North Texas' depth chart ahead of UAB

Philip Ferguson

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/ContentGallery/North-Texas-Mean-Green-depth-chart-ahead-of-UAB-Blazers-123416318/#123416318_1

This is the one I went to first...

CORNERBACKS

CB1: Nate Brooks CB2: Jordan Roberts

CB1: Cam Johnson OR Jordan Roberts OR Kemon Hall

Nickel CB1: Tyreke Davis OR Jameel Moore

Davis was second on the team with ten tackles on Saturday, meanwhile Cam Johnson started his second game and held up fairly well, not giving up too many big plays. This unit will be tested against a physical UAB team, but Erdly and the receivers have had plenty of explosive plays to keep an eye out for.

• Upvote 4

UAB Starting front from: https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/uab/92177

Maybe none of these guys are too athletic/fast for JM to handle.  Not sure who was supposed to block QT(#41) in their last game against us.   Wow, 6'8" JGW(#99) is a tall one!  Could be an issue for MF passing??

DT 41 Quindarius Thagard  6'4" 285

AS A JUNIOR (2017):
Played in 12 games and made four starts… Finished the season with 24 tackles (12 assisted, 12 unassisted)…Recorded two tackles, one for loss, against Alabama A&M (9/2)…Made four tackles at Ball State (9/9)…Earned a season high five tackles against North Texas (9/23).

DT 2 Garrett Marino 6'2" 285

AS A SOPHOMORE (2017):
C-USA All Conference Honorable Mention…Finished the season with 33 tackles (21 unassisted, 12 assisted)…Had 8.0 TFL…Season high five tackles in UAB’s season opening win over Alabama A&M (9/2)…Four tackles and a fumble recovery against UTSA (11/11)…Had PBUs in three straight games (10/28, 11/4 and 11/11)…Appeared in all 13 games with starts in the final six games

NT 47 Anthony Rush 6'5" 340

AS A JUNIOR (2017):
Played in all 13 games with four starts… Finished the season with 34 tackles (17 unassisted, 17 assisted) and nine TFL…Returned an interception 27 yards for a touchdown against Alabama A&M (9/2)…Had a career-best seven tackles in the Bahamas Bowl vs. Ohio…Posted six tackles against Ball State (9/9).

JACK 99 Jamell Garcia-Williams 6'8" 245

AS A JUNIOR (2017):
Appeared in eight games for UAB primarily on special teams and as a reserve defensive end.

30 minutes ago, American_Patriot said:

Receivers were plenty open!!! QB did not commit to his first look and decided on a secondary approach. Time to give credit to where it's due... Receivers are calling for the ball, but once the QB BAILS... routes no longer exist.

I was noticing this as well.  There were quite a few plays where I t seemed Mason was checking all the way down to his RBs rather quickly, then staying with them even if they weren’t his best read, only gaining minimal yardage.  

I don’t know if he goes back through his reads a 2nd time?

There were also a few plays that broke down & you could see Mason telling his receivers where he wanted them, but they ran somewhere else putting themselves into coverage, so he couldn’t get it to them.

Plenty of blame to go around.  That was a very tough defense last week.  I’m glad our D showed up as well.

I think the offense will do much better this time.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Plenty of blame to go around.  That was a very tough defense last week.  I’m glad our D showed up as well.

You think the offense will do better against a statistically better defense? Interesting

22 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

You think the offense will do better against a statistically better defense? Interesting

I believe the USM defense was ranked higher last week than UAB's.
USM drew our offense - Unlucky for them - and gave up 30pts.
UAB drew Rice's offense  -  Lucky for them - and goose-egged them.
The statistics changed.
I hope UAB feels really great about their defensive performance last week, because a hot buzzsaw is coming their way.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I believe the USM defense was ranked higher last week than UAB's.
USM drew our offense - Unlucky for them - and gave up 30pts.
UAB drew Rice's offense  -  Lucky for them - and goose-egged them.
The statistics changed.
I hope UAB feels really great about their defensive performance last week, because a hot buzzsaw is coming their way.

Buzzsaw? Sure. Hot Buzzsaw? Maybe the team that came out against SMU, but not the current one.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I was noticing this as well.  There were quite a few plays where I t seemed Mason was checking all the way down to his RBs rather quickly, then staying with them even if they weren’t his best read, only gaining minimal yardage.  

I don’t know if he goes back through his reads a 2nd time?

There were also a few plays that broke down & you could see Mason telling his receivers where he wanted them, but they ran somewhere else putting themselves into coverage, so he couldn’t get it to them.

Do NOT question the performance of this QB. People will post his statistics and try to vilify you as the devil himself. 

But I agree. Either the drops or the phantom pressure (yes sometimes real pressure) are getting to MF. Over the last 3 or 4 games he is quick to look off a receiver, specifically longer routes, and go the way of underneath crossing patterns or dump offs. Something is going on. I have no idea what, but something. He has to trust his OL and WR and stand tall and sling it. Then he needs to live with the results. He can't be afraid to make mistakes, which may be another part of the equation. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Do NOT question the performance of this QB. People will post his statistics and try to vilify you as the devil himself. 

But I agree. Either the drops or the phantom pressure (yes sometimes real pressure) are getting to MF. Over the last 3 or 4 games he is quick to look off a receiver, specifically longer routes, and go the way of underneath crossing patterns or dump offs. Something is going on. I have no idea what, but something. He has to trust his OL and WR and stand tall and sling it. Then he needs to live with the results. He can't be afraid to make mistakes, which may be another part of the equation. 

Haha.   I do believe I did that to you yesterday!
The results speak for themselves.   Just because he's possibly giving up some opportunities (a very minor critique from me), doesn't mean he's still not getting the job done, protecting the ball & moving the chains.

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Haha.   I do believe I did that to you yesterday!
The results speak for themselves.   Just because he's possibly giving up some opportunities (a very minor critique from me), doesn't mean he's still not getting the job done, protecting the ball & moving the chains.

Those opportunities can be the difference of winning and losing. And it's most certainly the difference in letting inferior opponents linger around and gain confidence. 

7 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Those opportunities can be the difference of winning and losing. And it's most certainly the difference in letting inferior opponents linger around and gain confidence. 

So you pointing out the guy who gets it right 99% of the time, instead of the people messing up 20% of the time?  Why stop on the field? Can't we blame Mason Fine for the parking problems last week?  The veggie lasagna in the club level?  The fact that our hat selection in the team store is abysmal?  

I think we can all agree that if Mason Fine can't get 4000 new MGSF members signed up by the next home game he should be fired.  Out of Boomer.  Into the sun.  

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

So you pointing out the guy who gets it right 99% of the time, instead of the people messing up 20% of the time?  Why stop on the field? Can't we blame Mason Fine for the parking problems last week?  The veggie lasagna in the club level?  The fact that our hat selection in the team store is abysmal?  

I think we can all agree that if Mason Fine can't get 4000 new MGSF members signed up by the next home game he should be fired.  Out of Boomer.  Into the sun.  

Well...Can we agree there is something going on with the offense? And if we can, what is your expert insight on our issues? If we can't agree, you're just pumping rainbows and butterflies. 

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Well, you can stop with the personal critiques and leave it to the questions if you'd like...

Ben:  If you don't agree with me then you are obviously a sunshine pumper.

Also Ben:  But pointing out that I just personally critiqued everyone who disagrees with me is a personal critique on me, and therefor bad.  

• Harry locked this topic