Just another bowl team

NTEX91

13 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

We aren't getting where this program needs to be based on the potential and the investments UNT has made.

1.  This is a front running sports community that doesn't faithfully support any local franchise except the Cowboys.  We cannot play around with rebooting or upstart programs get beat and maintain the momentum to make Apogee a highly desired Saturday designation

2. We need back to back CUSA Conference championships before we can say this program is on solid footing to grow into what it should be.

3.  We cannot go 1-2 against the "blue bloods" (Southern Miss, UAB, and La Tech) of the CUSA west and make this program a blue blood with them. 

4.  We had an opportunity to make things a little tougher for UAB in recruiting against us as a recently rebooted FBS program that would have yet to beat us after their rebirth.

5..  If you go to winspedia.com and compare our program & school to these younger FBS programs it will make you very upset.  We had every opportunity to keep these programs far behind us in recruiting and winning conference games. 

Look at this

WKU FBS Birth 2010 record against us 4-4

FIU FBS Birth 2004  record against us 5-3

FAU FBS Birth 2004 record against us 8-4

UTSA FBS Birth 2011 record against us 3-2

Troy FBS Birth 2001 record agains us 9-2

These younger programs should be an occasional speed bump for us and not wining the historical series.  I don't know how many recruits we are losing to these programs but I am sure it is not zero.

Umm, you act like we have been in 1A/FBS for 100 years.  We re-entered FBS in 1995, so 6 years before Troy.    We were mostly average in Southland so it’s not as if we were building from a position of strength like Troy or Appalachian State with many consistent years of winning at that level.  In many respects they had a better head start than we did.  Players at that level will frequently choose a winning FCS program over a losing FBS program.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Fair comments... Im an okay guy to work for most of the time. 😁

He has earned at least a $1m of that salary just from rebuilding the trainwreck of a team he inherited.  Maybe he earns a little bit more of that extra $425k over $1m we're paying him just because we like winning, we're a little insecure at heart, and we can't imagine not having 9 win seasons.  But the amount of people out there who would advocate to pay him up to $2m just to get to the Heart of Dallas bowl and not a Conference Championship is shocking.

Not to say WB and GBR won't figure out a way to get that payroll up even more... But you better believe they're gonna soak the season ticket holders to do it, and then tell us how we should be thanking them for the YOY season ticket price increase of 10 or 15 percent.

In this business, we pay for what we want them to do. They've been paid for what they have done.

That's just the nature of it.

55 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Not sure you or anyone else can dictate anybody's feeling.  

I assume you are stated that you are not going to accept anything but a championship program and there are no excuses.   However,  I have no idea what that means.   

Wrong.   Being having losing records against upstart and rebooting to FBS level programs isn't acceptable. Like I hinted at but did not state before I expected to maybe lose to La Tech this and maybe a tough close loss to FAU.   It not Championship or bust it beat the teams that you are expected to beat.  If this program is to get where it supposed to be you have to beat rebooting FBS programs.  You have to beat teams with they first year head coach learning his team.  You can't lose very winnable games before homecoming losing all the season momentum again and scold fans for not showing up.  They see UAB, UTSA, FAU doing more with less so it harder to get excited. 

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanMag said:

In this business, we pay for what we want them to do. They've been paid for what they have done.

That's just the nature of it.

Dang...0-2 in bowl games and 0-1 in conference champ game...That's what we're paying for? Bc I thought this HC was the highest paid with a top 2 or 3 assistant pool. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

You can't lose very winnable games before homecoming losing all the season momentum again and scold fans for not showing up.  They see UAB, UTSA, FAU doing more with less so it harder to get excited. 

Just gonna put it out there that I would bet a large sum of money there's not a single solitary fan not attending games because "UAB, UTSA, and FAU are doing more with less.".... just a hunch. #GMG

17 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Just gonna put it out there that I would bet a large sum of money there's not a single solitary fan not attending games because "UAB, UTSA, and FAU are doing more with less.".... just a hunch. #GMG

I agree because casual fans they don't have to they hear about us losing to teams they never heard of.  Smh

• Downvote 2

40 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Dang...0-2 in bowl games and 0-1 in conference champ game...That's what we're paying for? Bc I thought this HC was the highest paid with a top 2 or 3 assistant pool. 

