G5 Bias is Engrained

TheColonyEagle

11 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

UCF was ranked #10 going into this weekend.  They win, 4 teams ahead of them lose... They are ranked #10 this week.

Glass. Ceiling.  

I wouldn't expect them to move up 4 spots, but maybe 1.   They really struggled with their win this week VS Memphis.   That game to close out their season @ #21 USF will tell the tale.

Give them an undefeated season, and let the other top 9 teams lose some games, and I could see them ranked in the top 5.  The noise will get very loud then.  You can't have an undefeated, top 5 team left out... right?

• Upvote 1

Yep the college football post season is totally bogus.  They are producing a TV show instead of a legitimate way to determine a Champion especially if winning your conference is NOT a requirement for entry to the playoff.  A team that doesn't play an two year undefeated UCF is not a legitimate National Champion.  It almost as bad as boxing.  You tell the undefeated fighter he hasn't fought anyone to earn a title shot yet all the "somebodies" are scared to fight him.  The NCAA should void all FBS vs FBS out of conference game contracts that aren't home and home (or 2 for 1) or legitimate neutral sight games where revenue is split  50/50.  The greed a bias against G5 hurts the overall College Football product

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

There is no doubt significant G5 bias exists and that it is stronger in the reporters than in the coaches. But I'll bet those were two different people making the comments about needed to schedule better teams and then Pitt being proven. Peter Burns on the SEC network must not realize that most schools schedule non-conference games four to six year out or more. 

I still feel like the G5s should give their players and coaches a chance to be a national champion by having their own playoff during December. UCF goes undefeated last year, then gets a game against Auburn in a NY6 bowl game, wins it, and doesn't even get a whiff of a national champion vote.

I'd love a 12 team playoff, with the top four getting a bye, then playing the games at home of the top seed until a neutral site championship game. That would be so much better than what our postseason is now, which was underscored last year by FAU winning CUSA and being "rewarded" by getting a MAC team at home for their bowl game. We got Troy in the NO Bowl after winning our division because the Independence Bowl wanted USM to play FSU instead of us. Neither game really mattered much at all for anybody.

• Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

UCF goes undefeated last year, then gets a game against Auburn in a NY6 bowl game, wins it, and doesn't even get a whiff of a national champion vote.

1984 BYU would've had zero chance under today's system. In fact, I believe to this day that 1984 BYU is what set all this crap in motion because the blue chip programs got together and agreed that they couldn't let that nonsense happen again. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

1984 BYU would've had zero chance under today's system. In fact, I believe to this day that 1984 BYU is what set all this crap in motion because the blue chip programs got together and agreed that they couldn't let that nonsense happen again. 

Yep--this was not deemed acceptable and has never been allowed to come close to happening again. Heck, even P5 teams like TCU weren't given a chance to be in the playoff at the expense of a blue blood team like Ohio State, even though they were ranked 3rd in the playoff poll the week before the playoff pairings were announced and then beat their opponent by 50 in the last game. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Isn't this what everyone left when they wanted to be elevated from FCS to FBS?

Well, we would be playing against much better known teams than we did at FCS. And you give your players, coaches, and fans a chance to claim a national championship, which G5s are the only level of football anywhere that doesn't get a champion crowned.

G5s aren't relegated because they choose to be. They take the money because they need it. The P5s probably have too many teams, as opposed to too few. Schools like Baylor, Vanderbilt, Oregon State, Rutgers, and Wake Forest are all just examples of teams that are along for the ride on the teat of the power teams in their leagues. In all honesty, the Power Level should have about 40 teams, the next level should have about 60 schools, and then the remaining schools should probably be in a FBS/FCS alignment. The rankings of these teams should be completely dependent on revenues, nothing more, nothing less. That keeps SMU or Houston from cheating the system by spending outrageously for a short time to make it look bigger than it really is. ULM is quasi-FCS because of their revenues so they are in the bottom, for example. Then you have teams like us that are clearly in the second tier of revenue. And finally, you have the bigger public Texas schools, like Tech, A&M, and UT that would be in the Power 40 level.

I know this--when the Big XII dies off, there are at least 3 schools, maybe more, that become G5 schools immediately. And when the next GOR retires for the ACC, the SEC and Big Ten will swallow up their valuable parts, too and make it even more separate, as teams like Wake Forest, Boston College, etc...get left behind. The Powers that be aren't letting people in anymore--they will be kicking people out. Their media and their networks and their power in Congress/legislatures will never allow their golden geese to be hurt. The NCAA has no control here and if they try it, then the other schools will create their own association anyway, which may occur no matter what.

