Things we need

RiseUNT

9 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Official GoMeanGreen Things We Need To Do list:

• Find Ray.
  • Confirm or disprove the rumors that the Pizza Inn Nazi actually fled to South America at the end of the war.
  • Figure out how to troll UTSA about their "cannon", forever.
  • Forget about what happened in Lubbock in 2000.
  • See if we can recruit another player who can beat up an ATM.  This time also beat aTm.
  • DD vs SL Karaoke-off. 
  • Get the STSS restarted.
  • Find Cougar King someone to date.  
  • Speaking of UH, finally get them to admit that Haynes and King played almost a full decade before McVea did. 
  • Fire Johnny Jones, immediately.  
  • For board members: Figure out how to gain access to the VVIP forum.
  • For board admins: Figure out how to monetize access to the VVIP forum.
  • Get Vito that parking pass.
  • For Cerebus:  Figure out how to get every single board post into the  Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread.
  • Build a fortress around SL, financial if possible, otherwise divert the pallets from this years bonfire.  
  • For the Club level:  Better monocle polish.  
  • For Harry:  Figure out how to charge for font/color changes in posts, should cover all board hosting costs.

Am I forgetting anything?

Get UT to admit that we won in Austin my Freshman year!  That Saturday in late October will forever raise my blood pressure!  Game history shows 27-24 Texas.  But, I was there. I know that WE won!   If you're not familiar with the game I'm referencing, YouTube "1988 North Texas vs Texas Football".  The first Texas TD was not a catch because he never controlled the ball.  The last Texas score was not a TD because the receiver was out of bounds on the catch.  The real score should have been 24-10 North Texas.  

Edited by Mean Green Fan4Life
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Sad 2

I read a lot of good suggestions in this thread but maybe not the real NEED we can't control: Community buy in.  Reading the article about UAB and UNT rebuilding was the fact that the Birmingham community bought in.  When and if Denton residents start truly embracing the Mean Green as the city's team is when we could see huge things happen.  It could even make Seth become our Gary Patterson.  I am not sure just winning will make that change happen.  I am really disappointed that we have not sold out Apogee this year.   I grew up in Denton and you could barely tell that UNT played division 1 football like Texas Tech, and the other Big 12 schools.  Changing the undergraduate culture will pay off if you can keep the team perpetually competitive for decade.   That is not an easy task no matter how many advantage your program has over conference rivals.  

I believe there is a lot of ugly not well known history as to why the largest school in North Texas has not gotten even mediocre community support until recently.   Being left out of the Southwest Conference hurt tremendously and not getting in the Big 8 made the injury worse.  The Mean should have about 1,000 Denton Resident season ticket holders that don't have  connection to UNT.  I often wonder what would Denton UNT relationship look like today if they had chosen to keep the stadium more centrally located?  Imagine if Apogee was next to Welch Street or imagine if Ioof Cemetery did not exist and the stadium was there.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

The reason that more Denton residents don’t buy in is because North Texas football has had 5 winning seasons, 6 winning seasons if you include this year, in 20 years. People don’t wait around for a team to get good, they go and find another one. Yes fans should be loyal, but there is a reason you see more Warriors Jerseys and Patriots Jerseys...people want to be associated with winning, not losing. We’re playing catch up and it’s going to take at least a decade of consistent winning to build a rock solid fan base capable of selling out Apogee regardless of who the opponent is.   

GMG 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Cerebus said:

Official GoMeanGreen Things We Need To Do list:

• Find Ray.
  • Confirm or disprove the rumors that the Pizza Inn Nazi actually fled to South America at the end of the war.
  • Figure out how to troll UTSA about their "cannon", forever.
  • Forget about what happened in Lubbock in 2000.
  • See if we can recruit another player who can beat up an ATM.  This time also beat aTm.
  • DD vs SL Karaoke-off. 
  • Get the STSS restarted.
  • Find Cougar King someone to date.  
  • Speaking of UH, finally get them to admit that Haynes and King played almost a full decade before McVea did. 
  • Fire Johnny Jones, immediately.  
  • For board members: Figure out how to gain access to the VVIP forum.
  • For board admins: Figure out how to monetize access to the VVIP forum.
  • Get Vito that parking pass.
  • For Cerebus:  Figure out how to get every single board post into the  Seth Littrell Rumors Mega Thread.
  • Build a fortress around SL, financial if possible, otherwise divert the pallets from this years bonfire.  
  • For the Club level:  Better monocle polish.  
  • For Harry:  Figure out how to charge for font/color changes in posts, should cover all board hosting costs.

Am I forgetting anything?

we're about halfway there

x6iFLbZ.jpg

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I read a lot of good suggestions in this thread but maybe not the real NEED we can't control: Community buy in.  Reading the article about UAB and UNT rebuilding was the fact that the Birmingham community bought in.  When and if Denton residents start truly embracing the Mean Green as the city's team is when we could see huge things happen.  It could even make Seth become our Gary Patterson.  I am not sure just winning will make that change happen.  I am really disappointed that we have not sold out Apogee this year.   I grew up in Denton and you could barely tell that UNT played division 1 football like Texas Tech, and the other Big 12 schools.  Changing the undergraduate culture will pay off if you can keep the team perpetually competitive for decade.   That is not an easy task no matter how many advantage your program has over conference rivals.  