Nope appears they we are not supposed to expect more according to some. Every excuse in the book offered.  Lack FCS success over 25 years ago is an excuse really?  I hope this "perpective" doesn't creep into the Adminstation.

• Downvote 3

22 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Utsa is doing nothing with nothing. The other 2, yes, they are doing more with less. But no one cares about these teams, not the casuals. The causal fan has no idea who is doing what with what. Not do they know the coaching salaries. All they know is that we play football. Some don't even know we're D1. I have heard people put us in the same grouping with the likes of SHSU and ACU. Hell, a lot of people still call us NTSU with no ill will intended. We have such a small window to be good when that window opens up. We are not taking advantage of it and we're gonna be sitting on our thumb spinning all wide eyed and confused when we're 4-8 in 2020. In the grand scheme of things, we are nobodies trying to poke our heads out of the pile of ash. Losses like last night delay credibility and kills momentum. 

3 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Nope appears they we are not supposed to expect more according to some. Every excuse in the book offered.  Lack FCS success over 25 years ago is an excuse really?  I hope this "perpective" doesn't creep into the Adminstation.

Being SMART enough to understand that we have a chance to go 10-2 in year 3 of a rebuilding plan that has to correct 40+ years of mediocrity and being OK with the strategic direction of the program based on that ..... is VERY VERY FAR  from accepting less.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Oh I know. Defense will be the excuses next year. And in 2020 we'll be revamping everything with a lot of new faces hoping to just be competitive. The window is open now and instead of busting through it, we're pissing in the wind out of it. 

Next year's D will be similar to 2018 D. In the Mason Fine era this year's team had/has the best team personnel in terms of talent + experience to be special. This was the year. But people will put their fingers in their ears and lalalalalalala like a 6 year old before that is admitted. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Wrong.   Being having losing records against upstart and rebooting to FBS level programs isn't acceptable. Like I hinted at but did not state before I expected to maybe lose to La Tech this and maybe a tough close loss to FAU.   It not Championship or bust it beat the teams that you are expected to beat.  If this program is to get where it supposed to be you have to beat rebooting FBS programs.  You have to beat teams with they first year head coach learning his team.  You can't lose very winnable games before homecoming losing all the season momentum again and scold fans for not showing up.  They see UAB, UTSA, FAU doing more with less so it harder to get excited. 

What has UTSA done?

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Utsa is doing nothing with nothing. The other 2, yes, they are doing more with less. But no one cares about these teams, not the casuals. The causal fan has no idea who is doing what with what. Not do they know the coaching salaries. All they know is that we play football. Some don't even know we're D1. I have heard people put us in the same grouping with the likes of SHSU and ACU. Hell, a lot of people still call us NTSU with no ill will intended. We have such a small window to be good when that window opens up. We are not taking advantage of it and we're gonna be sitting on our thumb spinning all wide eyed and confused when we're 4-8 in 2020. In the grand scheme of things, we are nobodies trying to poke our heads out of the pile of ash. Losses like last night delay credibility and kills momentum. 

That is all fine and good but I am not taking about non-alumni for the most part.   We have over 200k local Alumni and yes it makes a difference who we lose to.  If UTSA is a "nobody" then that nobody is 3-2 against us.  There are to many resources here.  

1. Largest School by far in CUSA West

2. In the center of in one most fertile recruiting area in the country and easier to bring in recruits for visits

3.  We have a larger Alumni base within 50 miles of campus than any other in CUSA West minus maybe UAB.  

4. New and improving facilities.

5. A nice city to recruit that has everything a recruit could want to access when they are not studying or practicing. 

No those things are the end all and be all.  But if UNT starts dominating this conference it isn't like our conference rivals won't have excuses related to our strengths.

