What the hell is wrong with CUSA refs

dmaxel

19 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

It sucks because it was 3rd and 24, but I get why they called PI. The PI that pissed me off is the one where the ball sailed 10 yards over the WR's head. Completely uncatchable. Then the non-PI when they called us for holding. Their DB completely tackled our WR. Should have been off-setting giving us another chance on 3rd down.

And then Mason's fumble...if you're going to overrule the ref who blew the play dead then you have to give UAB the ball where they recovered, which was the 1 yard line. It makes no sense to give UAB the ball where the fumble occurred.  I'm guessing this is why our coaching staff was so livid. 

I apologize for keep asking,  which was the non PI play?

And they actually blew the play down on Mason’s fumble?

Rick

21 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

If the play was blown dead you can't review anything after the whistle.  That is why the staff was mad.  If the play is already dead it doesn't matter if the ball is fumbled afterwards.  

One ref blew the play dead and another threw his fumble flag(?), not sure what the correct procedure is, but they obviously went with the ref with the better view. 

I just don't understand how UAB got the ball where the play was blown dead. If you're going to rule UAB recovered then you have to mark the ball where it was recovered. Not where the play was incorrectly blown dead. 

3 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

One ref blew the play dead and another threw his fumble flag(?), not sure what the correct procedure is, but they obviously went with the ref with the better view. 

SECTION 1. Ball in Play – Dead Ball

ARTICLE 1. Dead Ball Becomes Alive

After a dead ball is ready for play, it becomes a live ball when it is legally snapped or legally free-kicked. A ball snapped or free-kicked before it is ready for play remains dead. (A.R. 2-16-4:I) (A.R. 4-1-4:I and II) (A.R. 7-1-3:IV) (A.R. 7-1-5:I and II)

ARTICLE 2. Live Ball Becomes Dead

a) A live ball becomes a dead ball as provided in the rules, or when an official sounds his whistle (even though inadvertently), or otherwise signals the ball dead. (A.R. 4-2-1:II) (A.R. 4-2-4:I)

b) If an official sounds his whistle inadvertently or otherwise signals the ball dead during a down (Rules 4-1-3-k, 4-1-3-m and 4-1-3-n) (A.R. 4-1-2-I-V):

1. When the ball is in player possession, then the team in possession may elect to put the ball in play where declared dead or repeat the down.

2. When the ball is loose from a fumble, backward pass or illegal pass, then the team in possession may elect to put the ball in play where possession was lost or repeat the down. (Exception: Rule 12-3-3-d.)

3. During a legal forward pass or a free or scrimmage kick, then the ball is returned to the previous spot and the down repeated. (Exception: Rule 12-3-4-f.)

4. After Team B gains possession on the try or during an extra period, then the try is over or the extra-period possession series is ended.

If the whistle was correct, we never fumbled the ball.  

If it was an inadvertent whistle, we were the team in possession (before the snap) and fumbled the ball during the play, we should have been able to ask to repeat the down.  

19 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

If it was an inadvertent whistle, we were the team in possession (before the snap) and fumbled the ball during the play, we should have been able to ask to repeat the down.  

But does the NCAA have a clear recovery rule on inadvertent whistles like the NFL?

40 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I apologize for keep asking,  which was the non PI play?

And they actually blew the play down on Mason’s fumble?

Rick

I believe it was this one:
3rd & 5 at UNT 30
(4:29 - 3rd) Mason Fine pass incomplete to Kelvin Smith NORTH TEXAS Penalty, Offensive holding ( Yards) declined

Kelvin was absolutely mauled on this play.   The flag came out... oddly, it was in the offensive backfield for some reason, but I was excited we were getting the first down... and it was against Woody for holding!!   I started yelling at my TV.

6 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Could you please post the rule about a dead ball becoming a live ball, because I am pretty sure we saw a MFing zombie football.