Its why I love the regionalization model of closer teams for conference play with teams that our fans know about and care about and can see them easily. We are very close to getting even better names from the P5s to join in our level of play. And that will be great for our program and others like ours, those that have been left out perpetually by the P5 Machine. Possibly being in a conference setup someday that involved teams like TCU, SMU, UH, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, and others would be a gift from God around here, since we have had to share conferences over the decades with teams no one cares about around here until very recently.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

The real kick in the nuts is OU jumping UCF to #9 while on their bye week 

Exactly--OU hasn't looked real good of late, while UCF won a dogfight against a pretty solid program on the road at Memphis. To drop behind them is just more fuel to the fire that proves my point of the P5 media and networks just protecting the investment. The $$$ are just too big to ignore, as much as that sucks to admit...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Green Lantern said:

^ This all day. We self relegate.

Even knuckle dragging head coaches at CUSA media day were using the term when asked about the playoffs and the current setup. They are just here to get paid and noy get fired. There is 0 end all. And playing our own little championship game is NOT the solution. The solution is for our presidents and AD's across the country demand inclusion or take action. Quit playing the bluebloods and their sister counterparts if that's what it takes. Many programs can't live without those games, but they can't play 12 games vs themselves. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Even knuckle dragging head coaches at CUSA media day were using the term when asked about the playoffs and the current setup. They are just here to get paid and noy get fired. There is 0 end all. And playing our own little championship game is NOT the solution. The solution is for our presidents and AD's across the country demand inclusion or take action. Quit playing the bluebloods and their sister counterparts if that's what it takes. Many programs can't live without those games, but they can't play 12 games vs themselves. 

There aren't enough funds or schools with any sway (sans maybe UCONN because of their B-ball?) to fight against the likes of Texas, Michigan, Florida, et al. who have resources for days and many many people in VERY high places.

• Lovely Take 1

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

There aren't enough funds or schools with any sway (sans maybe UCONN because of their B-ball?) to fight against the likes of Texas, Michigan, Florida, et al. who have resources for days and many many people in VERY high places.

There are 66 (I think) FBS div 1 'G5' presidents and AD's. It would have to be a full participation to get the ball moving. But no way do I believe the horses aren't in the barn to get the conversations going and make it a long term top CFB headline and talking piece. 

1 minute ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

There are 66 (I think) FBS div 1 'G5' presidents and AD's. It would have to be a full participation to get the ball moving. But no way do I believe the horses aren't in the barn to get the conversations going and make it a long term top CFB headline and talking piece. 

I'd love to see it happen... but I don't know if it will.   That would likely engage the actual schism that officially brings about what the P5 schools have already somewhat created for themselves.

But yeah, I agree with you when talking about the G5 schools taking their ball and going home to create their own "championship".   That just legitimizes what the P5 schools are trying to insinuate.

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

Well, we would be playing against much better known teams than we did at FCS. And you give your players, coaches, and fans a chance to claim a national championship, which G5s are the only level of football anywhere that doesn't get a champion crowned.

So FCS 2.0. Got it. I actually think this is exactly what the P5s hope happens.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, DentonLurker said:

So FCS 2.0. Got it. I actually think this is exactly what the P5s hope happens.

It’d be better than it is now, where P5s rarely play a bowl game against the G5’s as a regular scheduled opponent. There might be 3-5 bowl games scheduled between a G5 and a P5, and it’s usually a G5 conference champ against the 8-10th place finisher in a P5 league.

Thats taking crumbs 

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I still feel like the G5s should give their players and coaches a chance to be a national champion by having their own playoff during December. UCF goes undefeated last year, then gets a game against Auburn in a NY6 bowl game, wins it, and doesn't even get a whiff of a national champion vote.

I'd love a 12 team playoff, with the top four getting a bye, then playing the games at home of the top seed until a neutral site championship game. That would be so much better than what our postseason is now, which was underscored last year by FAU winning CUSA and being "rewarded" by getting a MAC team at home for their bowl game. We got Troy in the NO Bowl after winning our division because the Independence Bowl wanted USM to play FSU instead of us. Neither game really mattered much at all for anybody.

It would be great if we could have the champion of each conference in the FBS all play in the playoffs. To me.. I'm really more interested in the other bowls, than the playoffs. The playoff is the same thing every year, Alabama or Clemson and then some random 2 teams that we knew after game 2 of the season they'd be in there. Boring... Then there is some team that gets shafted out of the final 4, (like TCU a few years ago) and then we're back at square 1.

• Upvote 1