too much in the second half?  I believe the 4th down play on the first drive of the second half was a bad call for the reasons that I state above.  The fourth drive of the second half you could say we should have passed on third and one but it's definitely debatable.  That's it.  Two plays.  If you're complaining about running too much then you're complaining about two plays.  Those two plays didn't kill us. Instead, it was was the time of possession. (see next point)

3. We had the ball for only four minutes in the 3rd quarter (FOUR MINUTES!!!).  We only had the ball for just less than 6 minutes (SIX MINUTES!!!) in the fourth quarter.  The issue in the second half is that our offense was on the field for just less ten minutes (TEN MINUTES!!!).

Just look at the third quarter.  Our three drives were:  7 plays turnover on downs, 1 play safety,  3 plays punt.   Meanwhile, UAB went 8 plays fumble (which immediately led to the safety), 8 plays touchdown, 7 plays touchdown (drive ended at the beginning of the fourth quarter).   We scored zero points while UAB scored 16.  Our offense couldn't make a play and neither could our defense.  Our offense could not get into a rhythm while our defense was worn down.   

We ran the ball too much in both games, not one. 

Our ypc suuuuujuucccmmmksssssssz.I think on the season we are in the 3's. Our run game ONLY picks up steam when the opposition is losing and deflated (so miss) or inferior opponent (liberty). We are a passing team. We cannot run block very well <------- That's being polite vs the decent teams. MF ypa is over 8. Our ypc is under 4. In situational plays, specifically on short yardage, we are predictable and horrible. In this exact scenario we have been horrible under this staff all 3 years. We have to stop running it for the sake of running it. If the defense presents itself highly vulnerable against the run, sure, pop in a token run. But this team, with this ol and rb, cannot rely on the run game for productivity vs the decent teams. We are 6-2 because of it. No doubt in my mind we should 8-0.