Just for the record

emmitt01

I figured I would see this argument thrown out (and it was in another thread) so I’ll just address it here.  

“Boise State dealt with the same attendance woes until they became a perennial winner”

Well, let’s examine that.  In 1999, their first true winning season (their 4th year in FBS) they went 10-3 and won the Big West.  The prior year they had gone 6-5.  So, they weren’t established winners.  

Not a single game had attendance below 20,000 (with several closer to 25,000).  And did I mention that it tends to be REALLY cold in Boise Idaho with...gasp...SNOW falling during many games???  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 10

12 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I figured I would see this argument thrown out (and it was in another thread) so I’ll just address it here.  

“Boise State dealt with the same attendance woes until they became a perennial winner”

Well, let’s examine that.  In 1999, their first true winning season (their 4th year in FBS) they went 10-3 and won the Big West.  The prior year they had gone 6-5.  So, they weren’t established winners.  

Not a single game had attendance below 20,000 (with several closer to 25,000).  And did I mention that it tends to be REALLY cold in Boise Idaho with...gasp...SNOW falling during many games???  

It was well documented on another thread that people prefer snow over rain.  If rain had fallen in Boise during those early Bronco seasons, I'll be their attendance would have been 1,052 on average.

LOL!

• Upvote 1

Different kind of market

Posted numbers we had 18,200 and something Saturday 

I would take snow any day over rain as long as it not mixed with rain. 

What is your point? Are you saying rain or shine our attendance needs to be the same?  Or our attendance Saturday did not hit a magic number of people in some people's mind? I guess you have a figure in mind. Butts in seats needed to be a different number and if so what number would that be? 

Still feels like going over the top fan shaming to me.  I wonder how could that possibly help? 

37 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

In 1999, their first true winning season (their 4th year in FBS) they went 10-3 and won the Big West.  The prior year they had gone 6-5.  

A certain mean green coaching legend beat Boise in that 1999 season, it’s too bad he couldn’t beat anyone else in the Big West.

• Sad 1

Boise doesn't exactly have a ton of pro options or other entertainment options to consider for the good folks up that way. And, of course, Boise fans never watched their school get self-demoted to a low level of play for 12 years, then follow up with several years of losing. Boise basically did the exact opposite of this, while taking advantage of their market size to become the only game in town.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

This isn't a problem unique to UNT. It's a problem you see all across DFW -- no matter the team, most people are fair-weather fans. To those same fans, our game against USM was "just another game" and didn't have anything special enough about it that the casual fan would notice in the 2 seconds they take to consider going to the game. Was it a well-known or highly-ranked team? The average fan doesn't care much about USM, and they're not highly-ranked. Did this game have a special label, such as "homecoming" or "xxxx championship"? Nope, not that either. All they know is that its a game they're not drawn to, and it's (supposedly) going to rain. That's all they need to make a decision.

Edited by dmaxel
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, dmaxel said:

This isn't a problem unique to UNT. It's a problem you see all across the country

Fixed it. College football has an attendance issue that has been well-documented over the last few years.

CBS Sports- Overall

Yahoo Sports- Overall

Idaho Statesman- Boise State

CBS Sports- Alabama Students

The Seattle Times- USC

Edited by DentonLurker
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Not a single game they had had a REPORTED game under 20,000. Please, keep numbers you read on the internet in perspective. Also, want to go back in time and check to see if they had their wettest day in Boise in 40 years on a game day with Tornado warnings in the area? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KingDL1 said:

Different kind of market

Posted numbers we had 18,200 and something Saturday 

I would take snow any day over rain as long as it not mixed with rain. 

What is your point? Are you saying rain or shine our attendance needs to be the same?  Or our attendance Saturday did not hit a magic number of people in some people's mind? I guess you have a figure in mind. Butts in seats needed to be a different number and if so what number would that be? 

Still feels like going over the top fan shaming to me.  I wonder how could that possibly help? 

After our loss that night vs Tech he was dead set that our attendance would not see a dip. And truth be told we may not have seen one had we had 65 degrees and no rain. Also, truth be told, we would have had more than 5k fans had we been playing for 7-0 and not had to squeak out a W vs UTEP the previous week. 

