MGN: NT AT UAB FOR THE DIVISION

aztecskin

https://meangreennation.com/this-uab-game-is-for-the-division/

Tie breaking scenarios contained within.

If I were not an NT fan, I would be rooting for an NT win simply for the fact that it means that a three way tie means that 1) we will all care about the CFP decisions, and 2) those money games Tech and UAB scheduled could determine their fate in the league.

UPDATE: 

Put the stuff about the CFP being 25 teams only.

Edited by aztecskin
  • Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Miss State doesn't count.

Well, in the scenario I laid out it could move them down the CFP which might give NT the boost to win that tiebreaker.

2 minutes ago, strikes said:

Call me crazy, but I think UTEP takes the W over LA Tech. They are absolutely starving for a win. They gave us a run for our money.

I said on this week's CUSAReport podcast that I think they upset someone. Could be.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, strikes said:

Call me crazy, but I think UTEP takes the W over LA Tech. They are absolutely starving for a win. They gave us a run for our money.

I dunno if they can travel to Ruston & win (although they had a bye last week, so 2 weeks to prepare), but ... UAB at home the next weekend...  that one may be one to watch.  Especially if UNT can give them anything to see/exploit on film.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

None of us are going to have a CFP ranking. That tie breaker is irrelevant. We are doomed in a 3-way tie because we played in the title game last year. 

The CFP ranks almost every team if not actually every FBS team. CUSA wouldn't have included it in the tie breakers if the teams weren't likely to be ranked. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

8 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

The CFP ranks almost every team if not actually every FBS team. CUSA wouldn't have included it in the tie breakers if the teams weren't likely to be ranked. 

Does it? The BCS did but I can’t find any info past the top 25 about the CFP. I thought the same but now I am not so sure.  Perhaps this tie breaker was a holdover from the BCS days and is now obsolete? Or they really meant that if a top 25 team was in the tie breaker than it would be best for the conference if that team were the champion. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, strikes said:

I am also crazy. They’re going to win a game, I just don’t see them going winless two years in a row. 

5 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

We discussed this on the podcast tonight. I think a 1-loss NT team gets the 25th spot in the CFP. 

Beside that, I think the league just changed it over from the BCS, thinking it was going to be enough. For what it is worth, I think Tech loses one more game. This is still the de-facto division title game. UAB would need to drop two games against one of UTEP, UTSA, USM, or Middle and LA Tech would need to win out for the Bulldogs to win the west. Possible, but unlikely. 

The tiebreaker after CFP goes to the team that has the longest drought of playing in the conference championship game. 

I do see your point that a theoretical 11-1 NT team might be able to sneak into the CFP rankings. If we can’t and La Tech does not lose again, we lose on the final tiebreak. Period. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1

12 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

What kind of Mickey Mouse bullshit is that? I’d rather lose on a coin toss 

Right.   That seems like the exact opposite of what a conference would want to do: set up a team for continued success so they can bouy your entire conference... a-la Boise/MWC.   A high tide raises all ships.

• Lovely Take 1

14 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Those kinds of rules have been around for decades.

There are a million metrics and rankings out there, so to pick a team because they've sucked for longer is totally asinine. You could go down the list of offensive and defensive rankings, and it would be more fair than that rule.

• Ray 1