UAB Vid Highlights from La.Tech and Rice win

Harry

• Harry featured this topic
6 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

not much to learn here, other than La Tech had a complete defensive breakdown on that first TD, someone got confused on the call to leave that entire side of the field that wide open

Here's what I see,  UAB looks very balanced in that they can run the ball effectively with RB Spencer Brown (6-0, 220) behind a big o-line, their QB is accurate but also a BIG threat to run the ball and they have a big time WR Xavier Ubosi (6-3 and can run).  Not many defensive highlights but them holding La. Tech to 7 points is pretty telling.  Against Rice their special teams shined.

When look at our Tech game with the turn overs and penalties it is amazing we still should of won that game. Hope we can get the run game going and have some quick passes, because they will be putting the heat on Fine. Blitz up the middle and have the DE contain seems to be the game plan. GMG

• Upvote 2

Cam Johson better tackle better then he did last week and I hope he can cover better because they will come after him.  Nice if Hall returns this week.  When that QB runs we need to hit him hard.  His runs seem like he goes untouched.  Surprised they don't pas more there qb seems pretty accurate on this throws.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

not much to learn here, other than La Tech had a complete defensive breakdown on that first TD, someone got confused on the call to leave that entire side of the field that wide open

We learned that lesson during out UTEP game when our defensive back fell down.  Not having a defensive player withing 10 yards of a receiver is usually not a good idea. 

• Upvote 2

Regarding Hall, this may not be the best game for him to come back given UAB’s run game.  The injury looked like perhaps his back or shoulder.  Either would be tough to come back from and immediately have to tackle a big RB on the edge. Would be easier against someone like SoMess that passes a ton. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Harry said:

Here's what I see,  UAB looks very balanced in that they can run the ball effectively with RB Spencer Brown (6-0, 220) behind a big o-line, their QB is accurate but also a BIG threat to run the ball and they have a big time WR Xavier Ubosi (6-3 and can run).  Not many defensive highlights but them holding La. Tech to 7 points is pretty telling.  Against Rice their special teams shined.

I was looking through Erdely's game by game stats and he is really not that accurate of a passer. His Season completion percentage is sitting at 56.5% (99th nationally)  if ESPN stats are right. He had 33.3% vs La Tech two other games in the mid 40's. If we can contain the run and Erdely and force him to throw, it should work to our benefit. We will see though

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Withers940 said:

I was looking through Erdely's game by game stats and he is really not that accurate of a passer. His Season completion percentage is sitting at 56.5% (99th nationally)  if ESPN stats are right. He had 33.3% vs La Tech two other games in the mid 40's. If we can contain the run and Erdely and force him to throw, it should work to our benefit. We will see though

I would bet we sell out against the run and give them single coverage, even without Hall.  The same look should also manage to get pressure on the QB should they dare to pass. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Erdely is not terribly impressive to me.  He manages the game well, but he is not the player that beats us.  Their big WR, Ubosi, is my main worry.  As was noted above, but Brooks on Ubosi, press the other side and sell out to stop the run by funneling everyone to EJ and Garner.

• Lovely Take 2

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

My advanced idiots-guide-to-football opinion on UAB: nothing fancy or exceptional about their skill positions, just very very physical on the OL.

I want Bryce English to have a coming out party in their backfield.

Ha!  Same here. I know what I know...not much.  BUT...Garner, King, and Ejiya is Bryce’s (and co) coming out party!  

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 97and03 said:

I would bet we sell out against the run and give them single coverage, even without Hall.  The same look should also manage to get pressure on the QB should they dare to pass. 

Agreed and I hope we are successful at this. I bet we give up a big play but everything else is kept in front of us on the defense.

As long as the defense sticks to their alignments we should be good

• Ray 1