Losing to these no name teams hurts

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

That is all fine and good but I am not taking about non-alumni for the most part.   We have over 200k local Alumni and yes it makes a difference who we lose to.  If UTSA is a "nobody" then that nobody is 3-2 against us.  There are to many resources here.  

1. Largest School by far in CUSA West

2. In the center of in one most fertile recruiting area in the country and easier to bring in recruits for visits

3.  We have a larger Alumni base within 50 miles of campus than any other in CUSA West minus maybe UAB.  

4. New and improving facilities.

5. A nice city to recruit that has everything a recruit could want to access when they are not studying or practicing. 

No those things are the end all and be all.  But if UNT starts dominating this conference it isn't like our conference rivals won't have excuses related to our strengths.

Losing to these no name teams hurts

Oh dude. I'm with you. You are preaching to the choir here. I'm just stating the wasted blunder that is turning into the 2018 season. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Again, we are paying for what we want. We've paid for what we've gotten.

10 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Winning record against us.  And probably better home attendance numbers.  And they have generated a following that travels better than ours.

They'd trade places with us.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NT93 said:

Enlighted us as to how UTSA (3-5) and FAU(3-4) are doing more with less this year?

FAU are defending CUSA champs and won their bowl game. Their assistant pool and head coaching salaries are both below ours. Not to mention the ass beatings we took from them last year. I would say that's more with less to date. 

I can't speak of the current state of utsa football. From afar it looks to be in rough waters. They do have a 3-2 winning record over UNT. But that doesn't paint a full picture though of the current state. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Troy FBS Birth 2001 record agains us 9-2

The great Darrell Dickey who “owned” the Sun Belt was only 1-3 against Troy.

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

We are paying to get the hell away from 1-11 and getting blown out by FCS schools. We are paying to get away from that garbage and I thing we have succeeded.

13 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Winning record against us.  And probably better home attendance numbers.  And they have generated a following that travels better than ours.

Seth is 1-1 against UTSA and should be 2-1 against them after this season.

As far as attendance, the runners most well attended game was 29k and that was against SWTSU-SM aka Bobcat U right up the road from them. After that, they’ve barely eclipsed 20k for the other two home games. They don’t travel as well as we do either, that’s ridiculous.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

What we've gotten is not what we want. And the pay is the same...

What am I missing...I feel like there's a point you're possibly trying to make. 

Of course it is not what we've wanted.

I'm questioning your point. I feel like you either want a refund or to fire the coaching staff.

What is it that you are complaining about? Being 0-2 in bowls and 0-1 in conference championships after a regular season loss to UAB? You had plenty of time between those 2 bowls and conference championship to complain about that. You are upset because we lost to UAB. Losing is shitty part of football. UAB and LaTech are 2 of the better programs in CUSA. We need to beat those better programs to be a better program.

We need to pay like we expect to beat them.

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

10 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The great Darrell Dickey who “owned” the Sun Belt was only 1-3 against Troy.

Yes and he was fired cause we expected more.  Yet we haven't distanced ourselves from Troy.  They are in a marginally worse conference and still kick our ass. So I don't point you are trying to make here.  If we wanted or was okay with being second fiddle to the likes of Troy who we had a 6 year FBS head start Dickey would survived another season.  Also we would not have gambled on Dodge or rather he might not have gambled on us.

Edited by Mike Jackson

21 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Yes and he was fired cause we expected more.  Yet we haven't distanced ourselves from Troy.  They are in a marginally worse conference and still kick our ass. So I don't point you are trying to make here.

There are not many in any conference who have distanced themselves from Troy as of late... including Nebraska, #25 LSU last year, Southern Miss, almost beat #2 Clemson 2 years ago.

We played Troy 10 months ago. Why do you bring them up after a close loss to UAB? Troy is probably super pissed off about losing to Liberty still. They probably feel something like we do right now. I wonder if they are wondering why they can't separate themselves from us? Probably not, though.

TROY 2018:

WINS:

Coastal Carolina, who beat UAB.

Georgia State

UL Monroe

Nebraska

Florida A&M

LOSSES:

Boise

Liberty

Edited by MeanMag