To say UAB is a juco/transfer laden program is an understatement

Harry

I just went through their online roster and expected to see a high level of juco transfers but holy cow, this may be the most transfer laden program we have ever played.   I counted 60 players on their active roster who are either juco or 4-year college transfers.   Poor Rice with their high academic standards must have felt like they were playing an NFL team last weekend!   I list the transfer or juco/community college for each transfer player listed on their official roster below.

Arizona
Iowa Western CC
Montana State
Trinity Valley JC
Arkansas Baptist
Ole Miss
Copiah Lincoln CC
Dodge City CC
LA Pierce CC
Louisville
Galivan CC
Tyler JC
Miss Gulf Coast
Buffalo
Tyler JC
Fresno City CC
Fullerton CC
Indiana
Cisco JC
Iowa Western CC
Chaffey CC
Scottsdale CC
Troy
Fresno City CC
Jacksonville State
Alabama A&M
Arkansas State
Itawamba CC
Hutchison CC
Butler CC
Jones County CC
Northeast Miss CC
Auburn
Miss Valley State CC
San Francisco CC
East Mississippi CC
Navarro JC
Glenville State CC
Jones County CC
Alabama A&M
Trinity Valley JC
Iowa Western JC
University of Cumberlands
Miss Gulf Coast CC
Western Kentucky
Northland C&T College
Miss Gulf Coast CC
Orange Coast CC
Univ of West Alabama
Fullerton CC
Scottsdale CC
Samford
Wyoming/Mesa JC
Iowa Western CC
North East Miss CC
Blinn JC
USF
Coffeyville CC
Iowa Western CC
Copiah Lincoln CC
Eastern Arizona CC

• Harry featured this topic
1 minute ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Do most of these guys graduate this year?  

It does look like they lose a lot.  They have 30 redshirt seniors and 5 regular seniors for a total of 35.  12 redshirt juniors, 9 juniors, 22 redshirt sophomores, 9 sophomores, 10 redshirt freshmen and 21 freshmen.

Nothing about UAB scares me. They want to ball control with their running game, just like last year. We slowed their run game down in Apogee last year and our secondary did what they do last year...give up big play after big play to let them linger around like a wet fart. 

If we lose this game it will be because our D doesn't show up paired with both our offense continuing its stagnant play as well as us losing the turnover battle. This is how we lose. Not saying it can't happen, I just don't see it happening.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

To put this into context, we have 34 on our roster (roughly half) by my count:

Austin Aune - Arkansas transfer

Tim Faison - Independence CC

Anthony Wyche LA Valley CC

Jalen Guyton Notre Dame/Trinity Valley

Quenien Jackson DuPage

DeAndre Torrey  Miss Gulf Coast

Kemon Hall Itawamba CC

Keegan Brewer Kansas

Chris Jackson Hadrin Simmons

Quinn Shanbour OSU

Josh Adebayo Howard

EJ Ejiya North Dakota SCS

Loren Easly SFA

Cole Hedlund Arkansas

Dennis Smith Sterling College

Bryce English K-State

Jack Giblin UTSA

Alvin Kensworthy Kilgore JC

Mike Linehan Idaho

Christian Hosely Howard Payne

Chaz Davis Midwestern State

Jamie King College of the Desert

Darrian McMillian Butler CC

Sam Lucas Blinn

Sosaia Mose Tyler JC

Ted Fausak De Anza College

Chad Hickson Panhandle State

Jevin Pahinui College of the Siskiyous

Thomas Preston Scottsdale CC

Riley Mayfield Abilene Christian

Cudjoe Young Scottsdale CC

Tuluaa Saafi Mount San Antonio

Caleb Colvin NEO CC

Nicholas Pichon Texas Lutheran

10 hours ago, Harry said:

I just went through their online roster and expected to see a high level of juco transfers but holy cow, this may be the most transfer laden program we have ever played.   I counted 60 players on their active roster who are either juco or 4-year college transfers.   Poor Rice with their high academic standards must have felt like they were playing an NFL team last weekend!   I list the transfer or juco/community college for each transfer player listed on their official roster below.