I believe there is a lot of ugly not well known history as to why the largest school in North Texas has not gotten even mediocre community support until recently.   Being left out of the Southwest Conference hurt tremendously and not getting in the Big 8 made the injury worse.  The Mean should have about 1,000 Denton Resident season ticket holders that don't have  connection to UNT.  I often wonder what would Denton UNT relationship look like today if they had chosen to keep the stadium more centrally located?  Imagine if Apogee was next to Welch Street or imagine if Ioof Cemetery did not exist and the stadium was there.

I 100 % agree, but I also would tell you that Denton’s is night and day from my first year at UNT (2008). We definitely want the level of buy-in from Denton that TCU gets from Fort Worth tho. 

Hell, I moved away from Denton in 2014, and back this year, and the level of investment Denton has in UNT is pretty striking even from then, and that was in the off-season after the 2013 bowl win. If we have a consistently winning program, Denton will continue to line up behind UNT. 

On the subject of Denton buy-in, we should offer a discounted ticket to TWU students/staff in the name of Denton unity. 

They don’t have an equivalent program, there’s clearly no conflict of interest in coming out and supporting our team in the name of Denton when it doesn’t undermine support for their own team/school. 

We see it all the time in pro sports, where the baseball team will promote the same town’s Football team, or vice versa. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't buy that the city of Denton hasn't bought in (sure, there could be more). If you factor in season tickets and sponsorship revenue from Denton businesses/residents with owners who have no real tie to UNT except for living/working in Denton, I bet you'd be surprised how much Denton money is flowing into UNT even though those ties don't exist. I can think of several lawyers and other Denton business owners who buy club seats even (and not the cheap ones) with ties to UT, A&M, SMU, etc.

I think the biggest issue for UNT is the 100K alums in DFW who aren't making the trek to Denton on game days.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

12 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

The reason that more Denton residents don’t buy in is because North Texas football has had 5 winning seasons, 6 winning seasons if you include this year, in 20 years. People don’t wait around for a team to get good, they go and find another one. Yes fans should be loyal, but there is a reason you see more Warriors Jerseys and Patriots Jerseys...people want to be associated with winning, not losing. We’re playing catch up and it’s going to take at least a decade of consistent winning to build a rock solid fan base capable of selling out Apogee regardless of who the opponent is.   

GMG 

I used to believe this, but if you look back to the Odus Mitchell era when we had Ramsey/Greene/Hardeman/Shanklin/etc... on the field and playing well, Denton wasn't really there.  I think I see more engagement now than ever, and with continued success this should remain on an upward path.

I do agree with @DentonLurker regarding the area alumni.  North Texas did a terrible job of keeping up with their alumni, fundraising, etc... forever.

• Thanks 1

The athletic program should have some sort of, for lack of a better word, indoctrination program in all the schools in the DISD starting with elementary school through High School.  Free tickets to elementary school kids means the parents have to take them, they pay and get introduced to our product in addition to the new young fans.  Give free t-shirts to the kids.  Have Scrappy, the cheerleaders and athletes going to the schools.  I know there are student athlete volunteer programs (reading, etc) that are well participated, but there are so many things we could do but haven't.  Mean Green t-shirts given away to students by local sponsors.  Prizes to the schools with the most participation, it is limitless.

1 minute ago, Cooke County Kid said:

The athletic program should have some sort of, for lack of a better word, indoctrination program in all the schools in the DISD starting with elementary school through High School.  Free tickets to elementary school kids means the parents have to take them, they pay and get introduced to our product in addition to the new young fans.  Give free t-shirts to the kids.  Have Scrappy, the cheerleaders and athletes going to the schools.  I know there are student athlete volunteer programs (reading, etc) that are well participated, but there are so many things we could do but haven't.  Mean Green t-shirts given away to students by local sponsors.  Prizes to the schools with the most participation, it is limitless.

I've seen them do literally everything you mentioned in the last 5 years or so, even before this AD. They're trying. At the end of the day, there's no magic bullet. The magicest bullet is winning consistently. Things are certainly trending up. Just keep winning.

• Upvote 2

On 10/17/2018 at 11:22 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

- Repair Grey Goose fountain in Athletic Department, or put it on Craigslist.
 - Welfare check on Tina Yothers.
 - Figure out how to get Portland State's USDE/CHEA accreditations revoked so they can no longer be a real thing & we can erase that blip in history.
 - Purchase "pageantry" & bequeath as a gift to Green Brigade.

- We need Info, for questions.

- Build up the Mexian fan base

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

On 10/16/2018 at 11:46 PM, Felozano said:

Yes, but one week at a time. We need to win this week. Then we can worry about the following week.  I love being a fan, too, but it’s more fun to stay in the moment.  We can be really good, but only when the focus is right. Let’s do this! #BEATUAB

Your not on the team. One week at the time applies to them. Not us fans. Doesn't matter what game or possibly we talk about. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1