Post USM Seth Littrell Radio Show

UNT 90 Grad

https://www.kntu.com/podcast/SLS-20181016.mp3

Sounds like Littrell is not happy with the post play celebration antics at all.  Apparently there is history of Ejiya and Garner goofing around a little too much.  Their coordinated action after a sack this past week drew a flag   

The celebration is at the :40 mark below:

My 16 year old son informed me this was the Gotenks maneuver from Dragonball Z:

I think Garner did another Dragonball Z celebration earlier in the year. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

14 minutes ago, Huff said:

Does anyone else remember the "grenade" celebration that our kids did after a touchdown during one of the Dickey years ?  It was really funny but drew a 15 yard penalty.....as it should have !

Yes, at the height of the rivalry with ArkSt.  I think either Awasom or Quinn got one as well for a Gorilla move that same game.  

5 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

It was right to be penalized.   It broke two of the three core values of the team:  it was neither selfless nor disciplined.

Also, if you're going to have a celebration move, do something that doesn't make you look like a couple of 5 year girls doing ballerina

3 things:

1.  I agree with the Selfless/Disciplined angle somewhat.
2.  Say it to their faces?
2.  If they continue to sack QBs in key situations, they could fully re-enact the Nutcracker for all I care.   
This is the kind of thing that keeps the team "excited to play", which, next to "reset", "dominate their ass", "all 3 phases" & "for 4 quarters" is the team's combined mantra.  Do we want to stifle the "excited to play" piece?   I don't, because that's how squeaking out games VS UTEP creeps up.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

3 things:

2.  If they continue to sack QBs in key situations, they could fully re-enact the Nutcracker for all I care.   
This is the kind of thing that keeps the team "excited to play", which, next to "reset", "dominate their ass", "all 3 phases" & "for 4 quarters" is the team's combined mantra.  Do we want to stifle the "excited to play" piece?   I don't, because that's how squeaking out games VS UTEP creeps up.

There’s a balance that needs to happen. You want your kids playing hard and having fun, but they shouldn’t need celebrations to keep the team excited.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Brings to mind a couple of things from my memory bank.  First,  James Ivy and Johnny Mata (late 60's) used to jump the line for devastating tackles and secondly, when we played Drake in the Fry era our guys would 'slam dunk' the ball over the cross bars of the goal posts.  They got a penalty for doing it a number of times and the ref told Hayden Fry that if it continued there was going to be a fight.  Fry told the ref that we would probably win the fight, too.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I agree.  There's a difference between spontaneous celebrations and choreographed celebrations.   

why?   there shouldn't be, just because one kids is excited and wasn't prepared for the situation, shouldn't merit the leeway to be able to celebrate, over the kid that prepared for the situation and had a celebration planned.

Kinds defies the logic that the rest of the sport of football strives for.  Penalize the prepared and justify the lucky.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

why?   there shouldn't be, just because one kids is excited and wasn't prepared for the situation, shouldn't merit the leeway to be able to celebrate, over the kid that prepared for the situation and had a celebration planned.

Kinds defies the logic that the rest of the sport of football strives for.  Penalize the prepared and justify the lucky.

Your logic confuses me.  So if a kid sacks a quarterback and tea bags him, is that ok?   After every first down should the offense be able to run some choreographed dance?  

If you allow kids to do whatever, they will do whatever.  It can easily get out of control.

"Penalize the prepared and justify the lucky."  What does luck have to do with on field celebrations?  

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

3 things:

And then the opponent gets 15 yards and a first down, completely negating the sack.

And it truly flies in the face of the selfless part of the core values.  These are not the only guys that have done something this year. Fine and his receivers did it, and I believe it was early in the LaTech game - which in case you didn't get the memo, we lost. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Your logic confuses me.  So if a kid sacks a quarterback and tea bags him, is that ok?   After every first down should the offense be able to run some choreographed dance?  

If you allow kids to do whatever, they will do whatever.  It can easily get out of control.

"Penalize the prepared and justify the lucky."  What does luck have to do with on field celebrations?  

I would drop the "Tea Bag" into taunting, so yes that would be a flag.  If the offense wants to waste its time doing a choreographed dance after every first down, that doesn't taunt the other team, who are we to say no.  

If a celebration is fun and doesn't include taunting then yes, i say let them do whatever they want.

Luck implies when someone that doesn't expect do something worth celebrating lucks into a spot where he can, he then impulsively celebrates.  

if a player always signals first down every time they get one, should he be penalized after the first one?  The first one could be constituted as impulsive, but the second time would show that it was definitely planned.

13 hours ago, greenminer said:

The penalty offsets the yards lost (maybe moreso?) and awards the offense an automatic first down.

I think you need to reconsider this. 

(-1 not from me)

That part was in response to NorthTexan95’s assertion that the celebration made them look like ballerinas.

Yes, please don’t spend 1.5hrs re-enacting a ballet after each sack.  That would certainly lead to mucho penalty yards! 😂

• Upvote 1

How is that celebration not the same as a double high five or running to each other pointing up and both jumping into each other? 

From memory I thought it was longer and had more moves but after seeing it again it was just a different high five. There was no taunting or excessive celebration.