All Hat No Cattle

Green P1

1 minute ago, Green P1 said:

Watching Mason run for his life against Incarnate Word should have told everyone all they needed to know.  Without an offensive line this team is gonna be lots of fun but nothing more than a coin flip against the above average CUSA defenses.  You can’t compete with what we’ve got up front.  

But it is a really nice Heisman quality hat.  

I completely agree. I know people will look to come up with a bunch of reasons why we lost to La Tech and UAB, but there’s only one real reason...our offensive line sucks. 

• Upvote 3

Mason Fine is incredible.  Without him this team is struggling to get bowl eligible.  With him we are 6-2 with two close loses.  

This team is lacking depth, or just quality at some positions, we aren't a great team, but if we can keep SL the incoming class looks great, a real difference from what we have signed in the past.

We more or less lucked into finding Fine. He is the boost we needed to sign top cusa talents, that can be program changing.

Our offensive line is the weak link. I just do not know if we will find what we need in recruiting. I also fear what we are going to lose defensively. After this season, we lose Ejiya, Garner, Brooks, Hall, Tauaalo, and Young. I think that may be too much to make up. I hope not, but the thought certainly scares me. I believe the guys we have coming in will be great players, I just don't know if they will have an impact next season. Hopefully, what we have as back ups now can replace the guys we will lose.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

Jordan Murray is going to catch a lot of flack... and he’s not good... he’s really bad... but no one on that line plays at the CUSA level.  We’re about to waste a generational talent if something doesn’t change. 

Edited by Green P1
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

Jordan Murray is going to catch a lot of flack... and he’s not good... he’s really bad... but no one on that line plays at the CUSA level.  We’re about to waste a generational talent if something doesn’t change. 

Yeah, there were a couple of what seemed like pretty conventional stunts that totally froze our o-line. I don’t get it. I don’t think the UAB d line was that good.  I don’t know. I’m just a fan. 

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Mason Fine is incredible.  Without him this team is struggling to get bowl eligible.  With him we are 6-2 with two close loses.  

This team is lacking depth, or just quality at some positions, we aren't a great team, but if we can keep SL the incoming class looks great, a real difference from what we have signed in the past.

We more or less lucked into finding Fine. He is the boost we needed to sign top cusa talents, that can be program changing.

This.

Fine is our QB because of his size, SL knowing Oklahoma high school football coaches, and seeing the QBs here that were complete hot garbage.

The OLine is something that hasn’t really improved much under SL. But we have a QB to hide it a lot. Under McCarney, his OLine was usually decent, but the QBs were the worst in the country and the playcalling was atrocious. That’s where Mason Fine makes all the difference.

• Lovely Take 1

23 minutes ago, Green P1 said:

Murray is what he is. I think Harrell needs to appreciate what his QB has in front of him and quit it with the slow boil plays downfield. We did a great job of moving the ball tonight on slants, digs, and curls. When the OC was calling plays based on longer routes, the Blazer d-line was getting to him. I understand we want to take downfield shots, but when your o line is getting rolled and you’re losing momentum, do more of the stuff that works and less of the stuff that’s riskier.

• Upvote 7

On 10/21/2018 at 12:31 AM, MeanGreenWithEnvy said:

Murray is what he is. I think Harrell needs to appreciate what his QB has in front of him and quit it with the slow boil plays downfield. We did a great job of moving the ball tonight on slants, digs, and curls. When the OC was calling plays based on longer routes, the Blazer d-line was getting to him. I understand we want to take downfield shots, but when your o line is getting rolled and you’re losing momentum, do more of the stuff that works and less of the stuff that’s riskier.

The problem was that they seemed to be able to get pressure with only 3-4 rushers - thus leaving 7-8 in coverage. Some of the short stuff was drying up.  When they had to blitz to get pressure earlier in the game, Fine picked them apart. 

• Lovely Take 1

Yeah Seth Littrell and others before him have figured this out.. Finding speedy skill positions players to run your spread air-raid offense is one thing. Not saying they are a dime a dozen in Texas, but you can certainly find them even after the big boys pick through the schools around here. The problem is finding big, tall, athletic monsters for your lines. Ones that carry their weight and height well (think Jordan Murray but not looking like they're on skates all the time). That has been the demise of quite a few good passing teams when they face more athletic competition. I agree with a previous @Harry post, we really need to see what is out there in the JuCo ranks after this season. UAB is literally all JuCo players and they looked much better on the lines. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

We lost 2 games due to a muffed punt and fumble at opponents 5 yard line. Can't lay this on O line.

