Oh ya UAB is easy

Big Z

Just now, UNTLifer said:

Thought you were done with this team, program, university, etc...

Said,  I wasn't spending my time & money at apogee. I'll still follow the team just not worth it anymore.  Flew out to Florida last year to watch them het smacked by FAU. I think my time and money can be spent else where.  I'll still post and hope for the best, but when we can't win big games it just isn't worth it.  Guess I just don't get using all the time and money behind a team thay hasn't won a conference championship since.....  2004(?). 

• Downvote 5

21 minutes ago, mgfan said:

Said,  I wasn't spending my time & money at apogee. I'll still follow the team just not worth it anymore.  Flew out to Florida last year to watch them het smacked by FAU. I think my time and money can be spent else where.  I'll still post and hope for the best, but when we can't win big games it just isn't worth it.  Guess I just don't get using all the time and money behind a team thay hasn't won a conference championship since.....  2004(?). 

Feel a bit like this.  I also flew to Boca last year for the massacre... and have spent lots following them for many road games this year.  

It's definitely a lot more fun when we win... but i wouldn't call good money after bad.  I'll probably still spend the cash on a UTSA trip at Thanksgiving.

• Lovely Take 1

9 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

BTW...not one person claimed UAB was ever going to be easy.  

I simply pointed out their defense was overrated...and they are, and them  getting torched tonight proves it.

Rick

I’m better now

Guess those beers and shots and that fumble in the end got me really pissed off. I just don’t understand why we have disappeared in the second half on the two losses. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, Big Z said:

I’m better now

Guess those beers and shots and that fumble in the end got me really pissed off. I just don’t understand why we have disappeared in the second half on the two losses. 

Nick Smith only running the ball 3 times might be one indicator.

You cannot win a championship if you cannot run the ball.  You just can’t.  

I cant place my finger on it...or wrap my brain around what I’ve seen time and time again,...but it just seems like every time the Leach-style air raid mentality faces a decent defense it seems to lull play callers into this odd state of mind that they suddenly have to overcome some snag by increasing the passing rate, like an addict that has to have one more hit to make it all be ok.

Its why I hate the spread and I’ve made that clear three springs ago as soon as we saw the “Tee It High & Let It Fly” motto.  

It’s fun to watch, it gets people excited, it can be affective against lesser defenses and the players love playing in it.  But often times it forgets the ground game, starts to become one dimensional and gets a wheel off into the bar ditch and the over correction lands it on the other side.

Last year’s FAU with Briles understood this.

Last year’s Troy under Neal Brown understood this.

And this year’s UAB and Clark understands this.

We dont.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, Withers940 said:

What happened to the Slant/out route offense that was thrashing the UAB secondary?

Simple, they realized they could get pressure with three and dropped everyone else into coverage.  Press everyone and those slants aren't there.  It doesn't matter that playing like that will get you killed with double moves because Fine will be running for his life before that happens.

Do you guys really think we stopped running those routes or that Fine wouldn't make those throws it they were open?!

They schemed those away and then couldn't make them pay because we couldn't protect Fine or run the ball.

3 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Simple, they realized they could get pressure with three and dropped everyone else into coverage.  Press everyone and those slants aren't there.  It doesn't matter that playing like that will get you killed with double moves because Fine will be running for his life before that happens.

Do you guys really think we stopped running those routes or that Fine wouldn't make those throws it they were open?!

They schemed those away and then couldn't make them pay because we couldn't protect Fine or run the ball.

And we didn't run the jet sweep(ish) play that had been so successful in previous games, even though we seemed to be setting it up all game.  Might have been effective against three up front?

Edited by 97and03