Littrell

Shark84

2 minutes ago, Caw Caw said:

AND NOW WE ARE ALL OVERREACTING.

Litrell and what he has accomplished in only three years. Will still make him one of the most sought after coaches in all of college football. If you think otherwise, you're lying to yourself. Frank Wilson and Lane Kiffin are the dudes who aren't moving on after this year without a doubt. And I think Seth would consider staying. His stock hasn't dropped for losing two games by less than a total of 10 points.

It's absolutely mind blowing. If this is such a crushing blow and he's a bad coach I guess you'll be happy when he moves on. There are teams hoping their third year coach is bowl eligible. If I would have asked anyone if we would have one a division title in year two, they would have laughed. Ya'll went from tortured fan base to entitled pretty quick. Seriously, if you're that upset, try the sleep on it rule and come back with logical talking points.

And if he doesn't get poached, we should consider ourselves incredibly lucky.

Didn't say he was a bad coach or that he hasn't done a fantastic job rebuilding the program. He's still learning and gonna have growing pains. Both losses were big games. I just think it takes some of the shine off. I hope he stays at least one more year. We will be one of the favorites to win the West again next year. If your defending that 4th down decision...your the delusional one!

• Upvote 1

Just now, Shark84 said:

Didn't say he was a bad coach or that he hasn't done a fantastic job rebuilding the program. He's still learning and gonna have growing pains. Both losses were big games. I just think it takes some of the shine off. I hope he stays at least one more year. We will be one of the favorites to win the West again next year. If your defending that 4th down decision...your the delusional one!

I love aggressive play calling. I think going for it on both 4th downs was the right call. I think running it on third down was actually the worse call in our current run game. Or, if we're going to run it, fine has to keep that option from time to time to keep them honest.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

I like being aggressive in the right situations but we had all of the momentum and hadn't been running the ball well. I know if we make it and go score it might be a dagger but just don't think it was worth the risk/ reward with a two score lead. Let's go beat the crap out of Rice! Go Mean Green.

• Confused 1

That was my frustration with the 3rd and 4th down calls. Our strength is the passing game their strength was the run stop. We didn’t lean on our strengths but one time out of 4.  You’ve got mason fine for Crying out loud.  Trust him to get 2 yards. 

Oh well water under bridge - I really dislike uab. They’ll probably flame out in the bowl like they did in Bahamas.  

Meanwhile we are going to reset, tailgate and set up some new markers. Only way to keep pushing through. 

gmg

• Upvote 1

I don't think those of us consider SL a bad coach....he just continues to make the same mistakes...or perhaps refine that down to GH. They are both new to there current job titles and hopefully continue to learn from there mistakes. 

And if you think SL stock is worth the same now as after the Liberty game I cry BS! When he wins the conference AND wins the following bowl I agree. I figure he wants a particular HC position and at this point in his career only a massive amount of cash can get him out of here. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Harrell has full play calling 

Thank you sir

I’m just wondering why we always go away from what’s working. Darden was slashing them inside and out and their Dline wasn’t able to get to fine with the short routes but then we go away from that. Did I miss something in the 3rd or did we completely abandon our 1st half offensive approach?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Thank you sir

I’m just wondering why we always go away from what’s working. Darden was slashing them inside and out and their Dline wasn’t able to get to fine with the short routes but then we go away from that. Did I miss something in the 3rd or did we completely abandon our 1st half offensive approach?

We abandoned what was working. Not for any given reason except for "just because." SL needs to quit the bullshit coach speak about disappointment and hip check GH to the side and call his own game. GH is garbage. Year 1, suspect but benefit of the doubt. Year 2, weirdly the same. Year 3, dude sucks. He is not a good play caller. Flat out. He doesn't do anything against the grain. If I can call out route trees and play calls from a recliner pre snap, what do you think a DC getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars is capable of. Our play calling is like reading a book, a picture book. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I think that it boils down to Graham Harrell is not ready to be an FBS O Coordinator. He was an inside receivers coach at WSU and then got thrust into the OC role. He’s too green. 

Well if he's not ready after 3 years then he's just not the guy. We aren't in week 8 of year 1. 

• Upvote 1

I understand that Littrell wants to allow his OC to call the plays because he liked the fact that all of his HC's when he was an OC did not bother him, but GH's play calling baffles me a lot of the time. Like that pass play on the 1 yard line resulting in a safety was crazy to me. With our suspect offensive line, why keep calling plays that have long developing routes. Fine has shown that he can see the field quickly so why not call plays that gets the ball out of his hand quickly to slow down their pass rush? It's as if GH doesn't trust him to get the ball out quickly to the right guy. Then two designed QB runs as we are closing in on the endzone in the closing minute. Fine is great and all, but that's why you have running backs. I don't know, but again the play calling was suspect in my opinion.

• Upvote 3

I had no problem with going for it on 4th down there. I did however not understand the play call and think it indicated a bad kind of stubbornness (the one that ignores the obvious facts in front of you).

You have the reigning league MVP and a crucial down coming up: Put the ball in his hands. Particularly when the alternative is to trust a run game that struggled all game and particularly with short yardage situations. Gotta play the numbers there and less than 5 yards quick slant, thats a completion more than 80% of the time with this QB.

UAB tried to make NT one dimensional and force them to pass underneath. Given NTs passing game, we should be ok with accepting that proposition every time. We can talk all day about how QBs need to take what the defense gives them, but the OC needs to do the same!

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

What Littrell has done here is amazing. He has been a miracle for UNT. Love that he’s here. 

But the fact remains, he’s never won a big game with something on the line. Just a fact. 

So winning against UTSA last year on the Hail Mason wasn't a big game?  If we had lost it would have been difficult to go to the title game.

• Upvote 2