The point is that it never should have come down to one play when you have a two or three score lead and are dominating.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

I’d also start looking at some scraps from P5s with this new transfer rule. Guarantee you a backup or even 3rd string at just about any P5 school would immediately be an upgrade here. 

Perception is not always reality.  A 3rd stringer anywhere is a 3rd stringer for a reason.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, 97and03 said:

The point is that it never should have come down to one play when you have a two or three score lead and are dominating.

So we lay the loses at feet of O line and not defense? We blew a two td lead against both La. Tech and UAB.Funny thing is that SAGARIN has us ranked 60th,UAB 70th, and La. Tech 89th.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, wardly said:

So we lay the loses at feet of O line and not defense? We blew a two td lead against both La. Tech and UAB.Funny thing is that SAGARIN has us ranked 60th,UAB 70th, and La. Tech 89th.

Again, pretty damned hard to stop a good team when your offense doesn’t give your D any time to rest. And when the opposing Dline can get pressure without blitzing, then yes you point a finger at the Oline.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Again, pretty damned hard to stop a good team when your offense doesn’t give your D any time to rest. And when the opposing Dline can get pressure without blitzing, then yes you point a finger at the Oline.

I was going to post the same thing, but felt unsure.  I checked the TOP for the game... I suggest you do too.  We were debunked.

I agree with the 2nd point though.  UAB’s down linemen were all they needed to make Fine uncomfortable.

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I was going to post the same thing, but felt unsure.  I checked the TOP for the game... I suggest you do too.  We were debunked.

I agree with the 2nd point though.  UAB’s down linemen were all they needed to make Fine uncomfortable.

Overall or by half? 

On 10/20/2018 at 11:02 PM, Green P1 said:

what do suggest we do then?  I am willing to bet the best players we have are playing o-line right now.  This is the card we have been dealt. We gotta do what we can.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Overall or by half? 

49 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Overall

I missed any and all conversation regarding this, but to answer your question I did a quick and dirty looking at play by play

1st half: 14:38

2nd half: 9:55

Edited by Aldo
UNT offense TOP

15 minutes ago, Aldo said:

I missed any and all conversation regarding this, but to answer your question I did a quick and dirty looking at play by play

1st half: 14:38

2nd half: 9:55

So there you have it. That would seem to back my assertion. 

• Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

So there you have it. That would seem to back my assertion. 

Well, not necessarily.   
Because the 2nd half is where they went SEC on us and just started running the ball non-stop with their OLine grinding our defense down.   We simply couldn't stop them & got gassed.
When on offense, we moved the ball somewhat, but turned it over on 4th down twice & fumbled at the 1 once.  It wasn't like we were going 3-out constantly (only one 3-out in the 2nd half) cutting the defense's breaks short.

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well, not necessarily.   
Because the 2nd half is where they went SEC on us and just started running the ball non-stop with their OLine grinding our defense down.   We simply couldn't stop them & got gassed.
When on offense, we moved the ball somewhat, but turned it over on 4th down twice & fumbled at the 1 once.  It wasn't like we were going 3-out constantly (only one 3-out in the 2nd half) cutting the defense's breaks short.

Chicken or the egg?  Did they go SEC because our D was winded?  We started out the half with a 3 minute drive (7 plays and only 33 yards).  After that the longest drive was 2:07.  After that, there was a killer stretch when the D gave up the long drive (4 min, 57 years, 8 plays) but forced the fumble. Unfortunately the safety let to another drive (8 plays, 63 yards, 3 1/2 mins). So after we failed on 4th down on that first drive, the D was off the field for only :05 of over 7 1/2 minutes - after which we did go 3 and out (1:00 min).  Guess what happened next? UAB with a 4+ minute TD drive.  

To me, that time period was where/when the D wore out.  Even after all that, the game was still not out of reach, but we failed to score in the entire 2nd half.