Peter Pan Season

UNTexas

We started great. We couldn't win when we needed to. 2017 team was better than 2018. It sucks. We will remember a punt return during a great win. Sadly, it was followed by an inability to win after a lead. Sucks. I'm sick about it.

Maybe in 19 we can compete for a CUSA west championship. I can't understand why this team decided to stop attacking with leads.  Oh well

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

To me, this season and the aspirations I had for it ended after losing to LaTech. If you can’t even repeat a division championship, it’s a regression from last season. The team and the coaches set the bar high last year, and they’ve failed to meet expectations. It’s not the end of the world or even the season but I have doubts we win our bowl game. The inability to beat a good team or even a team we should consider our equal has haunted us these last 2 years. We’ve feasted on lesser talent (and yes that includes a rebuilding Arkansas and SMU this season) and can’t answer the call in big games. Hate to say it, but I’ve already shifted my focus to basketball. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 5

Wasn’t it Lombardy who used to say defense wins championships?  

The college football magazine guru who is probably the most respected (Phil Steele)  has now come out as some kind of a prophet because he picked our favorite school to finish 3’rd in CUSA West in his giant summer edition.🙁

We just haven’t won the close ones as we did in 2017.  How we ever beat La Tech in Ruston last year with no defense still kinda’ defies logic.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, wardly said:

I think last year's team was not as good as its record, and this years team is better than its record. Last year our last minute field goals didn't hit the upright, and we didn't fumble on opponents 5 yard line with 4 minutes left in the game.We got every bounce of the ball in 2017, and just have not this year.

And coming up next will be someone helpfully explaining how you have low expectations.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wardly said:

I think last year's team was not as good as its record, and this years team is better than its record. Last year our last minute field goals didn't hit the upright, and we didn't fumble on opponents 5 yard line with 4 minutes left in the game.We got every bounce of the ball in 2017, and just have not this year.

One of the reasons that I was having trouble getting fired up for this season back in the Spring/Summer was due to how magical last season was with all of the amazing last minute finishes.  

I was afraid this year's team wouldn't be much better and that all of the breaks that we got last year wouldn't happen.  In actuality, we ARE a better team.  CUSA-W is improved and is better than the East.  We lost the LT game due to some bad decisions and a few bad executions.  We nearly beat a good UAB team (the likely CUSA champs) in their house.

I'm definitely disappointed in how this year looks to be going regarding CUSA since if we looked to have a chance to host the CC game and would have had an excellent chance to win it, but as I said in a post after the LT game... welcome to college football.  YOU DON"T ALWAYS WIN THE GAMES YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO WIN.  Don't have to look much further than this week's Top25 to see several examples of that.

My biggest fear for this season was the law of averages catching up to us after so many close wins last year.   I got downvoted and told that we weren't lucky, we were good.  Well, we were good last year, but we were also very lucky.

12 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

YOU DON"T ALWAYS WIN THE GAMES YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO WIN. 

You're exactly right, but last year we did...with some crazy, wild, and memorable finishes.

Our two losses this year have been tough because we had big leads and lost, but I'm still enjoying this season as much as I've enjoyed any season in my 25+ years of being a fan.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

This year's team would beat last year's team.

The question now is what happens to them when they don't have a conference championship to play for.  I still think they have a lot to play for, but I wonder if that is how they feel.

This is a very valid point, and one that concerns me as well.
Will our team come out as "the most excited team to play" for the remainder of the season?  I'm glad we have FAU at home.  As we just witnessed, a team that can run the ball effectively can frustrate our team. Outside of them, I think the remaining games are cakewalks.

It sucks not being able to repeat as champions of the West but we still have some goals that can be reached this year. We need to win our bowl game and if we win out, we will set a record for most wins in a season by a North Texas football team. An 11-2 season would  still look good.

On 10/21/2018 at 1:57 AM, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

To me, this season and the aspirations I had for it ended after losing to LaTech. If you can’t even repeat a division championship, it’s a regression from last season. The team and the coaches set the bar high last year, and they’ve failed to meet expectations. It’s not the end of the world or even the season but I have doubts we win our bowl game. The inability to beat a good team or even a team we should consider our equal has haunted us these last 2 years. We’ve feasted on lesser talent (and yes that includes a rebuilding Arkansas and SMU this season) and can’t answer the call in big games. Hate to say it, but I’ve already shifted my focus to basketball. 

What was your pre-season predictions for wins and losses this year?

Its time to come home from Never Never land

Ok folks, the thoughts and dreams of us winning it all are over but let's be realistic, No one had us going undefeated at the beginning of the year (Ok, There were a couple). Our two losses sucked but we have a relatively good chance of winning 9-10 games this year and finishing our year out on a high. Our recruiting class is the best in the conference and we have the best QB in CUSA and UNT History so dont worry, be happy. I for one am happy with 8 plus wins a year moving forward and watching UNT become a house hold name for years to come

Image result for peter pan gif

40 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

What was your pre-season predictions for wins and losses this year?

I had us at 8-4, finishing second behind UAB. But I also saw us losing to Arkansas, so I was way off there. I had predicted 8-4 with losses to Arky, UAB, FAU, and UTSA (since its their Super Bowl). But I think we will win at least one of those two games with FAU and UTSA, so I see us at 9-3 or 10-2 for my revised prediction at this point of the season.

IOW, its still a great season, unless we lose 3 more games. 9 or 10 win seasons are great years at every G5 program.

• Lovely Take 1