Arizona
Iowa Western CC
Montana State
Trinity Valley JC
Arkansas Baptist
Ole Miss
Copiah Lincoln CC
Dodge City CC
LA Pierce CC
Louisville
Galivan CC
Tyler JC
Miss Gulf Coast
Buffalo
Tyler JC
Fresno City CC
Fullerton CC
Indiana
Cisco JC
Iowa Western CC
Chaffey CC
Scottsdale CC
Troy
Fresno City CC
Jacksonville State
Alabama A&M
Arkansas State
Itawamba CC
Hutchison CC
Butler CC
Jones County CC
Northeast Miss CC
Auburn
Miss Valley State CC
San Francisco CC
East Mississippi CC
Navarro JC
Glenville State CC
Jones County CC
Alabama A&M
Trinity Valley JC
Iowa Western JC
University of Cumberlands
Miss Gulf Coast CC
Western Kentucky
Northland C&T College
Miss Gulf Coast CC
Orange Coast CC
Univ of West Alabama
Fullerton CC
Scottsdale CC
Samford
Wyoming/Mesa JC
Iowa Western CC
North East Miss CC
Blinn JC
USF
Coffeyville CC
Iowa Western CC
Copiah Lincoln CC
Eastern Arizona CC

Bill Clark is a great coach don't get me wrong. But the was he was able to rebuild this roster would be like playing Madden with no salary cap while all the others team have it. He was able to wave academic requirements take borderline guys and had an unlimited amount of schollys to do it. Seth would have liked that when he took over a 1 win team.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Bill Clark is a great coach don't get me wrong. But the was he was able to rebuild this roster would be like playing Madden with no salary cap while all the others team have it. He was able to wave academic requirements take borderline guys and had an unlimited amount of schollys to do it. Seth would have liked that when he took over a 1 win team.

Yep.  Glad they're back in football but the NCAA sure was generous in getting back to being competitive.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

As they should have been. In the meantime the NCAA should've looked right down the road and threw 3 or 4 wrenches in that cheating machine in Tuscaloosa. 

I know exactly how that inquiry would go:

NCAA: "Were you guys colluding to defund UAB's football program in order to funnel more $ into UA's football program?"
UA Leadership: "Us??  Oh, no. We would never do something like that!!"
NCAA: "OK.  Hey, Tagovailoa is looking pretty good huh?  Good luck this season!!  We'll see you in the playoff!!"

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed.  I was a little surprised at how high our count was as well.

Many are walk-ons, I think about 9 of them. And many others do not play despite being on scholarship so we are not so familiar with them. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I know exactly how that inquiry would go:

NCAA: "Were you guys colluding to defund UAB's football program in order to funnel more $ into UA's football program?"
UA Leadership: "Us??  Oh, no. We would never do something like that!!"
NCAA: "OK.  Hey, Tagovailoa is looking pretty good huh?  Good luck this season!!  We'll see you in the playoff!!"

Oh definitely. But I'm also referring to the cheating they do in recruiting. It's disgusting and blatant and everyone knows it and the NCAA won't do shit about it. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Many are walk-ons, I think about 9 of them. And many others do not play despite being on scholarship so we are not so familiar with them. 

Agreed it might be better to look at the percentage of jucos/transfers in the two deep.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Agreed it might be better to look at the percentage of jucos/transfers in the two deep.

I think some of that can be attributable to the need to balance classes as well. When a new coach comes in and dismisses players or the players leave if you bring all of the new guys in the same class you are creating a bubble in the system that is tough. We have that a little bit with our junior class now. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Oh definitely. But I'm also referring to the cheating they do in recruiting. It's disgusting and blatant and everyone knows it and the NCAA won't do shit about it. 

I've always been suspicious of Alabama and other programs from around the P5 having a "slush fund" to funnel big money to the leaders of the NCAA.  Payoff, is that what you mean, Deep?  Yes, that's what I mean.

Think about the money that the P5 conferences rake in each year.  Maybe some of it goes back to the NCAA powers that be?

Just saying.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

3-3 Coastal Carolina went into Birmingham and blew UAB out. If they can do that...we can do that. Though they appear to be playing better football now. But whatever CC did, we need to do offensively. Study and duplicate. 

That game was at Coastal Carolina.  UAB has not lost a home game since restoring their program.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Even that count seems really high. Too high. 

While UAB had to reboot an entire program, UNT was left with serious roster problems from the McCarney era. Littrell was left to plug many holes due to a roster shortage. We should be getting back to normal over the next few seasons (which is also mind blowing what has been accomplished after huge attrition).

Edited by Aldo
  • Upvote 2