And no, the fan shaming doesn't help a thing on this board. Who does he think he is, Nick Saban? 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

And did I mention that it tends to be REALLY cold in Boise Idaho with...gasp...SNOW falling during many games???  

You can't really be comparing snow in Boise with tornado warnings and thunder storms causing weather delays. Snow will never cause attendance to go down in places like Boise, Green Bay, or Denver. It's what they live with their like us with 100 degree weather in the early games of the season. Give then tornado warnings and thunder storms and watch that attendance dip.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

After our loss that night vs Tech he was dead set that our attendance would not see a dip. And truth be told we may not have seen one had we had 65 degrees and no rain. Also, truth be told, we would have had more than 5k fans had we been playing for 7-0 and not had to squeak out a W vs UTEP the previous week. 

And no, the fan shaming doesn't help a thing on this board. Who does he think he is, Nick Saban? 

Old North Texas fan excuse: You’re not winning

New North Texas fan excuse: You’re not winning by enough, against the right people

I can’t wait for tomorrow’s excuses.

And this “fan shaming” business is hilarious to me.  Why so sensitive folks? 

What the hell is that, is it anything like “fat shaming”?  You know who fat shaming doesn’t effect?  People who don’t think they’re fat.  But if the inexplicably large spandex pants fit....

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 11

It's funny how people always draw the true fan line at whatever they themselves are doing.

I didn't see a lot of green clad folks in El Paso.  I probably won't see many in Birmingham this weekend.  I never understand why we don't travel better to conference games but I don't really see the point in starting threads to call people out.  

14 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Old North Texas fan excuse: You’re not winning

New North Texas fan excuse: You’re not winning by enough, against the right people

I can’t wait for tomorrow’s excuses.

And this “fan shaming” business is hilarious to me.  Why so sensitive folks? 

What the hell is that, is it anything like “fat shaming”?  You know who fat shaming doesn’t effect?  People who don’t think they’re fat.  But if the inexplicably large spandex pants fit....

No it's like calling people out because you don't think they care as much as you do. 

I didn't like my crew and I had an entire endzone bleacher to ourselves. It was a dead game with no energy (except of course the excessive amount of energy that PA system uses). But I know people have young children. I know many elderly can't make it out in those conditions. I know the kind of student our academic curriculum attracts. I know that rain takes away from student tailgating so that rules out the phuck bois in white wash jeans and polo hats and the girls they're chasing clad in sundresses and boots. 

But the one thing I certainly know, Emmitt is the world's best UNT fan ever. Get this man a plaque. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 5

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

It's funny how people always draw the true fan line at whatever they themselves are doing.

I didn't see a lot of green clad folks in El Paso.  I probably won't see many in Birmingham this weekend.  I never understand why we don't travel better to conference games but I don't really see the point in starting threads to call people out.  

But, but, but it’s my prerogative not to fly to another city (or drive a long distance), rent a car (or get an Uber), book a hotel, and be away from home for the entire weekend*

*Because I am confident you believe that doing so is in any way comparable to driving in from the metroplex to a home game.  And if you did start a thread about it, I am certain that a good many would feel compelled to list their myriad excuses for why they didn’t travel...instead of ignoring it if they truly feel their reasons are valid enough to stand without explanation

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

But, but, but it’s my prerogative not to fly to another city (or drive a long distance), rent a car (or get an Uber), book a hotel, and be away from home for the entire weekend*

*Because I am confident you believe that doing so is in any way comparable to driving in from the metroplex to a home game.  And if you did start a thread about it, I am certain that a good many would feel compelled to list their myriad excuses for why they didn’t travel...instead of ignoring it if they truly feel their reasons are valid enough to stand without explanation

We get it Emmitt!  Seriously, you're a fantastic fan!   We need more like you.

I was at this game with you.   I bet the other folks chiming in here were too.
We're the die-hards.   You're barking up the wrong tree here.

Unfortunately, North Texas does not have the fan base you're trying to berate.   I'm pretty sure you know that, so I'm not sure why the low turnout would surprise you.   Is it frustrating?  Yes!

