DRC: UNT releases ticket, donor figures

Brett Vito

2 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

There must be a lot of season tickets that don't require a donation.  That's an increase in season tickets of about 2,140 and an increase in donors of about 216.  I doubt each new donor averages ten season tickets per. 

Yep.  There are plenty of seats in my section too.   
So hopefully, the people who are buying season tickets & not paying any kind of donation this season will consider bumping up next season to support the program even more & moving up to a nicer section.  We'll see.

• Lovely Take 1

36 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

If they wanted an immediate bump they would require the entry level MGSF level for all home side seats. That might cover another thousand members and bring in 25000 extra dollars. 

I like the idea but maybe build a bigger parking lot home side? 

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

If they wanted an immediate bump they would require the entry level MGSF level for all home side seats. That might cover another thousand members and bring in 25000 extra dollars.

I don't really think we're there yet. If anything, I think you just drive those ticket buyers around the corner to the endzone seats. Let's sell out the current donor seats before we start expanding the donor sections, and then I'm all for it.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

I dislike that idea on the basis that I have also really cherished UNT’s culture of accessibility and inclusiveness, and that seems to fly in the face of both. I doubt there is a huge overlap in people that would be upset that they had to sit in the wing or the away side because they aren’t MGSF, but I bet there would be some, and principle matters. 

The world is full of enough colleges where you have to be part of a special club to get access to stuff. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, UNTDoubleAlum said:

I dislike that idea on the basis that I have also really cherished UNT’s culture of accessibility and inclusiveness, and that seems to fly in the face of both. I doubt there is a huge overlap in people that would be upset that they had to sit in the wing or the away side because they aren’t MGSF, but I bet there would be some, and principle matters. 

The world is full of enough colleges where you have to be part of a special club to get access to stuff. 

It’s about maximizing revenue to maximize resources to have a better chance at moving up and being successful. 

Edit:  also, the entry level is only $25. Not a huge amount of money, but still gives a purchaser an extra step of investment in the program. 

Edited by Mean Green Matt
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

I like that fans can get a taste of sitting on the sideline without having to be a MGSF donor. Those become clients who you can call and talk to about upgrading and moving over. To me, that's the conversation that would grow loyalty and make fans feel important versus just doing a money grab to get an extra 25 bucks. There are a ton of seats available in already-existing donor sections. Let's sell those and then we can talk about expanding donor sections. That side of the stadium already consistently struggles with sales. Why make it more expensive? And just because 25 bucks is not a big deal to you doesn't mean it's not a big deal to someone.

• Upvote 5

21 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

It’s about maximizing revenue to maximize resources to have a better chance at moving up and being successful. 

Edit:  also, the entry level is only $25. Not a huge amount of money, but still gives a purchaser an extra step of investment in the program. 

You’re right. I don’t think the buy-in is ridiculous, or out of reach for even an average UNT fan. 

But I’d rather our stadium feel like a communal coming together of UNT fans of all stripes, rather than making our seating into an even more stratified thing. 

For me, all of this comes from how I feel about my other alma mater, Texas A&M. Everything feels really corporate recently, and I don’t like the feel of it. 

Edited by UNTDoubleAlum
  • Upvote 1

Our set up for tailgating and parking is nice.  The casual fan has to walk over I-35 or buy a parking pass, season ticket holders get the parking pass.  The Hill for tailgating, in particular college students is pretty sweet.  The recently expanded alumni facility is nice as well.  I love our stadium Apogee is a very nice facility and will only get better as will all of the above.  The solution to most of our problems is to WIN GAMES and do it consistently.  UNT football game will become an event, you will want to be there,  of course so will your friends. We will grow our donors as we are currently doing, Wren is just what we needed when we needed it the most.  Coach Littrell and staff and players are the best.  Onwards and upwards.

WIN GAMES!!!!!!!

BEAT uab

GO MEAN GREEN!!!!!!! 

• Lovely Take 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aldo said:

I like the idea but maybe build a bigger parking lot home side? 

3 hours ago, UNTDoubleAlum said:

The minimum is $25 dollars if I recall correctly.  I think that is reasonable to require for home side season tickets. I would not advocate a donation for the end zone seats as that is often entry level or family seats.

There are no parking benefits at that level - the benefit would be ability to purchase non-premium home side seats. Those wanting parking could pay as they go or up the donation to the appropriate level.  

I feel like those that could not afford the extra $25 are likely already sitting elsewhere, hence my hesitation in requiring anything extra there. 

We need to bring in every dollar we can. More importantly, requiring a small donation establishes a pattern of giving. If someone becomes accustomed to donating to the university they are more likely to donate more when they can afford it. It becomes habitual.

Many organizations take this approach. For example, several years ago George Mason sent a letter asking 100,000 alumni to each donate $10 in order to raise $1,000,000 in new donations.

We must increase our donor base dramatically, even if many in that base are lower level donors. 

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

46% increase in season tickets is a big step in the right direction, even if not all of them are donors. Repeat that increase once more while having a good season, and occasional sell-outs are a given. repeat it twice and the season doesn't even have to be that good to get occasional sell-outs.

Once you start selling out many good things will happen due to that. If you do it right you start getting a virtuous circle.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

There must be a lot of season tickets that don't require a donation.  That's an increase in season tickets of about 2,140 and an increase in donors of about 216.  I doubt each new donor averages ten season tickets per. 

On the flip side, I am a donor that chose not to buy season tickets.  I live 5 hours from Denton and have only been able to come in for one game this year due to family commitments.  I buy tickets when I can come, but I also know some that bought season tickets that are tail section/general admission that don't require a donation.  If our crowds continue to trend to the upper 20k's/lower 30k's, these people will get tired of looking for a seat and spend a little more to have one reserved.

• Upvote 3

Why have an empty box, club level seats or reserved seating? If the Box is empty offer to some people in club, if the club has seating offer to people in reserved, and reserved offer to general admission. This could be done at the start of the game with no additional charge. Shock people! Also there should never be empty court side BB seats!

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Why have an empty box, club level seats or reserved seating? If the Box is empty offer to some people in club, if the club has seating offer to people in reserved, and reserved offer to general admission. This could be done at the start of the game with no additional charge. Shock people! Also there should never be empty court side BB seats!

Getting into the club requires stadium donation of several thousand dollars, a significant MGC donation every year, and the expensive tickets themselves.  Why would anyone pay for that if they can get the exact same benefit for the cost a reserved ticket?

Valuation is a thing.  If you lower the value of something why would anyone pay a premium for it.  

20 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Getting into the club requires stadium donation of several thousand dollars, a significant MGC donation every year, and the expensive tickets themselves.  Why would anyone pay for that if they can get the exact same benefit for the cost a reserved ticket?

Valuation is a thing.  If you lower the value of something why would anyone pay a premium for it.  

This is just a spot deal per game! Maybe a good donor sits in the reserved, if the seats are empty give them to him and maybe next year he joins the club. What do you do about GA sitting in reserved because seats are available?

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

This is just a spot deal per game! Maybe a good donor sits in the reserved, if the seats are empty give them to him and maybe next year he joins the club. What do you do about GA sitting in reserved because seats are available?

We have secret and scared stuff going on the the club, we can’t have the wretched masses stumbling in on that, they couldn’t handle it.  It’s best they stay down below. 🙂

• Haha 3