What the hell is wrong with CUSA refs

dmaxel

I don’t understand how that play where we stripped the ball on the two wasn’t reviewed. It seemed to me at worst it was an incomplete pass because he didn’t have the ball all the way through and at best it was a stripped ball for us. But certainly not a catch for them that led to a TD. 

• Thanks 1

C-USA officials appear to have likely changed the outcome of the ODU / WKU game yesterday with an 3 consecutive untimed downs at the end of regulation and with the score tied. (1. WKU FG = NG,  2. WKU FG = NG,  3.ODU FG = Good & ODU wins). Not to say ODU couldn't have won in OT,  but WKU coaches can't complain publicly about C-USA officiating that most likely changed the outcome.

GE&H says that if Fine's non fumble wasn't reviewed illegally by C-USA officials; UNT is 7-1. 

Would love to see C-USA officials work and SEC game just to expose their ineptitude to all the P5 fans. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Travis said:

I don’t understand how that play where we stripped the ball on the two wasn’t reviewed. It seemed to me at worst it was an incomplete pass because he didn’t have the ball all the way through and at best it was a stripped ball for us. But certainly not a catch for them that led to a TD. 

Amen. It had to be incomplete at worse. Because there is no way it was controlled through the ground if it ended up in our players arms. 

Don't worry, my friends!  The league office has heard our complaints, as well as others from across the conference, and promised Wren that they would assign the best crew they could assemble for the Rice game.  A picture of three of the crew is attached below:

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bcd07bb3070795536

• Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

9 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Question:  Were the two pass interference calls on the winning drive legit?

Dave said on the one which bailed em out of the 3rd and 29 that he saw no contact on the replay. Thoughts?

Rick

The 3rd and 29 was a grey area call. Our DB impeded the wr's angle to the ball. But it was not intentional. It should have been viewed as 2 players getting tangled up, which is rarely called. I thought it was a bs call that cannot be called on 3rd & 29 unless blatant PI takes place. It reeked of a bail out call. 

First of all, we shouldn't have been in a position where a bad call costs us the game. We had more than enough opportunities but didn't capitalize on them. That applies to players on offense, defense and ST plus the coaches. 

However, yes, clearly the officiating was poor at this and many CUSA games. Before we joined the conference, I remember reading many, MANY complaints from East Carolina, Houston and UCF about the poor quality of officials. At least one Pirate fan complained often that Sun Belt officials were better than CUSA ones. Obviously, this has been an ongoing problem for a long time and through multiple conference Commissioners and multiple sets of conference members. I've no idea why there doesn't appear to be any effort at an upgrade. 

It sucks because it was 3rd and 24, but I get why they called PI. The PI that pissed me off is the one where the ball sailed 10 yards over the WR's head. Completely uncatchable. Then the non-PI when they called us for holding. Their DB completely tackled our WR. Should have been off-setting giving us another chance on 3rd down.

And then Mason's fumble...if you're going to overrule the ref who blew the play dead then you have to give UAB the ball where they recovered, which was the 1 yard line. It makes no sense to give UAB the ball where the fumble occurred.  I'm guessing this is why our coaching staff was so livid. 

• Upvote 1