But if "generic dad" who follows the team and occasionally buys tickets to the game decides, "You know what?  I don't really feel like dragging my family out in this today, so I'm going to stay home and watch football on TV with them instead.", then that is for him to decide.   And I bet he doesn't feel bad about it either, despite what you say or Wren Baker, or anyone else says.   This is the kind of guy who will, hopefully, eventually turn into a season-ticket holder in a year or two after multiple winning seasons.  Then, he's a die-hard like you & me, and we can hold him to this standard you're setting.  

We'll get there soon enough, now that we have wheels in motion with leadership that can hopefully get us there.   But as a fan base in general, we're just not there yet.   

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

Mean Green Fan living in Boise here (for the past five years)...  Boise isn't that cold.  Until it gets into December/late November. Even then, it is a dry cold that nothing that a good jacket, a beanie, gloves, and some hot cocoa won't cure. I go to a BSU game in November every year here. I prefer the cold here than the more-humid cold to Dallas anyday.  

But, UNT's stadium is far better than BSU's and so is all the amenities.  Honestly, their stadium really sucks and I struggle seeing (facility-wise) how they are consistently a top 25 program.  And the gameday atmosphere is better at UNT than BSU (except the weather is much better at Boise).  And nothing beats Texas food.  With that said, BSU football is the only show in town on Saturday nights.  They compete with the likes of a Dallas Stars farm system program in the Steelheads, and another low level baseball program called the Hawks.  That is it.  Attendance has been waning here at BSU - not just because they are only winning 8-9 games a year lately as opposed to their 10-11 before, but most argue that it is because the program caters to television putting them much later at night or on Thursdays (from seasons past).  They still fill a stadium for the most part. But, it isn't as full as it used to be.  I would love UNT to have the consistent draw that BSU does. 

Regardless, I love UNT and i look forward to coming back for Homecoming. I have adopted BSU as a secondary school because of my connection to them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Not a single game they had had a REPORTED game under 20,000. Please, keep numbers you read on the internet in perspective. 

Your right, it was better to hear about their crowds on radio when we played there and watched their games and/or highlights on TV.  Actually sounded and looked like more than 20,000.

Rick

• Upvote 1

As the population of the DFW area increases so will the demand for entertainment. If a winning North Texas football program can coincide with that population boom, the future looks bright. I know this keeps being said but North Texas needs to keep winning and if they can sprinkle in a signature win against P5s or conference championships consistently, they will capture more and more of the market share. Anyway my .2 cents 

GMG 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Travis said:

Mean Green Fan living in Boise here (for the past five years)...  Boise isn't that cold.  Until it gets into December/late November. Even then, it is a dry cold that nothing that a good jacket, a beanie, gloves, and some hot cocoa won't cure. I go to a BSU game in November every year here. I prefer the cold here than the more-humid cold to Dallas anyday.  

But, UNT's stadium is far better than BSU's and so is all the amenities.  Honestly, their stadium really sucks and I struggle seeing (facility-wise) how they are consistently a top 25 program.  And the gameday atmosphere is better at UNT than BSU (except the weather is much better at Boise).  And nothing beats Texas food.  With that said, BSU football is the only show in town on Saturday nights.  They compete with the likes of a Dallas Stars farm system program in the Steelheads, and another low level baseball program called the Hawks.  That is it.  Attendance has been waning here at BSU - not just because they are only winning 8-9 games a year lately as opposed to their 10-11 before, but most argue that it is because the program caters to television putting them much later at night or on Thursdays (from seasons past).  They still fill a stadium for the most part. But, it isn't as full as it used to be.  I would love UNT to have the consistent draw that BSU does. 

Regardless, I love UNT and i look forward to coming back for Homecoming. I have adopted BSU as a secondary school because of my connection to them.

Too bad you didn’t get to see our loss there in a fridges blizzard in 1994 when a Mitch Maher Pass was intercepted by a one-armed DB that sealed our exit from the playoffs.  

Hell of a game to have seen.

Rick

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Your right, it was better to hear about their crowds on radio when we played there and watched their games and/or highlights on TV.  Actually sounded and looked like more than 20,000.

Rick

No, it didn't. You aren't the only one privy of watching that program grow and develop. They use to play a ton of their games on weekdays and I remember them vividly. You don't see them on tv much often anymore ever since the MWC opted out of weekday schedules. 

• Upvote 1